Hidden Diary

Options
13»

Replies

• feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Mine is open just in case someone were to stumble across me and get curious about food ideas based on similar goals, but I set it up so it doesn't post to my wall once I've finished logging my day. And, I would become highly annoyed if someone ever suggested I change something in my diary. I really can't think of anything more annoying than unsolicited advice because that definitely isn't why I am here. Be careful about making suggestions to others unless it's asked for.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up; it frustrates me, honestly. I allow friends to see mine, I should be able to see theirs; this is why we're here.

Well, you see... it's not actually about you. At all.

And no, it's not "why we're here". I'm not here to look at what others eat, or to have them look at what I'm eating. I'm here to use a calorie counting tool, keep track of what I eat, entertain myself on the forums, maybe get some ideas.

I do not get this sense of entitlement. Do you also complain that the neighbours keep their shades drawn when you'd like to see what they've done with their living room? I mean... why live in the suburbs if not to show off your house?

I wouldn't use MFP if my diary was forced public, not because I'm hiding, not because I'm ashamed, but because, dear random stranger on the internet, what I stick in my mouth is none of your damned business. And your nosiness doesn't get to override my desire for privacy.

Because... it's not about you.

I was trying to figure out what to say but that pretty much covers it.

I don't care what you want to know about my life and diet. I don't have to justify my decision to keep my diary private, because its mine. You do you, I'll take care of me.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Personal choice. I have been on MFP for almost 3 years. I have NEVER looked at anyone else's diary. I have a totally closed account now, but for a personal reason that has nothing to do with my food diary, which has always been closed. There are an enormous amount of sites on the internet with healthy, low calorie food options and recipes sites. That is where I get my inspiration. My support was always moral, not food oriented. My friends were all aware of my closed food diary and they accepted that. There are a lot of people on MFP, if you don't want friends with closed diaries do not accept them or ask them to be your friend. Simple. BTW, I have lost over 160# and have been maintaining for a little over a year, so I kind of know what I am doing and have had some success.
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As someone just staring out I would not log if I felt like the world was going to attack me over what I ate which would have the opposite affect and yes I have seen some snide remarks on here about not eating enough calories on Monday and eating slightly too many on another day. I would not be honest about my logging if I made a mistake
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up; it frustrates me, honestly. I allow friends to see mine, I should be able to see theirs; this is why we're here.

Well, you see... it's not actually about you. At all.

And no, it's not "why we're here". I'm not here to look at what others eat, or to have them look at what I'm eating. I'm here to use a calorie counting tool, keep track of what I eat, entertain myself on the forums, maybe get some ideas.

I do not get this sense of entitlement. Do you also complain that the neighbours keep their shades drawn when you'd like to see what they've done with their living room? I mean... why live in the suburbs if not to show off your house?

I wouldn't use MFP if my diary was forced public, not because I'm hiding, not because I'm ashamed, but because, dear random stranger on the internet, what I stick in my mouth is none of your damned business. And your nosiness doesn't get to override my desire for privacy.

Because... it's not about you.

agreed
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Having been here for a couple of years, I can tell you that very few people on MFP actually have a working knowledge of nutrition...as such, their comments in RE to my food diary would be completely worthless. I don't need some random moron on the internet telling me carbs are the devil and whatnot...
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If anyone needs dietary advice or recipes from me all they have to do is ask or start a thread. I often comment here on the boards.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My diary is private, only because I am still trying figure out what to eat and the portion control. I have nothing to teach so far, about eating or dieting, don't follow those who don't know, and need help and advice instead.
    Also I don't like looking at peoples diaries that have sweets choc, ice cream on it, it is frustrating to look at all those yummy things, when I am still in my obese zone, and doing my level best to cut that stuff out until I reach my healthy goal weight.
    Here's hoping people send me mail with great advice and tips and tricks :)
    Cheers all have a great day :)