Stomach getting larger?

healthyandthin
healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I eat very healthy and exercise regularly. I'm gaining muscles on my legs and arms and I'm thin enough to to see my rib cages. However, the part below my rib cages and above my hips isn't getting toned at all. In fact, that area seems to be growing larger and fatter over the weeks despite doing ab workouts. I'm confused and I don't know what's going on.

Replies

• Just a thought, Try a variety of core workouts, focusing just on Abs might be the problem? Its worth a shot.
    I hope this helps.

Kevin
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Apparently, cardio is the best way to lose belly fat as ab work outs just tone the muscle under the fat...which can make you look fatter as the muscle then pushes the fat out a bit
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    I have a "pouch' no matter how thin I get and if I gain wait it gets very large. I have noticed that since it's the last place I loose the weight ( or inches, really) as I am loosing inches in other areas, i.e. rib cage, hips, butt, etc. It APPEARS as though it is getting more pronounced since everything around it is melting away. My progress eventually catches up in that area and I go back to just a small "pouch' but it definately is disconcerting when you are just beginning to pick up momentum and that area is not following suit!
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    I am struggling with this too! I've lost weight everywhere else but the tummy is still hanging on for dear life, and like you said, it even feels like it's getting larger. I'm wondering if maybe it's just temporary bloating due to issues like water, sodium, TOM etc, and I'm just noticing it more now that there's not so much fat around that area? Like before I never noticed I was bloated because there was too much fat disguising it?! Either way it's really getting me down...I've upped my cardio in the hope it will blast the fat away...
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    You say "seems to be growing larger and fatter" but have you actually measured yourself? You might be getting smaller all around but more slowly around the middle so relative to the rest of your body, it seems larger. For me, I've always had the fluffiness around the middle, but it's become less pronounced since I've been doing cardio regularly. When I do lots of ab work, I can feel the ripple of muscle but I can never seem them because there's this padding over it. I know it's harder for women to have a visible 6 pack and I've mostly given up on it. I'm happy if the stomach looks kinda flat when I first wake up in the morning lol!
  • I have the exact same thing. What works for me is decreasing my carbs (including cutting booze), but upping my fiber intake, and loads of cardio. Also try lowering bad fats and eating only fats found in fish, nuts, and avocado. That's the tried and tested bit...big changes but it works.
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks everyone! It's goo do know I'm not alone with this tummy problem. I'm going to take your suggestions in mind.
This discussion has been closed.