Maintaining the proper calories

Options
I am at the point where I just simply need to maintain my weight. Using the tool on here it's proposing that I average 2600 calories in a day. My BMR is at 1800 and I know I won't average 800 calories burned in a day, even with working out 5 days a week. While losing the weight I wanted to lose, I averaged 1200 calories a day. And that was a struggle at times.

I certainly don't want to start running to McDonalds just to get my calories in each day. I plan to actually attempt to average between 1600-1800 per day. So any suggestions on adding calories in a healthy way?

Replies

• namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    Just as a note, BMR is if you were sleeping for the entire day. Just talking, walking, reading a book, etc. will burn more calories on top of your BMR.
  • dcrabill10
    Options
    Ahh....good point. I didn't think of it that way. So that makes more sense in regards to the suggested calories. I still don't know how I'm going to get them though. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stock up on calorie dense and good for you foods. Almonds, natural peanut butter, avocado if you like em.

We don't need to run to McDonalds or fast food in general just to hit a calorie count, there's too many healthy choices out there.

Full fat dairy, corn, potatoes, beans, tempeh, whole wheat pasta, barley, any kind of nut or seeds, olives, whole grain breads, salmon, tuna, trout, oatmeal
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Eat things that are high in healthy fats. Things like peanuts and other nuts, salmon, olive oil, etc. That will help raise your calories in a healthy way. Dairy is good for healthy calories as well. And you can gradually increase your portion sizes if you like.

What I plan on doing when I reach that point is just slowly increasing my intake by 100 calories or so every few days. And then when I stop losing weight, I'll stay at whatever calorie level I'm currently eating. MFP is a guideline, and everybody is different, so you can't take their recommendations as 100% accurate. But you have to realize too that your BMR is only what you burn lying in bed doing absolutely NOTHING all day. It doesnt' take into account daily activity like getting up to go to the bathroom and take a shower. Your daily activity might very well burn 800 calories more than your BMR. So just keep increasing your intake until you stop losing weight, and see what happens. Good luck to you!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    FWIW - Jillian Michaels says that she eats 2000 calories a day to maintain her weight, and doesn't always make it to the gym b/c of her schedule, but tries to stay active (like riding a bike here and there, hiking on weekends, etc). So I bet if you stayed moderately active 3-4 times a week and ate 1800-2000 calories you would maintain easily.

And as others suggested, adding a little bit of high good-fat foods will add the calories....peanut butter on toast, avocado added to salads and sandwiches, mayonnaise, etc. I don't like nuts, but a lot of people say those are good snacks.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I purchases a BodyMedia Fit. It's an armband meant to be worn 24/7. I am 5'2" and 123lbs. I have learned my daily burn estimate is between 1800-2300 depending on what I'm doing that day The BMR is what you would burn just lying in bed all day. Your Maintenance Calories are your BMR plus your activity level (which I'm sure has changed now that you exercise regularly). MFP puts my Main.Cal. at 1470 and my BMR at 1188. So if I eat my Maintenance Calories and don't exercise at all I will still lose weight for a while but my metabolism will slow down due to the lack of movement so eventually the Maintenance wouldn't work.

Nuts, seeds, nut butters, olive oil, avacados, dried fruit or juice. Things that are calorie dense but still very, very healthy. There's no reason to have to dig into fast food for extra calories.

If you are male then 1600 will most likely be too low (when combined with exercise).
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Stock up on calorie dense and good for you foods. Almonds, natural peanut butter, avocado if you like em.

We don't need to run to McDonalds or fast food in general just to hit a calorie count, there's too many healthy choices out there.

Full fat dairy, corn, potatoes, beans, tempeh, whole wheat pasta, barley, any kind of nut or seeds, olives, whole grain breads, salmon, tuna, trout, oatmeal
    Yep...I would say you could go back to using the "regular" versions of the foods you previously bought as low cal, light, etc and have an easier time meeting your calorie goal as well.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't eat junk food to get in the calories. Eat whole foods. Visit a farmer's market, a local farm and get yourself some nice local dairy, meat, fruits and veggies. That way you're meeting the people that grow your food and you're supporting a family farm. Just make sure those extra calories are spaced all throughout the day. :)
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    I would suggest that you eat more complex negative calorie foods like broccoli. I have noticed many people are suggesting high fat foods and MFP suggests that 30% of your calories come from fat. I prefer to keep my fat calories around 20% of daily intake. Protien shakes, vegetables and fruits are great. Watch the sugars in the fruit but also keep in mind that there are several negative calorie fruits as well like mellons. As our grandmothers alway told us start your day with a nice healthy breakfast. I like high fat and high protien breakfasts for several reasons..energy, alertness, jump start the metabolism after nightime fast. It's not just what you put in your face its when you put it in your face also. All the best.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Ahh....good point. I didn't think of it that way. So that makes more sense in regards to the suggested calories. I still don't know how I'm going to get them though. :)

I would say build up to those maintenence calories. Do things like using full calorie breads and rolls, 6 oz of meat instead of 3 or 4, and work in more nuts and avacados and other calorie dense alternatives. Work in an extra 100 calories each week (like add 100 cals to your daily goal) until you are comfortable with the "upped" version and are comfortably at maintenence mode.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you eat more complex negative calorie foods like broccoli. I have noticed many people are suggesting high fat foods and MFP suggests that 30% of your calories come from fat. I prefer to keep my fat calories around 20% of daily intake. Protien shakes, vegetables and fruits are great. Watch the sugars in the fruit but also keep in mind that there are several negative calorie fruits as well like mellons. As our grandmothers alway told us start your day with a nice healthy breakfast. I like high fat and high protien breakfasts for several reasons..energy, alertness, jump start the metabolism after nightime fast. It's not just what you put in your face its when you put it in your face also. All the best.

Just out of curiousity-- how do negative calorie foods help in this instance? OP is trying to UP calories. (2600 calories --that's A LOT of broccoli and melon :smile: )
  • dcrabill10
    Options
    Awesome stuff gang!!! You guys all rock and why I will never part with MFP even being at my target weight. Way too much info on here to pass up on a daily basis.

Thanks again everyone. Time to hit the grocery store. :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I can easily add 500 calories to my diet with nearly no bulk increase. 1 tablespoon of Olive oil (+120), 8 oz of 2% milk instead of skim (+30), full fat cheese (+50), 6 oz of chicken instead of 4 (+70), a hard boiled egg with breakfast or as a snack a bit later (+70), a handful of almonds (+170) and you have 510 calories.
  • dcrabill10
    Options
    I can easily add 500 calories to my diet with nearly no bulk increase. 1 tablespoon of Olive oil (+120), 8 oz of 2% milk instead of skim (+30), full fat cheese (+50), 6 oz of chicken instead of 4 (+70), a hard boiled egg with breakfast or as a snack a bit later (+70), a handful of almonds (+170) and you have 510 calories.

That is excellent for an example. Very simple!!! That you!!!
  • dcrabill10
    Options
    I would like to throw in one more twist...I am adding a lot more weight lifting now to gain muscle size. Are the foods that are being suggested the same foods I should also be eating for that?
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/197310-big-tip-on-how-to-lose-belly-fat

this is posted as how the lose belly fat but its great info on good foods to maintain a healthy weight and body shape
  • pchann
    Options

Just out of curiousity-- how do negative calorie foods help in this instance? OP is trying to UP calories. (2600 calories --that's A LOT of broccoli and melon :smile: )

He wants to up his calories and maintain his weight. It's not just the calories in my opnion but it's the quality of the calories. I know that for myself MFP says I need 1720 calories a day pre exercise. I need more in my opinion. I'm not trying to lose weight I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle so nutrients are essential to my goals. The complex carbs with a negative net caloric value are great sources of nutrients. The purpose of eating more calories is more nutrients. Just a thought. :)
  • pchann
    Options

That is excellent for an example. Very simple!!! That you!!!

12 grams of sugar in milk. Try unsweetened almond milk. Tastes like chalk alone but mix in some protien or fruit and it's darn yummy.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    12 grams of sugar in milk. Try unsweetened almond milk. Tastes like chalk alone but mix in some protien or fruit and it's darn yummy.
    as opposed to the 42 grams of sugar in a can of coke. Milks already a healthier choice, for those watching their sugar the almond milk is super suggestions, I enjoy hemp milk also.
  • pchann
    Options
    as opposed to the 42 grams of sugar in a can of coke. Milks already a healthier choice, for those watching their sugar the almond milk is super suggestions, I enjoy hemp milk also.

There's no coke on MFP lol ;)