What am i doing wrong?

starsarahs
starsarahs Posts: 10
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my diet two weeks ago. Initially i had to guess my weight before i got my scales. When i got my scales a week later i realised i had over guessed my weight - so instantly i lost pounds!

Anyway, i had my first week weigh in yesterday and i have now put on 1.5lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been working so hard. I have been eating under my calorie allowance each day and jogging for 20mins five days a week.

What am i doing wrong? I am trying so hard and have cut everything i love (food wise) out of my life and then i put on weight! To me it does not make any sense!!

HELP!

Replies

• how often are you weighing yourself?
  • Once a week. I only started two weeks ago. Weighed myself for the first time last Tuesday - second time this morning!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    There are many factors that can come into play....that time of the month, sodium intake, converting fat into muscle, not eating enough calories, eating too many calories, not drinking enough water, weighing at different times of the day......and on and on and on. It is hard to know without seeing all your stats (food diary, etc) what exactly it is. Also do you measure your food for 100% accuracy? Do you nibble without reporting it?
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Don't get discouraged. You must remember muscle weights more then fat. You are probably gaining muscle. Keep tracking and exercising and you will loose the weight. The same thing happened to me. Your doing great. Keep it up.
  • suni1984
    suni1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Hey there!

Don't be discouraged. You should weigh yourself on the same day each week, ideally before breakfast. If you have been drinking lots of water, the increase in pounds could be due to water retention and so you need to check your sodium intake.

I would also recommend that you try to meet your calorie intake each day as sometimes not eating enough can make you put on weight as your body will store fat if it is not getting enough food.

Finally, it has only been 2 weeks and sometimes it takes a while for the body to adapt to a new food diet. Keep at it and I'm sure you will see results in the next couple of weeks!

Good luck!!

S :)
  • well ivelearned from this site that if you dont intake enuf calories even though you are within your limit your body goes into starvation mode and can make u gain weight, so basically are you getting as close to your calorie allowence as you possibly can especially with you exercising, if not this could be a cause
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    1. You may need to kick up your game with your wokrouts. Adding in circuit training and interval training

2. As a Trainer I can not really say on your Nutrition because I can not see your diary.

3. Being Consistant is the Key!

4. Working hard

5. It is not always about how little you eat or what your cut Out but eating healthy clean foods and fueling your body.

6. You have to have a balance with eating enough and working out smart.

It has only been a few weeks and it may take a while to get into a good routine.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Firstly - the body can react badly to sudden changes initially. You've cut "everything you love" out and your body is possibly panicking - once the panic is over, I'm sure you'll start to lose. What exactly have you cut out of your diet and what are you eating in its place? Are you meeting your nutrient goals?

Secondly - you mention eating under your calorie allowance. You shouldn't eat too much under because your body won't like it, you'll lose lean muscle tissue, and your metabolism will slow down making it harder for you to keep the weight off. It's a calorie *goal* - aim to meet it as close as you can!

Thirdly - are you eating your exercise calories back? You should eat at least some of them back to avoid a large defecit. MFP has already calculated your calorie defecit in your net :)

Fourthly - could it be hormonal? Did you have a lot of salt / not drink enough water? I personally can fluctuate a lot (upto 2lbs) due to bloating and then randomly drop 2-3 a few days later by watching my sodium and drinking my water! Same applies to fibre and roughage - make sure you're not constipated (sorry but it's true!)

It's hard for me to give you advice without seeing your diary and seeing what you're actually doing. But the best advice I can give you is, if you're doing everything right, just be patient. The body needs time to adapt. Keep on chuggin!

Edit: one poster above me made a very valid point - it's amazing how much you can overeat just by not weighing. For weeks I thought I was eating 15g of PB on my rice cake after my workout, turns out I was probably eating at least double that and consuming an excess of nearly 800 calories weekly! I was also overmeasuring my cereal with my hugely outdated mechanical scales, having about 60g instead of 40! I love my new digital kitchen scales <3
  • Hi guys

Thank you for all your words of support.

Food wise – I have changed my eating habits dramatically. Before I only drunk coca cola (and sometimes wine), ate lots of takeaways or big heavy meals with lots of carbs and fat e.g. spag bol, enchiladas etc… I also skipped breakfast every day and ate chocolate in the evenings!

Now I am only drinking water and the odd cup of coffee (black). I am having a low fat breakfast bar every morning and a salad with balsamic vinegar for lunch (sometimes a tuna sandwich). I am not snacking. Then for dinner I am having either fish or chicken (grilled or baked) with vegetables e.g. broccoli, asparagus. Sometimes I might team it with brown rice or have stir-fried vegetables. Then no snacking in the evenings except on Saturday I did have a little bit of sneaky chocolate but only a square.

I do try to weigh most of my food out but sometimes I don’t.

Exercise wise I am really unfit so only going for a light jog in the evenings after work but its something right? I am eating most of these calories back.

I am eating under my calorie allowance but not that much under. I just cannot understand how all of this would make me put on weight!! Maybe eating takeaways is the way forward?!!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    It does seem to be relatively few calories (unless you're having large portions) that you're eating daily - plus, spaghetti bolognese isn't that unhealthy provided you prepare it yourself - it's a brilliant Low GI meal if prepared correctly!

I suggest you stick with it as it is, your body is probably adapting to the massive change (you especially appear to have dropped carbs) and you'll see the results soon. Best of luck :)
  • Thank you so much. Fingers crossed things might improve next week
This discussion has been closed.