MFP Heartache

Options
Hey guys I use to use this web site all the time. Though I'm not in bad shape I'm finding that I am caring less to work out and i'm beginning to slowly let go of my routines. I just went through a hard break up and still trying to make sense of it. I just want things to be right for me. I'm 28 and I'm feeling maxed out on stress.

Any help or insight will be nice. I just want some clairty.

Any good medications over the counter i can take to help with my anxiety and panic attacks and any good meditation books out there?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Excercise is MUCH better for anxiety and depression than any over the counter meds!

Can you try something new, a class you havn't gone to before? If you're interested in something with a calming or balancing side, try some yoga or Tai Chi.

Sorry to hear about your break-up - we've all been there. And it hurts.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give is try to force yourself to exercise even though you don't feel like it. As someone who has struggled with anxiety/depression issues in the past, I do notice my issues are always worse when I'm moving less. Hang in there girl, and good luck!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It depends on your mood. Are you in a funk, or is this a dark place you can't get out of? Have you lost interest in things that you used to love? Do you get out of bed, or have the desire to? Are you doing basic self-maintenance like showering? Are you reaching out to friends? Depending on your answers, different things might work for you. Firstly, sunshine and physical activity can do amazing things for your mood and disposition. Get outside, try something new. Join a walking group or Tai Chi like melanie said.

If you try these things and you just can't seem to shake it off, I would recommend talking to your doctor and/or a counselor. You doc can prescribe a medication and medication works better with counseling. Since this is an episode, not chronic, you wouldn't be on the meds long, but I do recommend continuing therapy. It's great for many facets of life.

I ignored depression for a long time and it became all consuming and very destructive. I don't want that to happen to ANYONE. Listen to your heart and remember there is nothing wrong with seeking help, it makes you that much stronger to admit that you need it. You just have to decide if it's self-help you need or outside help. Good luck, and I hope your heart heals soon!
  • SueSee
    SueSee Posts: 65
    Options
    I agree with Ashley. It depends on the depth of your depression. If it is becoming a problem and is serious, please seek medical attention. Even if you are not in the depths of a deep depression, a Dr. can give you some ideas, without medication, on how to help regain your life. I was always told, "Exercise, Exercise, Exercise" for my mild depression.
  • manettaMikey
    manettaMikey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i've just had a lot these last couple years happen to me and this break up seems to be the icing on the cake. Seems like i invest everything into relationships and when they don't turn out right , it destroys me.