serving sizes

Options
One thing I noticed here - if I ate a whole serving size of most things I'd be gaining weight, not losing. Or so I think. Does one's height, overall size affect the serving size?? I am short - would not my serving size be less than a man of 6 feet? Nutritionally, do I need less than a taller person? Anyone have an answer?

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's not really serving size directly that is impacted by your physical attributes. Your overall calorie intake goal is based on your height/weight, activity level and your weight loss goal. If you go to MY HOME/GOALS it will give you a break down of how it calculates your daily intake goal.

Essentially, smaller people need less calories than larger people with the same activity level and weight loss goal.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I eat a serving size of most things, but I am very picky about what I eat.
    For breakfast my favorite is an egg white omlette with shredded mozzarella. 3-4 egg whites with 1/4 cup FF Shredded Mozz. Snacks I vary between raw almonds, special k crackers, fruit, veggies, peanut butter toast, yogurt, etc.

I think if you're picky about what it is that you're eating, you'll find that you can eat even more of it and still come in either just under or right at your calorie goal for the day.
  • Madjohnbonny
    Options
    The serving size is a sort of a standardized size for nutrition comparison. It just makes it easier to judge about how much of a certain food you should be eating, and how many calories that serving has in it. If you feel that a full serving is too much for you then you can eat smaller portions of that serving.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The serving size is a sort of a standardized size for nutrition comparison. It just makes it easier to judge about how much of a certain food you should be eating, and how many calories that serving has in it. If you feel that a full serving is too much for you then you can eat smaller portions of that serving.

I agree. There are a number of things that I eat more than a serving size, but other times a serving size is too much. I don't eat a whole cup of pasta, but I will eat 2 cups of broccoli. I don't eat a whole serving of peanut butter or jelly, but will eat 2 servings of bread (2 slices vs. 1), etc.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks - i feel I am indeed judging it correctly. I don't eat the amount of oatmeal or pasta that is called 1 serving, but with veggies I find the more the better. I try to make sure my dinner plate is 3/4 veggies. For bread, I use 2 slices at 30 gms of weight per slice.

I do feel tho that a larger person is lucky and can eat a lot more than I can. Sigh.... For example my son averages about 2500 calories a day (6 ft 2 inches tall) and works out daily so he can eat way more than I can. I too work out daily but not as rigorously as he does (altho I probably do more daily cardio than him, he mainly does daily weights and plays basketball biweekly).