Iron

Options
I was wondering what foods have good quantities of iron in them. I feel tired often and think it may be because I don't get enough iron. I prefer not to take supplments as I like to get my nutrients from the food I eat and I prefer not to eat red meat more than once a week so I am looking for other sources. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Clams, oysters, and mussles are all excellent sources of iron that doesn't come from red meat, and they contain Heme Iron which is more easily absorbed by the body. Kidney, navel and lima beans are all a good source, as well.
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    From Web MD!!

Top 10 Iron-Rich Foods
    Eat these to pump up your diet
    By Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD
    WebMD Weight Loss Clinic - Expert ColumnIt used to be called "iron-poor blood," but now we know it as anemia. Whatever you call it, one way to help treat it is to eat foods rich in iron (most doctors recommend taking a supplement, too).

To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes
    And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.

Find Out Which Vitamins and Supplements Are Right for You
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Well, red meat and liver are the best for iron. Also, almonds, oats, spinach, lentils, dried dates and figs, apricots, raisins, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, kale. Iron fortified breads and cereals.
  • Kiwidacute
    Kiwidacute Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your resposes! Spinach, seafood and beans it is then! :smile:
  • flyshuffle
    Options
    I was just looking into the same thing about a week ago! Here is what I found on WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-10-iron-rich-foods