Shake Weight Barbell?

Options
ANyone try this? Is it some sort of TV Scam??

Replies

• reinventingandrea
    Options
    I've read that it's just a gimmick...if I can find the article where I read it I'll post it.
  • starboardzor
    Options
    It made for a pretty funny South Park episode =)

It seems like one of the more pointless products they have infomercials for. I've seen them in the back of Target and played with them and giggled like a 12 year old. Just check out unbiased online reviews for some customer reviews. I'm gonna say they're useless.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they work. Just like holding a regular barbell and shaking it would work. The "innovative design" and "top of the line technology" however...marketing. Simple as that. Go to Wal Mart-give it a whirl, see what you think. And also WATCH what other people think haha :)
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    my friend has it & i use it, it burns a lot of calories (18+ cals per min vs. a reg weight at 2.5 cpm) so in 8 min u burn 150 but it don't think it works to build muscle, you do feel a slight burn when you're done
  • keylareed
    keylareed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well........ At the risk of being laughed at (They are pretty hilarious)..... I got one for Christmas. I have used it about 3 times a week. It comes with a video that is like 8 min. long. I can totally tell a difference and I definitely have muscle fatigue when I am done. Whether it is better that regular dumbells??? Not sure, but it is working for me. I have definition where I had not had definition in a long time. :)
  • keylareed
    keylareed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The CPM is good to know! I was putting it in as strength training for 10 min. and it was giving me something like 40 cals burned. I felt kind of silly adding it to my exercise log..... Thanks for the info!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    my friend has it & i use it, it burns a lot of calories (18+ cals per min vs. a reg weight at 2.5 cpm) so in 8 min u burn 150 but it don't think it works to build muscle, you do feel a slight burn when you're done
    Really think about that 150 8 min shaking something back and forth with one arm really it cant even rasie your heart rate.I burn about 300 to 400 calories doing P90x weights 20 to 25 lbs moving around using large muslce groups (legs,back) and thats in about 70 to 80 mins guess I'm working way to hard! got to get me a shaker thing
  • julesmcclelland
    Options
    I used it when I first started adding strength training to my regimen and I could tell that it was working out my puny muscles a bit and it was fun to do. Once I started incorporating resistance bands, pushups and 8 lb dumbbells into the mix, the Shake Weight became useless.
    I'd recommend for beginners that need an easy, interesting way to get motivated.
  • jessiseling
    Options
    it is definitely hilarious to watch someone use it. don't think i'd try it out though...
  • MuseumMonkey
    Options

It's hard to burn 10 or more calories per minute on an elliptical. I'm very skeptical of that claim!