Packing a lunch - ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not only is bringing your lunch healthier, it's cheaper than take out!

Sometimes I use last night's salad as a sandwich the next day (some people think that's gross). I second the notion of bringing leftovers because it gives you a reason to not eat everything you made for dinner. Since I'm single I often have leftovers.

I also like the occasional can of soup w/ 1/2 a bagel and lowfat cream cheese. Progresso makes a good high fiber minestrone soup that is suprisingly good, and the sodium isn't bad if you are the kind of person who tends not to go over her daily sodium intake.

Hummus with sprouts on 12-grain bread is a good sandwich, particularly with sliced tomatoes. Lots of fiber there!

Good luck!
  • hawkermurray
    hawkermurray Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So many great ideas that I can't wait to try!!
  • sheffie
    sheffie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    there are these great pita sandwich pockets at the grocery that are 100 calories...I fill mine up with some hummus, cucumber, dijon mustard, lettuce, half a slice of provolone and some chick or turkey!! this is my favorite thing ever...if I have veggies that are about to spoil I'll throw them in and it's super tasty and easy to eat at work if you don't have a microwave
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    I have a selection of Lean Cusines in my freezer at home. I usually will have one of those and a small salad. For a snack in the AM I will eat a yoplait yougurt. And if I need something additional during my 8 hour work day I keep raw almonds and will have a few here and there. I also am big on salads. I love adding a pack of tuna in water to a salad. I eat a salad with lunch almost everyday of the week. When my garden takes off this season I love making a tomatoes / cucumber salad with fresh dill. And just a drizzle of light Ital. dressing. So good. Also when the season arrives I love watermelon and catalope. Hope this helps.
  • Cbeth80
    Cbeth80 Posts: 49
    Options
    I have become the queen of packing my lunch. here are a few of my favorites:
    grilled chicken breast and spinach spring mix salad with fat free Italian
    homemade chicken salad ( i have a great recipe if you want...)
    turkey sandwich on rye with Kettle Brand Tias (chips)
    Veggie Lasagna leftovers
    tuna wraps (one can of tuna, fresh spinach, lettuce, chopped roma tomatoes, bell pepper,lite mayo, pepper, red onion, whole wheat tortilla or pita)
    Mexican Bean soup (corn, black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, or any other bean you like, 1 can of rotel, can of diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and a little water, season to taste) and a little shredded cheese on top if you have the calories to spare
    all of these are 300-400 cal. meals that i like
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches or leftover are the easiest for me. DH and I are both on this adventure together so I always pack both our lunches the night before and we can grab it and go. If I do not pack the night before, you can pretty much forget me doing it in the morning. So that is my biggest peice of advise, get everything ready to night before.
  • Cbeth80
    Cbeth80 Posts: 49
    Options
    making a pack of chicken and using it through the week works best for me. you can use it in so many dishes from salads to sandwiches to soups or wraps
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time and take it for lunch, it"s filling too!

Cucumber & chick pea salad.
    3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1tsp dried
    4 cups peeled & diced cucumber
    1 can chick peas rinced
    2/3 diced red bell peppers
    fresh ground pepper
    1/2 cup feta cheese
    1/4 cup slivered red onion
    2 tbsp black olives

Whisk oil, lemon juice , oregano & pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, chick peas, bell pepper, feta cheese, onions & black olives, Toss to coat. Serve chilled or at room tempature.
    160 calories per serving.
    Its a family favorite around my House =)