I have to go LIVE at Ronald McDonald's House!

Options
Starting this coming Sunday, I am going with my 7yo to another city, where she will be undergoing specialized therapy for three weeks. Because this is a medical trip, we're going to be staying at the Ronald McDonald house.

I have lost 18 pounds. Two pants sizes! I don't want to undo my progress. But I'll be away from my kitchen, away from my usual workout resources, living in a bare-bones environment (the rooms at the McDonald house don't even have TVs), eating hospital food or restaurant food or food brought in by local groups (we've stayed at the McDonald house before when this kid was born).

The McDonald houses do have kitchens and you're supposed to be able to cook for yourself, but we found when we were there before that this was pretty impractical, because there are so many things you have in your own private kitchen that would cost a fortune to equip a common kitchen with (basic pantry items). Essentially, it's okay for heating up prepared foods, but to actually *cook*, I would always start and find out that I was missing something I needed. We gave up trying to cook our own meals after the first week.

For exercise, I'm afraid there won't be many options. Even if I could go for a walk around the city, what do I do with my disabled kid, yanno? I can't go while she's in therapy, I'm supposed to be in the building, available to her therapists, during that time.

I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, anything really. If I can find one or two things that will work while I'm away, I'll be farther ahead of the game than I am right now.

Replies

• joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Since you have to be at the hospital, utilize the stair wells. They are not just for staff! Take your daughter with you when you go into the city. I'm sure she would appreciate seeing the sites as well. If she doesnt have her own wheelchair, borrow one from the hospital.
  • scopelk
    scopelk Posts: 43
    Options
    how about a portable dvd player? she would enjoy it for movies also!!!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I wonder what she would think of a wheelchair. She has never used one. She has outgrown most strollers, though, and I don't have an adaptive stroller; she really doesn't need it for most things. But a walk around the city wouldn't be much exercise for me if I had to go at her pace.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    how about a portable dvd player? she would enjoy it for movies also!!!

They have TVs in the common rooms, just not in the bedrooms. But she's not a big TV watcher. I'll bring her DS along and it will keep her happy.
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    start now by preparing some meals that can be refrigerated/frozen and kept in refrig /freezer/cooler. perhaps you have some family and or friends that can keep some of these meals at their house or pick up from yours once a week and bring them to you? I know sounds like alot of hard work, and I cant even imagine trying to focus on this while needing to care for a dear child. the only other option is to choose foods that are as naked as possible and bring your own spices/seasonings that you can add at the table? keeping your calories to a min and protein and fiber where you will be satisfied. several fruits and veggies will keep well at either room temp or in a cooler also. as for the exercise, lunges, squats, situps, pushups, jogging in place, etc can all be done inside or on your way to see your little one. stairs are a great option also just to get a bit more cardio in ....you never know, sometimes a quick change in your routine can really do worlds of good.

My heart and prayers go out to you, your child, and your family that you can get through this as peaceful and stressless as possible. I'm so sorry that you have to go through with this. GOOD LUCK
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Since you have to be at the hospital, utilize the stair wells. They are not just for staff! Take your daughter with you when you go into the city. I'm sure she would appreciate seeing the sites as well. If she doesnt have her own wheelchair, borrow one from the hospital.

We won't actually be in the hospital. We'll be in an ancillary building on the same campus -- just one floor. No stairs :sad:
  • theraylene
    theraylene Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get as much raw food/ veggies and fruits that you can to add to the foods that are brought in for you. A fresh fruit option doesn't require pots/pans utensils, and choice is a big deal to help keep you on the right track.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    My heart and prayers go out to you, your child, and your family that you can get through this as peaceful and stressless as possible. I'm so sorry that you have to go through with this. GOOD LUCK

Heh. I've been having stress dreams for several nights. Last night in my dreams I was crying uncontrollably -- and the part that knows you're dreaming, of course, is like "What's up with YOU?" Sigh.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Get as much raw food/ veggies and fruits that you can to add to the foods that are brought in for you. A fresh fruit option doesn't require pots/pans utensils, and choice is a big deal to help keep you on the right track.

Hmm.

I had been thinking I might be able to get carryout salads, and eat them with my Bolthouse dressings at the McD house dining room. But I hadn't thought of trying to procure my own salad fixings. That's not a bad idea.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Instead of making it seem like the wheelchair is because of her impairment, tell her that she's helping you exercise since you will be pushing her weight as well as yours. Make it a game and try to find other ways she can "help" while you're getting your exercise.

The only thing I can think that might help with the meals is to make up a meal plan now. Try to keep it as simple as possible. Take the pantry staples you need for each meal pre-measured in small containers or plastic baggies. You could even portion out those things into "meal packs" using bags or something to put all of the ingredients together, along with a printout of the recipe. That would make it really easy when you get there. Then make up a shopping list for the fresh ingredients and other items that won't travel well. For each meal, grab the bag which already has everything in it and go!

I hope that helps. Good luck to you both!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Get the wheel chair make it fun!!! also don't forget fresh fruit (apples ,pears. bannas, easy to store and pick up at local store and the walk will be good also yogurt in the morning. And the stairs what a great idea your in the building and moving getting your heart rate up. Best of luck this is a hard time I'm sure but a great time to show your child, even when things are hard you make a new plan but stick to your goals no matter what life is handing you at the time. solutions not excuses Good for you. best of luck
  • michelle4271
    Options
    how about a small stool that you can travel with, to use as a stepper?

I know so much easier said than done, but you need to becareful of the stress, that could actually end up being your worst enemy here, not your menu options.

Try just focusing on your little one, everything else will fall into place,,,unless you are completely careless in your choices, you're not going to undo all your hard work in 3 weeks.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    how about a small stool that you can travel with, to use as a stepper?

I know so much easier said than done, but you need to becareful of the stress, that could actually end up being your worst enemy here, not your menu options.

Try just focusing on your little one, everything else will fall into place,,,unless you are completely careless in your choices, you're not going to undo all your hard work in 3 weeks.

I like the stepper idea. I have a step stool I could take. Also my wrist/ankle weights.

You're right about the stress. It's really killing me. Nobody medical ever makes me promises about this kid, but THESE people have openly promised MY KID that when she's done with this program she'll be able to stand and throw a ball, stand and kick a ball, and walk ten steps without crutches (she uses forearm/Lofstrand crutches -- the kind with the cuff on your forearm). She wants to be able to jump on a trampoline when she's finished! They didn't promise her that; that was her idea, but still. What if it DOESN'T WORK? I'm in KNOTS over it!
  • michelle4271
    Options
    Instead of focusing on your fear of what she might not be able to accomplish, try to concentrate on her enthusiasm of having a goal. Make sure that she knows that if its her goal, she will have to take small goals and turn them into her ultimate goal. You will be teacher her so much in the process in order to survive and thrive in life.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What if it DOESN'T WORK? I'm in KNOTS over it!

What if IT DOES???!!!! Best of luck to you and your daughter. I like the idea of her being your "weight in the wheelchair". I know when i push my kids in the stroller, i feel like that is a workout by itself!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You are doing good to plan ahead. I am sorry you are going through all this. I can't imagine that kind of stress.

You have been getting a lot of good ideas. I think if you can do some grocery shopping and plan ahead you will be fine. Are you able to keep things in a fridge at the RMH? You could get yogurts, carrot sticks and hummus, cottage cheese, peanut butter. You can make your own salads and use tuna. I do think you should focus on trying to mainain instead of losing weight. Stress can make you gain so don't panic if you see a slight gain.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good luck, remember any improvement is still an improvement, no matter how small.
    don't forget to keep your water intake up too.

I really like the idea of taking as much stuff pre-prep'd as you can -
    I keep the fixings for a salad in my fridge at work and then make up a plate for lunch, everyone has got used to me
    doing this.
    with restuarants & take aways - can you ask them to do grill chicken on its own and then add that to your salad.
    I mix up having salad with prawns, smoked salmon or sliced chick/turkey as all are low in bad fat and pretty good on protein.
    if you like other fish, how about adding a tin of tuna to some salad, add bread roll, boiled potatoes or some rice for a change.
    even if it's just the uncle benn's microwavable rice, their not huge portions but between you and your daughter?

Thinking of you.

TM
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    as for exercise... walk the stairs in the building...up & down....down & up...
  • jenbusick
    Options
    What if it DOESN'T WORK? I'm in KNOTS over it!

What if IT DOES???!!!!

EXACTLY! I'm in knots either way!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Lots of ideas given for the food issue. As for the exercise part, ask if there is a physical therapy room near by in the building where you could use a treadmill, bike or eliptical that is not in use while your child is in therapy. Or maybe a room where you could take a portable DVD player and do a workout? Just tell the doctor or nurse that you need the stress release. Most of them would understand in your situation and try to help out.

Good luck!