Getting cals from recipes?

Options
emrogers
emrogers Posts: 328 Member
Ok, I cannot figure this out. I don't know how to get the servings/cals from my recipes. I'll put an example.

1 1/2 C of oatmeal= 221 cals
2 1/2 C of Cocunut Milk=200 cals
2 TBS of raw honey= 120cals

so I usually use 1/4 C of this? How do I figure how many cals I'm actually getting?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    put it into the recipe calculator and put in 4 servings.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Divide the total of the recipe by 4 (1/4 of the recipe). Or if it is one of your meals, put in .25.

Best of luck ~
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    It sounds really good!!
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    It looks like 3 servings since 1/2 cup of oatmeal is 1 serving. Does that sound reasonable?
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    If your serving size is 1/4 of a cup, you probably have more than 4 servings in one batch. This is what I would do: Make a batch like normal and measure how many 1/4 cup servings you get from it. You can figure out the calories in one 1/4 cup serving by either dividing the number of calories in the whole batch by the number of servings in a batch, or by entering the number of servings directly into mfp for it to calculate for you.

Hopefully that makes sense!
  • JeffK627
    JeffK627 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, I cannot figure this out. I don't know how to get the servings/cals from my recipes. I'll put an example.

so I usually use 1/4 C of this? How do I figure how many cals I'm actually getting?
    Thanks!!!

Do you mean you use 1/4 of the whole thing or 1/4 CUP of the whole thing? Either way, all you need to do is figure out how many servings the whole recipe adds up to, then enter that in the recipe calculator where it asks how many people it serves. Then when you add it to your diary put that you had 1 serving and it will do the math for you!

For example, you recipe adds up to 541 cals total. If the recipe makes 4 servings then enter 4 for how many people it serves, then when you add it to your diary use the drop down to select 1 serving and you'll be all set. In this case, it should tell you that it was 541 / 4 or about 135 calories.

If you're not sure how many servings it is, make a batch and keep track of how many servings you get out of it, then use that in the calculator - you might end up having to go back and add the calories to your previous days' totals, but at least you'll know for the future.
  • emrogers
    Options
    It sounds really good!!
    It's yummy!!!! I make a big batch and just scoop out what I need daily. Its great w/steel cut oats.
    add cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract whatever you like and presto!!
  • emrogers
    Options

Thanks!!!

Do you mean you use 1/4 of the whole thing or 1/4 CUP of the whole thing? Either way, all you need to do is figure out how many servings the whole recipe adds up to, then enter that in the recipe calculator where it asks how many people it serves. Then when you add it to your diary put that you had 1 serving and it will do the math for you!

For example, you recipe adds up to 541 cals total. If the recipe makes 4 servings then enter 4 for how many people it serves, then when you add it to your diary use the drop down to select 1 serving and you'll be all set. In this case, it should tell you that it was 541 / 4 or about 135 calories.

If you're not sure how many servings it is, make a batch and keep track of how many servings you get out of it, then use that in the calculator - you might end up having to go back and add the calories to your previous days' totals, but at least you'll know for the future.
    I take a 1/4 C of the whole thing.
  • Anya143
    Anya143 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    4 servings

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 191 g

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 493Calories from Fat 340
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 37.8g58%
    Saturated Fat 32.1g160%