Need advice on eating with thyroid disease...

Options
I need some help...I have a Hypo thyroid and I have heard so many different things by different Endocrinologist that I cant see straight. I am a borderline diabetic and insulin resistant. I have never realy dieted before. Before I had my daughter 9 years ago I was way too skinny ( I made myself skinny for 10 years. and not the healthy way ) then when I got pregnant I gained 100 pounds in that 9 months and have kept it all on. But now its a matter of my health and I refuse to be a diabetic if I can help it, but I dont have a single clue as to what to eat, or not to eat. Or what excersizes to do and not to do. My grandfather died of diabetes so I have seen first hand what happens to the body and it scares the hell out of me. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks bunches!

Kayla :heart:

Replies

• swiftgirls2
    Options
    I too have hypothryroidism. One of the main things you need to stay away from with this disease is soy. As far as nutrional eating, try to eat fresh food - no frozen foods! Frozen food is packed with sodium. Low fat beef, cheese, etc. Turkey and chicken are very low in fat and calories. Try not to eat alot of proceesed foods (i.e. foods in cans and boxes). For exercise, I bought a spinning bike becuase it is very low impact and burns off a high amount of calories. Good luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm sure lots of people are going to post on here with recommendations based on their own experience, but I highly recommend you see a licensed/certified nutritionist/dietician. Make sure you find one who has experience working with people with your health concerns - insulin resistance, hypothyroid, etc., and that you verify their credentials. If you have health insurance, they may cover it and provide you with names of people you could see. The reality is that 99% of MFP users aren't qualified to really make recommendations and you're much better off getting professional advice.

Obviously there are standard nutrition guidelines you can follow in the meantime - try to stay away from processed food, especially processed carbs (including added sugar). Eat a well-balanced diet with a variet of vegetables, fruit, lean protein, whole grains/healthy carbs, and healthy fats. Beyond this, you're best off getting professional advice.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Will your dr refer you to a dietician? Sounds like you need some good education which a variety of different option are around these board. IMO, grazing is the answer for a possible diabetic, eat small meals offen, eat 1/2 as much and don't over exercise. That means you watch what you eat. With Hypothyroid, there are certain foods which you need to eat cooked, vs raw, cabbage and brussel sprouts come to mind. With diabetic, you need to carefully watch your sugar intake, including fruits. I'd start with whole unprocessed foods, more fresh and clean vs packaged foods. When you exercise with diabetes, you want to make sure you are properly fueled first to avoid any type of crash.

I followed the Fat FLush Plan by Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman, it isn't a plan for just everyone, it's very restrictive and very bizarre in some of the things you do, it worked for me. Lower carb diets are good with Diabetes, but healthy carbs are important carbs. Breads aren't a great choice but beans and squash or sweet potatoes are better. Also with diabetes, combine your carbs with protein to maintain a consistent blood sugar.

I'm doing this from memory of gest diabetes, and it's been several years. My best suggestion would be search the internet in sites that can be trusted like Mayo Clinic.
  • KaylaRymer
    Options
    I hadnt heard that about soy, but I will now be paying more attention to what is in my food. My OB told me to stay away from food that is in a bag, box or can. I am not a veggie lover ( I tolerae them) but I love fruit, but I hear certain fruits are not good for thyroid. I am one of those women who want "instant" results so my patience level is thin, but I know this is going to be a process. Thanks for the advice! <3
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm sure lots of people are going to post on here with recommendations based on their own experience, but I highly recommend you see a licensed/certified nutritionist/dietician. Make sure you find one who has experience working with people with your health concerns - insulin resistance, hypothyroid, etc., and that you verify their credentials. If you have health insurance, they may cover it and provide you with names of people you could see. The reality is that 99% of MFP users aren't qualified to really make recommendations and you're much better off getting professional advice.

Obviously there are standard nutrition guidelines you can follow in the meantime - try to stay away from processed food, especially processed carbs (including added sugar). Eat a well-balanced diet with a variet of vegetables, fruit, lean protein, whole grains/healthy carbs, and healthy fats. Beyond this, you're best off getting professional advice.

Agreed. Get professional advice. That way you and get the straight up facts for your situation.

I too deal with hypo-thyroid ... but I haven't had any negative consequences from any specific foods and I eat a ton of soy, and every fresh fruit and veggie out there. For your diabetes though (and your thyroid), it's important for you to get up to date information from a health care professional.

Keep us posted.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Anything that is low on the glycemic index will also help you out with the insulin resistance. So think about eating things that are high in fiber - switching to whole wheat and whole grains, and staying away from the simple sugars. Grapes and apples both have great nutrients, but grapes are higher on the glycemic index. Stuff like that! I'd start reading up on eating as a Type II Diabetic and a lot of that advice will carry over. Also a nutritionist would be a great idea!
  • insatiable_lilly
    Options
    I also have severe hypothyroidism and was diagnosed with PCOS this morning, so I can relate. I have some "disordered eating" behaviors, as well, and I feel like I just can't lose weight unless I resort to extremes. Because of the new PCOS diagnosis, which affects insulin, they sent me straight to a dietician, and I am committing to be as healthy as I can possibly be. If you'd like a buddy who can relate, I'd welcome you as a friend.

Good luck to you in your journey!!

<3
    Lilly
  • B140
    B140 Posts: 56
    Options
    I agree with accountant_boi. You would be best off seeing a nutritionist and getting advice from that front if you are looking for specific foods to eat and avoid. Beyond that, just remember that you can make the changes a little at a time if it feels overwhelming and you will still be doing something good for you health. This is a life long process and even when you get good advice from professionals you'll have to tweak it to match your likes/dislikes. For exercise, I say try lots of things and see what fits you. As long as your body is moving you are making it healthier so it doesn't matter if you want to walk, dance, or do jumping jacks. Just take it a day at a time, don't beat up on yourself and enjoy the ride!
  • KaylaRymer
    Options

Obviously there are standard nutrition guidelines you can follow in the meantime - try to stay away from processed food, especially processed carbs (including added sugar). Eat a well-balanced diet with a variet of vegetables, fruit, lean protein, whole grains/healthy carbs, and healthy fats. Beyond this, you're best off getting professional advice. Name: Trenton
    Aurora, Colorado

- Trenton- yes I have thought about this alot, and I agree it is probably my best solution. I really like seeking other opinions because alot of the times the people you seek help from are only going by what they have been taught and have not a clue what it actually feels like to go through it first hand. I know people (especially women) who read and read and see doctors upon doctors and follow the rules to a T and nothing...not a thing happens. But I think your advice is great...I need to see a professional and get some education on this subject. By the way...my husband is from Greeley, CO...it is a beautiful state!!! :heart:
  • KaylaRymer
    Options
    Lilly- seems we have alot in common...I also have PCOS. I was diagnosed with both the thyroid and the PCOS about 6 months ago. It is why I am insulin resistant. I also fight the urges to return to the "extreme". But I just cant do it to my body again, I just dont have it in me anymore. Not to mention I nearly killed myself over the course of 10 years. My advice on the PCOS is to get all the knowledge you can and listen carefully to your doctor. If I didnt already have my baby girl I would have been devastated. Good luck <3