Motorcycle Fat Boy .... Hi from SC!

Options
Hi there my name is Alec and I am over weight. I have been a police officer for 21+ years and the years of sitting in the car have caused me to have to get new duty belts from time to time. For some reason sitting in a police car makes leather shrink. Well it is time to start trading my duty belts in for smaller ones instead of bigger ones.

I am also getting close to the retirement mark (we can retire after 25 years) and I want to be around to make up for all the time I missed with my WOUNDERFUL wife and our six kids, especially since grandchildren are starting to show up.

I started Fitness Pal about 11 days ago and never realized how much I eat. But in these first eleven days I have dropped from 234 lbs to 228 lbs.

My first goal is to get under 200 lbs., then move onto the weight I was when I started with the police department, 175 lbs. According to this sight I should be around 160 which seem real low - I am 5’ 09” … so is that right?

Anyway … please help keep me encouraged and accountable. Thanks … now back to fighting crime and calories!

Replies

• Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I'm in upstate SC. This site is awesome. Hope you enjoy the site and I hope your journey is filled with much success.
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining and welcome.

Sounds like you have a great sense of humor, Alec, which I am sure has helped you serving in the force, and now will help you as you try to work on your health.

You will see we're all pretty friendly, enthusiastic and supportive here. What better reason to join this site, than your wonderful family who I am sure is all pulling for you!

As for what you "should" weigh - my attitude is I will get to it when I do, and asking a health professional is always a good idea. Set shorter-term goals like, what you want to weigh 4 weeks from now, or even 1 week. My goal is 2 pounds a week, with the hope that one day I may be down to whatever weight the experts think I should be (144).

Feel free to add me (or anyone here) as a friend and we'll be looking out for your updates!
    Amy from Albuquerque
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Their ideal weight might not be based on a really muscular guy, you were probably ripped back in the day when you were getting started! Glad to see you've already seen some success.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I'm from the west side of Michigan. I've been on for about 20 days and my progress is much slower. but then...woman. Sigh. It seems to happen for men at a much faster pace.
    I wouldn't worry about where you end up. End up where you feel comfortable. If you feel good, look good, your wife is thrilled @ 175, then I'd say you are good. You might not feel as good if you were at 160. Everyones body type is different and muscle weight also has something to do with it. Listen to your body and you will know what is right.
    Keep up the good work, and thank you for your service! We all need good cops. Feel free to add me if you wish...

(my husband sold our mototcycle cuz he felt we were to heavy for it. :huh: so...another reason to get myself under control!) I like riding.

Sally
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Alec,
    Almost in the same boat. 5 ft 8 and hovering right at 215 currently. I will lose 20 -30 lbs but dont see much more than that. Keeps me at the fighting weight I want to be at. It really comes down to what you feel comfortable at.
  • Jayharv5
    Jayharv5 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello. I am also from SC. I felt just like you described when I joined the site. Once i started logging in all those calories, it freaked me out! I never realized how much I ate, either. About the target weight: I am 5'-10". 160 seems low. I reckon it depends on how active you are. I started at 195, and am now at 185. If i was 160, I think I would be bones, but then again, I'd really have to get down a little lower before i could tell anything. About the site, being able to see the cals you're ingesting helps out a TON. Good luck, sir! You're in it for all the right reasons!
  • jantim1990
    jantim1990 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Alec! Welcome!
    I have a friend that is cop, works in the jail and is mainly behind a desk. He is trying to lose weight now too.
    I am in Ohio and have been on MFP for 7 days. I have lost a pound already! I think MFP, and the people on it, are very helpful and encouraging.
    You are doing a great job so far with the weight you have lost. Congrats! Keep up the good work!!
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind and helpful words ...

Now how do I add someone and get one of those neat banners on the bottom of my post that tracks my fatness?
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Click on the person's name and then "add as friend" to add them as a friend. Then for your weight loss banner, you'll need to click on tools at the top of the page, then tickers. Make your ticker and copy the code.

Then add it to your signature under community > signature.

:)
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    Hi there. I just joined the site today. Love it. Finding out that the food tracker really keeps my calories in check. Good luck to you !
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    Hi Alec,
    You've come to the right place for information and encouragement. I've only just started my journey but the people here are wonderful, supportive, and informative. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and thank you for your service. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Linda in Arizona
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    Got it ... friends and ticker .... thanks for the help!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I just joined last week. Lost 5 pounds in 6 days. Hope it keeps coming off. I was also surprised at the amount of calories I take in. Good luck and glad to hear you are already having success. So far I love this site and app.

As for ideal weight, mine says 119. I don't think it is very realistic either.
  • kim1954
    kim1954 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    6-1 Minnesota Boy, lost 30 lbs. since January. Ive hit some flat spots where the scale just stays in one spot, but keep trying it comes off eventually!
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm striving for that get under the 200 mark...then some. This is the first time I counted calories. This program has helped me make better food choices and the friend portion is encouraging.