Under Calories - Suggestions?

Options
Do you guys find that when you try to "be good" and eat healthy for a day that it is hard to eat your required # of calories?? I feel like I ate all day, but because it was healthy food (and therefore very low calorie) I was way under my calorie target.

For example, today I had an egg, toast, turkey bacon for breakfast. Lentil soup and salad for lunch. Chicken breast, salad, steamed veggies for supper. A few pieces of fruit, plus yogurt and almonds for snacks. I barely hit 1000 calories, but I felt full all day.

How can I get more healthy calories in (especially when I don't feel hungry and really don't want to eat junk food (it's my binge trigger)???

Replies

• MaKisMom
    MaKisMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know, too. I'm having the same problem.
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    Same here! And then to add those exercise calories, I can barely make it to the minimum 1200 calories. Can't wait to hear suggestions.
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    Oops, posted twice.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Snacking on nuts and seeds is a great way to get in extra calories - they are very calorie dense, but high in protein and healthy fats.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stock up on calorie dense but good for you foods, nuts, I always have almonds around, a tbsp of peanut butter goes a long way for filling you up, if you use natural stuff its healthy too barring nut allergies.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey! I talked to a close friend of mine who has been a nurse for a very long time. I told her that I had the same issue, and she told me not to worry about it! If you feel full, have eaten healthy items all day, the calories do not matter as much. Just don't starve yourself in the process. Please do not consume more calories JUST to satisfy a calorie counter...

I have followed her advice for almost 4 weeks now, continue to have energy, lose weight and feel great! Good luck :D
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Tried peanut butter? Very filling and not much 'bad' stuff.
    I use it to fill the gap when I've been too good (!) all day.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Stock up on calorie dense but good for you foods, nuts, I always have almonds around, a tbsp of peanut butter goes a long way for filling you up, if you use natural stuff its healthy too barring nut allergies.

Agreed.

Additionally, don't use low-fat versions of higher fat foods. Not all fat is bad; and when reduced is often replaced with refined sugar.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested that if I'm 1-200 calories under to just drink a glass of skim milk. Low fat, good protein, and 90 cals for an 8ounce glass....
  • LinsdayMV
    LinsdayMV Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I am going to stock up on trail mix, switch to regular yogurt, and have a bowl of milk and berries tonight!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I'm so envious. I wish I had that problem. It is hard for me not to go over. I guess I must like larger portions than you. Good luck to you. It sounds like you have gotten some good advice! :wink:
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem. I am beside myself when I see someone complete their diary and they have only consumed 700-900 calories and are full. Really? Wow. So I guess if you are eating below your suggested calories and are losing weight then EXCELLENT. But if you aren't losing weight then maybe you should try to eat a little more.
    Also, you may try rolling over your calories to me.