calorie burn

Options
I have my weight loss set at 2 lbs a week because I am sort of on a deadline. My couter says that I need to burn 4500 calories a week. With my schedule I am finding this really hard to meet.

What is a good average calorie burn per day?

Replies

• Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    4500 / 7 = 642.85714 ( round up to 643) that is the cal burn u need per day :)

hope this helps

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    are you working out daily? that sounds like an awful lot of exercise! maybe lower your cals a little so you have less to burn? :o)
  • nikkijedlo
    nikkijedlo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of calories to burn in a week - if my math is right, that's about 643 calories/day. I can hit that if I do my 4 mile run or 5 mile rollerblade loop along with a workout dvd. But that's 1-2 hrs of working out/day.

How much time do you have to work out every day? What is your usual workout?
  • kbickel
    kbickel Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow, that's a heck of a lot of daily calories to burn. I have been working out twice per day. Circuit training and walking and get up there, an hour of circuit training and a half hour of walking moderate pace. Is this goal realistic for you? I am still only losing 1 lb per week with all of that and really watching what I eat. However, I am losing mega inches.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind hearing from a guy, I'd like to encourage you. As others have commented, 643 calories a day is a lot, and you need to take a rest day weekly, but it is attainable. I would actually recommend dropping back to 1.5 lbs a week loss, which is much easier, but whatever you decide it will take some serious aerobic exercise. I am a cyclist and according to the database I am burning over 700 calories per hour at a 13 mph average. 13 mph is laughably slow for my young serious cyclist friends, but it strains me. I am neither young nor as serious as them. I find cycling far easier and more enjoyable than indoor aerobic activities, and therefore easier to do for an hour at a time. I sometimes ride two hours on Saturday. Or, I used to do 45 minutes of plyometrics or something similar in the morning and 30 to 45 min of cycling in the afternoon which also got me well over the number of calories that you need to burn daily. Of course this is all dependant on one being in shape for a high level of activity. You may have to build up to it. But it can be done, and its not that hard once you get the base level of fitness in that allows an hour a day of activity. I wish you well!
  • bethymay123
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your reply,
    I babysit a three year old a three month old and have my daughter who is one tomorrow from 7 am till 4:30 when by boys gat home. After that it is homework, dinner, andbedtime routine. If I'm lucky I get about twenty minutes during the day when I can work out. I try to do what I can when the babies are down for a nap.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow, you only have twenty minutes a day to burn 600 - 700 calories? That's really tough. My previous sugestions won't help you a bit! After learning of your restrictions about all that I can suggest is a serious cardio dvd like Shaun T's Insanity workout. Most of the ten workouts are 37 to 45 minutes though there are a couple of longer ones. I havn't done Insanity but I hope to get it next winter when I have to give up cycling outdoors and move back indoors. I hear it is a great workout and huge calorie burn. That's the best I can suggest. Good luck!
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    well if you have the room and budget you could always do the Cycling but on either rollers or a turbo trainer indorrs as you get the best of both worlds with it and the calorie burn is really good, I can burn over 1000 calories in an hour of a good interval session, Then you don't have to do it every day and can vary you week.
  • Ladyshenellope
    Options
    I just got a weighted hula hoop, i started with a 1kg hoop, its really handy cause whenever you have a spare 10 mins you can just pop into your bedroom and give it a swing. You can get it out while the baby is napping and children are amused with games etc. You can take it to pieces so you can take it with you if you baby sit in another house. You dont need to get change or anything i just do it in what i am wearing round the house. The net says you can burn between 200 and 300 calories doing it for 30 mins non stop. I do it at 10 mins a time and base the calorie burn on 200 cals for 30 mins.