by bye P90X, hello...

blakgarnet
blakgarnet Posts: 343
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
My fiance's parents gave us the P90X disks about 3 or 4 months ago. I started it and feel in love although took a break after a vacation since I got out of the groove of it and have restarted a few weeks ago full force. Now they are asking for it back. So, do I splurge and spend the money I don't have on....
1. a new P90X and all the equipment (the bands and pull up bar came from them too)
2. another beachbody work out - I had started to do the workouts on silence because I had memorized what was said. I've heard some comments on here about insanity
3. gym membership
4. extra splurge and get a treadmill since I am more motivated to run on that than outside

suggestions??

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    I would get whatever you think you will use most, and will carry you the furthest. That's going to be different for each person, but you need to figure out what will inspire YOU the most to continue your journey.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    I saw spring for P90X...you only have to pay for it once, unlike a gym membership and its a lot cheaper than a treadmill. Not to mention its awesome! :smile:
  • Nelly711
    Nelly711 Posts: 52
    I had P90X and LOVED IT!!! I did it faithfully for 6 weeks, then I hurt my foot, and couldn't do it. That was in September. I still to this day, can't get motivated to get back into it. I bought a treadmill right after the new year. I may not get the "hard core" workout like I did with P90X, but I do love the treadmill.

My advice, go for the treadmill!! I also have Turbo Jam, 30 Day Shred, Pilates, The Biggest Loser Workout. I didn't feel the need to spend money at the gym, when I had my own litle Gym here, but I do walk on the treadmill ALOT!!! It was well worth the investment.

I have thought about redoing my P90X routine, and only doing the workouts I "got something out of" or "really liked'....maybe that will be in the works for me!

Good Luck in whatever you do!!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    I would say try out Insanity - you don't need extra stuff and you've done P90X already...

Treadmill - go running outside... The fresh air does you good and your clean out your lungs... I know it's easier inside - but getting out is GOOD!! Better than spending the $$ on it anyway...

I am a gym rat, so of course I'm all for a gym membership.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    My fiance's parents gave us the P90X disks about 3 or 4 months ago. I started it and feel in love although took a break after a vacation since I got out of the groove of it and have restarted a few weeks ago full force. Now they are asking for it back. So, do I splurge and spend the money I don't have on....
    1. a new P90X and all the equipment (the bands and pull up bar came from them too)
    2. another beachbody work out - I had started to do the workouts on silence because I had memorized what was said. I've heard some comments on here about insanity
    3. gym membership
    4. extra splurge and get a treadmill since I am more motivated to run on that than outside

suggestions??

My vote is for INSANITY- made by the same people who do P90X no equitment needed just as challengeing (maybe more)
  • BusyMomma2012
    BusyMomma2012 Posts: 41 Member
    My fiance does Insanity and says it kicks his *kitten*. He loves it, I gave up after 10 minutes...I LOVE my gym membership, the fact that I pay for it each month motivates me to go so that I don't waste my money!
  • blakgarnet
    thanks for the advice!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    There is a new alternative to P90X, Supreme 90. It is similar to P90X but at a fraction of the cost, $19.95 + S&H. The production is not as "slick" as P90X but some who have tried it claim that the workout is just as good. I am a P90X guy but I plan to get Supreme 90 as a change up. Maybe you could get Supreme 90 and still splurge for the treadmill; we all need both cardio and strength training.
  • I use TheGymbox. I've had it since December on my Roku player. It is a streaming service that provides new workouts every week. I use it mostly for the strength classes, but they have a ton of stuff. I've done P90X too, but what they have is good for day 91 on. It sets me back $10 bucks a month, but if you take the cost of P90X over a year it is about $10 bucks a month and with TheGymbox I get a new workout every week. My wife uses it too.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Get the treadmill. Running will never get boring (unless it is boring you to start with, but since you listed this as an option) and can keep you fit a lifetime without putting too much stress on joint and bones. I know I sometimes cannot get myself motivated for the Shred, but I can always go for a walk on the treadmill which usually gets me to start running at some point in time.

PX90 is insanely expensive - there are a lot of cheaper solutions. How about the Last Chance Workout, 30 Day Shred - are those too easy for you? Check your OnDemand TV (Comcast, Charter or whatever you have), they have exercise stuff on it.

Someone with lesser moral and ethics would probably tell you to copy the DVDs, but I would never ever suggest that.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    I tried P90X a few times and always failed about 4 weeks in. It's very long and difficult for me. So I ended up failing. But I got ChaLEAN Extreme and absolutely LOVE it! I just purchased Turbo Jam today and will do that at the same time. Just here and there when I feel like it and on some rest days, etc. I decided to keep the workouts shorter than P90X and do something that I feel like is FUN. I actually find myself smiling now while working out!
  • blakgarnet
    can you guys describe chaLEAN and supreme 90? those sound interesting
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    can you guys describe chaLEAN and supreme 90? those sound interesting

ChaLEAN Extreme is set up similar to P90X, in that it is a 90 day program and you do one set of work out for the first month, then another set of work outs for the next month. Only thing you will need are dumb bells. Go heavy or go home!!! Loved CLX!!!!
  • I am in my fourth week of P90X and I love it. Besides for the workout it is Tony that also gets me motivated. And, as you know, it is a kickass workout!! If I were you I would try for the P90X, but if you can't try to find something as challenging.
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    I quit P90X because it wasn't quite for me, but I really like Turbo Jam. It's really fun. They also have an option that when you get so used to the moves and know what's coming next, you can have the music pumped up and you can barely hear Chalene. I really like Chalene and recommend any of her workouts, though. I haven't personally done them, but Chalene is really motivating and fun and what I love is that her body and her crew's is/are not perfect and they all just do what they can do with what they've got. If you need any more info about Turbo Jam, feel free to message me and ask me (and that goes for anyone and everyone) as I don't always think to check the boards, especially since I now have the BB app and don't have to get online to log my food.
  • johnwhitent
    You asked for more description of Supreme 90, I will do my best, but this is based on reviews I have read not my personal experience. Like P90X it offers a mix of strength training and cardio. As I mentioned earlier, it is not as "slick" of a production as P90X, but for $19.95 your not going to get P90X. The studio where it is filmed is not as nice, same for the music. The warm up is the same routine for each exercise where in P90X the warm up is tailored for each routine. Many people appreciate that Supreme 90 is much shorter than P90X, 35 to 45 minutes each. Also, there are no pull ups in Supreme 90! It uses an exercise ball instead. The actual exercises are great and are led by a well known and respected trainer. Tony Horton is great in P90X, but after going through the program a few times I get bored with the chatter so I’m ready for a change up. I plan to try Supreme 90, but will then come back to P90X. For what it is worth, people complain that Supreme 90 is slow to ship from their website and recommend purchasing at Bed, Bath, and Beyond or Walgreens. You can find the SKU number on the internet in reviews of the program. Hope this helps.
  • johnwhitent
    I meant to address a couple of things about P90X in my last post but I forgot. One, some people think that it is just too expensive. I understand; it is pricy. But I am currently in my fifth time going through it and of course I only had to buy it once. I plan to continue using it for years to come so figured on a per workout basis it is very cheap. Second, many people quit because it is too hard; I don't really completely understand that. I just used lighter weights, fewer repetitions, abbreviated the cardio time, and did lower intensity until I got in shape to do more. The workouts do get long, at about an hour each. But having gone through it several times I now hit the "skip ahead" button on the remote to shorten the time. For example, they allow a lot of time for pull ups and I can't do that many, so skipping forward saves a bunch of time. I skip the breaks sometimes, though other times I need them. Anyway, P90X is great and almost every objection has a work around. It's not for everybody, but most anyone can do it if they want to. I don't mean to argue with its detractors, I just want to point out that there are work arounds for those who want to do it but are intimidated. If you are interested in P90X but a little hesitant, consider taking it on but use it to work yourself into shape rather than jump in with heavy weights and long intense cardio. It is really great!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    It depends on what you are looking for. If you are already at your fitness goals for running (speed and distance) you enjoy running and want to continue and you want the time commitment of the program - I'd vote P90X. If you have goals you want to reach still, weight loss, higher level of cardio fitness - Insanity. I'd vote against the gym membership, as you already know you can commit to working out at home, it takes the excuse of "not wanting to go to the gym" out of the picture. As far as a treadmill goes, I have an elliptical at home, but when the weather is even slightly nice, I want to be outside running, there is just something about the fresh air that makes me feel better about my workout.
  • HLRoberts1987
    HLRoberts1987 Posts: 139 Member
    It all depends on what you will do and keep doing. I did two rounds of P90X and the results from doing that were phenomenal However I got really tired or working out at home. I had/have a gym membership at teh same time as the P90X and didnt go to the gym so I kinda spent more money than needed but I used my gym membership now and the P90x videos as well for my workouts. So I get the burn of P90X but the classes and other stuff from the gym...Its all dependng on what you are wanting out of it.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Buy it on ebay. Probably cheaper there.
This discussion has been closed.