Frustrated by no weight loss and working so hard

Options
I have been using MFP for three weeks. I have been eating no more than 1200 calories and using the elliptical 5 days per week for at least a half hour. I lost 5 pounds pretty quickly in a about a week and a half. Since then I have lost no weight and I can't figure out why. I have continued sticking to my 1200 calories and working out. I'm getting so frustrated!?! Is there something that I could be doing wrong? I'm still at least 15 pounds from my "healthy" weight. Help Help Help!!!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    So, you only eat 1200 calories but you are burning several hundred 4-5 days a week? You may need to eat back some of your exercise calories to refuel the body. Check the out link in my signature for info about eating your exercise calories and such. Doesn't work for every one but you might try eating a little bit of them and see if that helps.

Also, it's only been 3 weeks and you lost 5 lbs during part of that time...you may just be having a bad week. If TOM is near, that might be a problem too. Without being able to see your food log I can't tell but you could cut back on sodium, drink more water, etc.

Good luck!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    What Kao708 said. You might also benefit from doing some strength training.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for three weeks. I have been eating no more than 1200 calories and using the elliptical 5 days per week for at least a half hour. I lost 5 pounds pretty quickly in a about a week and a half. Since then I have lost no weight and I can't figure out why. I have continued sticking to my 1200 calories and working out. I'm getting so frustrated!?! Is there something that I could be doing wrong? I'm still at least 15 pounds from my "healthy" weight. Help Help Help!!!

There is your problem, you are not eating enough; you should be eating the 1200 plus eating back the calories you burned exercising. You need to fuel your workouts. Eating 1200 and not working out is the same as eating 1600 and burning 400. They both net 1200 (1600-400 or 1200-0). And on top of that with only 12 pounds to lose you should set your goal at 0.5lbs/week loss or 1lb at most (recommend 0.5/week)
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should try eating back your exercise calories. Your NET calories should be 1200, so it you burn 300 doing exercise, you should eat 1500 that day. You risk putting your body into starvation mode by not eating some of those calories you burn. I have lost 20 pounds in 12 weeks by eating all my exercise calories. Does not work for everyone, but worth a try for a few weeks.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    AS everyone else said..you are probably not eating enough..you should change your goals since you are so close to your goal weight...and change up your routine...if you are doing the elliptical 4 days a week...your body needs a change...a shock to its normal routhine...and definitely some strength training!!!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat as you ! I have lost 5 pounds and now the scale has not been moving at all.......It is so frustrating :grumble:

We purchased a new treadmill with iFit Live included and since the end of January I have been walking at least 5 sometimes 7 days a week using the customized workouts with Jillian Michaels which control your incline %, speed and time limit.

Maybe I am losing inches ? :huh: Only problem was I forgot to take my measurements before I started using the treadmill so I don't have original numbers to go by :angry:

I have been trying to journal everything I eat and stay around my 1200 calorie limit or higher when I do exercise on threadmill and I've also been making better choices in regard to grabbing a piece of fruit instead of a cookie or snack :wink:

When does it kick in and show on the scale ?
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    Your body is starving. If you're doing elliptical 5 days a week, you need to increase your carb intake at the very least. Definitely your calories.

I know it seems counterintuitive to eat more, but that's what your body needs.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Wow the starving urself drama! First off five lbs in one week was probably more than u actually lost so u didn't lose more but u didn't gain- plateu! What u need to do now is bump up ur exercise- shock ur body a bit ( if u can physically medically approved etc)!!! Change up ur routine :) just doing one form of exercise can let ur body stay in it's comfort zone! U will lose weight but very slowly. Also if u eat at least 1200 calories u should be fine (not starving!) unless u feel really hungry all the time or are obese or exercise excessively- 1/2 hour a day is not excessive. Of course I don't know what shape u are in and if u have any medical conditions... Good luck n keep it up just mix up the routine! Even just changing the resistance lvl will make a difference :)