Stressors that cause binging....

Options
Hi there!

I am having a terrible time with stressors in my life and giving in to binging to comfort myself. It's been that way all weekend for me. And when TOM is near, the same thing.

I'm just wondering how do you deal with these things to keep from binging? Thanks in advance for the advice! I really appreciate it!

Replies

• ErinJ1981
    ErinJ1981 Posts: 72
    Options
    I would like to know too!!! Especially when TOM is coming. All I want is salt and chocolate.
  • krystalstardust
    krystalstardust Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    just tell yourself you don't eat those things. Try finding something else that can take your mind off of your problems. When you think of binging decide to work out instead. idk, just some thoughts.
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    UGH!! TOM is EVIL for binging!! however I've recently fell in love with Special K POP chips - Especially the sour cream n onion ones...I pre- package mine in baggies - you get 27 chips in a serving. So I divide them out and I can just grab them and go!! :) I also love the Blazin' Buffalo Almonds, I put the servings in baggies also. The new Jello Temptations are a good way to cure a chocolate temptation...
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Crispy things (ie, fries, Pringles, chicken fingers, oh my!) that's what I want when I start getting tempted to eat too much. I try to think about how terrible I will feel when the bingeing is all over and I have to re-do what I have undone. Also, I try to think about how much it costs me to binge and overeat and since I don't make a lot of money, that tends to thwart the binge.

When TOM is coming, I want BEER!

I am trying to train myself to drink a glass of water at the slightest feeling of hunger, especially if it is a craving for something evil.

That probably doesn't help a lot; I hope it doesn't make you want Pringles now.
    Amy
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    a lot of it is mental im afraid! The stronger you are,the stronger you get! Post EVERYTHING on MFP and have your friends critique it. That way you will be forced to think twice about what you eat.
    Eat well during the day, especially breakfast. Eat good whole foods that keep you full. Dont sit in front of the TV all night. Go for a walk, its hard to eat on a walk and being in front of the tv means its easy to binge eat.
    Brush your teeth after dinner, only water tastes any good after that!
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Crispy things (ie, fries, Pringles, chicken fingers, oh my!) that's what I want when I start getting tempted to eat too much. I try to think about how terrible I will feel when the bingeing is all over and I have to re-do what I have undone. Also, I try to think about how much it costs me to binge and overeat and since I don't make a lot of money, that tends to thwart the binge.

When TOM is coming, I want BEER!

I am trying to train myself to drink a glass of water at the slightest feeling of hunger, especially if it is a craving for something evil.

That probably doesn't help a lot; I hope it doesn't make you want Pringles now.
    Amy

LOL...no, all suggestions are helpful! Thank you for responding :0)
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too!!! Especially when TOM is coming. All I want is salt and chocolate.

I had my TOM last week and I was craving chocolate so I bought the 100 calorie packs of the Blue Diamond almonds- cocoa roasted dark chocolate almonds. They got out my sweet tooth and filled me up. I also had some strawberries and used 1-2 tablespoons of the sugar free chocolate syrup and it was like having chocolate covered strawberries.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I let myself have small servings of what I'm craving. If it's something chocolate - I have hershey's miniatures or 'pack a snack' size bars and I'll have a serving (2 minis, 1 snack size). If it's something salty, I'll do wheat thins or all bran crackers. Or pop chips work too! I'm more of the moderation model than anything. It's been working!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    at 52 my time of the month is gone - BUT not my stressors or the urge to binge....

I simply (NOT EASILY THOUGH) had to learn to replace the urge to binge with something else.......did i say NOT EASY?

But it can be done :)

Find something, ONE thing, that interests you and do an experiment: just try it and see if it can take your mind off the stressor.

It's the only thing that worked for me.

best :flowerforyou:
  • tamanella
    Options
    These are some really good suggetions! Thank you!
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have a theory,

I once said something to my friend Amie on here that getting mental hobbies... like reading about a subject that you LOVE want to further your education on.... would be a great distraction for your brain to keep it off your stomach. I know that probably won't always work, but directing your mind to other things deliberately. I don't know.

A funny take on this would be start thinking about things that really gross you out!!! LOL!!!
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    I ended up joining a gym to help relieve all the stress in my life right now. I was able to find one that was only 30 bucks a month and no long term contract. I have found that my work out routine is something I can focus on and have control over, when I can't control most of the life and situational stress our household is going through at this time.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    pretty much was Julia said!! :0)
  • goatstew
    goatstew Posts: 50
    Options
    I was having a really hard time last night, and it got me thinking. All I wanted to do was to eat and eat and eat, not just to comfort myself, but also because at that moment I didn't like myself. It wasn't just for comfort, but a punishment. In that moment of self-loathing I wanted to eat for a temporary happy feeling and because I didn't feel I deserved to be healthy anyway. But I do. We all do. We all are much greater than we often give ourselves credit for. We forget who we are. Plus, we only get one life and one body. I've already spent so long comforting and punishing mine, that I want to spend time loving my body, and learning to love myself. I can't do that if I keep punishing myself with food. I guess doing a little soul searching and attacking the reason you want to eat sometimes helps. I also log EVERYTHING in, or try to, because I hate looking at what I've done wrong and what I'm doing to myself. It motivates me to do better the next day. Plus, if I just work through wanting to eat, and exercise hard or something, I get on an exercise high that's more gratifying than giving in to temptation (and indigestion, and heartburn :) .) It feels so good to be in control of something in my life, and when I stay in control of what I eat, I am less stressed out by all the chaos of life. It is so hard to break old habits and get over emotional eating. I KNOW it. But I tell myself everyday, it is so worth it. And I feel good every time I make a healthy meal and know I'm feeding myself, and my family, food that's fuel for their body, not just junk. And every time I get on the scale or measure myself and see myself shrinking, I feel victorious. So, soul search, find a distraction (exercise works well,) and remember that you're worth it, and how good it feels to win. I hope this helps at all.
  • tamanella
    Options
    I have a theory,

I once said something to my friend Amie on here that getting mental hobbies... like reading about a subject that you LOVE want to further your education on.... would be a great distraction for your brain to keep it off your stomach. I know that probably won't always work, but directing your mind to other things deliberately. I don't know.

A funny take on this would be start thinking about things that really gross you out!!! LOL!!!

This is a great idea! I love to read and I could do that to divert my attention. Thank you!
  • tamanella
    Options
    I was having a really hard time last night, and it got me thinking. All I wanted to do was to eat and eat and eat, not just to comfort myself, but also because at that moment I didn't like myself. It wasn't just for comfort, but a punishment. In that moment of self-loathing I wanted to eat for a temporary happy feeling and because I didn't feel I deserved to be healthy anyway. But I do. We all do. We all are much greater than we often give ourselves credit for. We forget who we are. Plus, we only get one life and one body. I've already spent so long comforting and punishing mine, that I want to spend time loving my body, and learning to love myself. I can't do that if I keep punishing myself with food. I guess doing a little soul searching and attacking the reason you want to eat sometimes helps. I also log EVERYTHING in, or try to, because I hate looking at what I've done wrong and what I'm doing to myself. It motivates me to do better the next day. Plus, if I just work through wanting to eat, and exercise hard or something, I get on an exercise high that's more gratifying than giving in to temptation (and indigestion, and heartburn :) .) It feels so good to be in control of something in my life, and when I stay in control of what I eat, I am less stressed out by all the chaos of life. It is so hard to break old habits and get over emotional eating. I KNOW it. But I tell myself everyday, it is so worth it. And I feel good every time I make a healthy meal and know I'm feeding myself, and my family, food that's fuel for their body, not just junk. And every time I get on the scale or measure myself and see myself shrinking, I feel victorious. So, soul search, find a distraction (exercise works well,) and remember that you're worth it, and how good it feels to win. I hope this helps at all.

I agree, some soul searching is needed. I need to love myself like you were talking about. Thank you for your advice!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I took up knitting and crochet to distract myself at the beginning of my journey. I'm a creative person, and I don't think I have enough creativity in my life.

Don't forget to find things other than food to nurture yourself. Be kind to yourself in times of stress, you deserve it.

GG
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    YOU've really touched a lot of us...emotional eating is something we do! thank you for posting HUG

some of the things I like to do when I feel emotional stressor:

dance to music in my own living room

buy and arrange flowers

like lyonsryons2 - read something to teach me something new....

try my very hardest to breathe and relax.....

never easy....but so worth the effort.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options

I agree, some soul searching is needed. I need to love myself like you were talking about. Thank you for your advice!

Totally agree with both of you. figuring out why was huge for me...now on the road to taking care of me...not just everyone else :flowerforyou: God Bless!!!

Pam
  • bsprowl
    bsprowl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i found this post to be really inspiring....