Any physical beginners out there?????(SOS)

Options
:ohwell: I read a lot of enlightening and valuable information that is shared out there and for this I am greatfull. Very greatfull!!! But I have to be honest..... I am not one of these people that have been .."go exercise"..and....." oh yea exercise every day"... ect..ect..ect.. Not that I am putting any-one down by any means, that are are physically healthy and or thriving to be so. But I will be perfectly and painfully honest. I am basically sedentary.........and a big reason for that is ( not to make excuses ) is because I suffer from depression. Since child hood. I do not want to take all that senthetic medication that they have out there..and I do Know certain foods we eat..(sunflower seeds ..ect..)will help , in slower time I know ect... but I do want to Know am I the only one like me out here??? If Anyone see's this this post and has a story of their own or anything close to mine please help.....please respond!!!! Thank you for your honesty !!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    :ohwell: I read a lot of enlightening and valuable information that is shared out there and for this I am greatfull. Very greatfull!!! But I have to be honest..... I am not one of these people that have been .."go exercise"..and....." oh yea exercise every day"... ect..ect..ect.. Not that I am putting any-one down by any means, that are are physically healthy and or thriving to be so. But I will be perfectly and painfully honest. I am basically sedentary.........and a big reason for that is ( not to make excuses ) is because I suffer from depression. Since child hood. I do not want to take all that senthetic medication that they have out there..and I do Know certain foods we eat..(sunflower seeds ..ect..)will help , in slower time I know ect... but I do want to Know am I the only one like me out here??? If Anyone see's this this post and has a story of their own or anything close to mine please help.....please respond!!!! Thank you for your honesty !!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Just a thought for you --

Do you think it is possible that your sedentary lifestyle aides to your depression?

I only say this because my friend has depression and she says exercise helps her battle her depressive moods and such...

Please don't take that as a negative comment but rather food for thought. :smile:
  • Saluna
    Saluna Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi and thank you for sharing your thoughts and feeling with us :flowerforyou:
    I am sure you find a few on this web site, who suffer from depression. My heart goes out for you and I hope you recover soon.
    I can see on your profile photo that you are already doing a step towards your illness. Just take one step after another, day after day and celebrate and share your happy moments.
    All the best :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    xxx
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Here are two websites that talk about depression and exercise if you are interested. It is true that when you exercise, it will release endorphins to your brain, which helps with depression and helps you feel better all around. If you don't have the energy, try telling yourself that you will do just 10 MINUTES...then if you can go another 10, do it....and another and so on. Usually you will be able to go much longer than 10 minutes because you will start to feel better once you get moving. And like I always say, 10, 20, or 30 minutes is much better than 0. Good luck. :smile:

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/health_news/060405exercise_blues.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Options
    Hi Neome90,
    We are ALL beginners sooner or later. What counts is that you are asking questions and starting to decide to make changes that will be better for you in the long run.
    I loved the reply that said JUST do 10 minutes. Period. Then, you'll find, you'll want to do more and it will be easy for you :smile: true, trust me.
    I started out two years ago finding myself 60 pounds heavier than I wanted to be. If I could do it you can do it, trust me :frown:
    I have been fighting big personal problems too at the same time, leading up to anxiety problems and a marital separation after 19 years being together, work crisis too to top it off and depression (like I needed that too :grumble: !).
    Exercise helps, it helps a lot. It can be pretty compulsive too in the end.
    I have found on many day this past year that rather than accomplishing nothing on a "bad day" I would go run and as the minutes passed by I worked through the thoughts I had, mainly negative ones, and I could put the things into perspective. I didn't resolve the issues in this way but I realized normally that I am OK and that I am not perfect and I have limitations (like everyone else) and I can choose to act and do something, maybe not that day but on a following one.
    I joined a swim team, run and lift weights, too. Try to figure out what you like to do best and find any environment that is consuiceve to your starting and staying with a program (I'd suggest maybe some class for people at your level in whatever physical activity you like best in your area that feels good and supportive to you).
    If you join a class or a team you get a lot of support I have found from the others as we are all in the same boat together :flowerforyou:
    Thomas
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Neome,

we just recently had a posting about depression where a lot of people who battle that said exercise helps a lot. Not just helps. It helps a lot. The biggest problem being depressed is probably to convince yourself to get out and actualy do the exercise.
    I have no rady made solution for that in my sleeves. I can se that setting a goal, finding something you like yto do and accomplishing something all can help. But at the end of the day only you can find that reason to motivate you to really do something.
    One thing you can rely on is: once you started and you actually DID a few days of exercise (and I mean exercise, hard enough to make you breathe faster) you will feel a difference as to how you feel. It is this first step before you actually see results that is so difficult. After that, feeling better itself should be enough motivation.
    There are many people here who fight or deal with depression and I am sure they will tell you what they think and try to help you that way. I have myself been sedentary for a long time and found something that is so motivating for me that I voluntarily do it each day if I can.
    I hope you find that to.
  • darlenebull
    Options
    Just wanted to share with you that I suffer from depression also. I have struggled with it for about 12 years now and have been on medication, but stopped when I was pregnant and never went back on. Last year was really bad for me, I found myself having a really hard time just doing the basics (laundry, cleaning etc.) much less anything else. I started working out this year and I have to say I feel better then I have in years. Starting was hard, very hard, but in my case it has been a great help. Good Luck.
  • heyjuede
    heyjuede Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    hello, i just wanted to share that i too suffer depression. i struggled with it my whole life and recently have been struggling for almost a year with post pardum depression. i know how difficult it can make things. another thing that makes it difficult is that i have anxiety issues now as well. the becomes such a huge chaos! however, the only thing that got me to a gym was my best friend. we are both over weight and she brought up the idea. after a couple weeks i saw a couple lbs dropped. then it was me who kept us going because every pound gives me more motivation and drive. the plateau's are hard to deal with for me and i think it really has to do with the depression. but you take everything one day at a time.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OK, here's the deal. According to your post. . .I used to be you. On some level, I thought exercise was ridiculous. I too suffered from depression and three separate chronic pain conditions. Then, one day, I thought: "enough". . .and I joined the Y. Three years later, I'm "one of those people." I have been on every anti-depressant known to man, and the only thing that has brought me any relief has been exercise. I essentially think of it as a low-cost medication with very few side effects. Yes, it's way harder to exercise than take a pill. Exercise is not easy. . .and my first workout consisted of five minutes on a treadmill at 2.5 miles an hour. Then I went back the next day and did it again.

Bear in mind I am not downplaying your depression. I understand that it can be a paralyzing condition. That's just my experience.:flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Depression, weight gain and a sedentary lifestyle are a viscous circle. As you can tell from the posts, many of us have been there. I also went through a serious bought with depression. It affected my health, my relationships, and my job. It was struggle just to get off the couch. I was in constant pain....back, feet, joints, migraines, panic attacks, etc. I tried medication and it helped, but not a lot. I went to counseling for a while and the best advice I ever got was to take a walk every day. I know it's hard but TRY. Exercise did for me what pills were never able to do. I feel stronger, more confident and in control. I no longer have migrains or panic attacks and almost all of my chronic pain has disappeared as I've lost weight. Start slow, just tell yourself that you'll walk around the block. I promise that it will make you feel better and every day it will get easier. As it gets easier you can add or do more. Eventually you'll find that the endorphins released from exercise are addictive and you'll feel grouchy when you miss your workout.

Also, I understand the hesitancy to take pills or to seek counseling. I fought it for a long time and wish now that I gone earlier. I went through months of unhappiness that might have been avoided.

Take care of yourself
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    OK, here's the deal. According to your post. . .I used to be you. On some level, I thought exercise was ridiculous. I too suffered from depression and three separate chronic pain conditions. Then, one day, I thought: "enough". . .and I joined the Y. Three years later, I'm "one of those people." I have been on every anti-depressant known to man, and the only thing that has brought me any relief has been exercise. I essentially think of it as a low-cost medication with very few side effects. Yes, it's way harder to exercise than take a pill. Exercise is not easy. . .and my first workout consisted of five minutes on a treadmill at 2.5 miles an hour. Then I went back the next day and did it again.

Bear in mind I am not downplaying your depression. I understand that it can be a paralyzing condition. That's just my experience.:flowerforyou:

AMEN VIV!
    I was going to post something so similar.
    Start small with the exercise. Stick to it. You will start to increase your workout times and intensities, but start small and stick to it. That is important.
    All the anti-depressents in the world didn't help me. Exercise has helped lift me out of that dark place and keep me out.
    When you need support, post here or message us. We are here to be your support. We'll give you the friendly shove in the right direction to help you stay motivated.
    Good luck on your journey. Bright sunny days are closer then you think!! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Uh, one quick question though---

Your ticker.

It says your start weight was 127lbs and your goal is 90lbs. Um, that isn't accurate, right?? :huh: