horrendous decision

Options
Arrgh. Overindulged to the tune of 700 calories yesterday!!!!!

I've been so good for the fortnight I've been trying to sort my life out - running 5 days a week, watching what I eat... and then I had to go and eat 4 slices of pizza for dinner.

Why? What is it that makes me do this? And most of all... do I be honest and keep the 4 slices showing and click to complete the days food and see what awful total it will say I will weigh in 5 weeks...?!!!

I hate it when I do that. It just makes me feel so useless. How do you guys keep on track? What do you do to recover from a blow out of these proportions???

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing yesterday. Went out to lunch at work (which I never hardly do) and hauled off and got a cheeseburger and fries.. and ate it all! I was over in my calories needless to say.

Point is, today is a new day. What's done is done and now all we can do is keep going forward. Besides, I do believe that one bad meal doesn't ruin all your (our) hard work. For me, I am going to try to remember how horrible I felt afterwards and of course also remember my goals, to prevent this from happening again. I feel so much better mentally & physically when I make the right choices, just have to keep that in mind.

Hit the gym hard (much like I did this morning) and stay on track! Oh.. and lots of water!! :laugh:
    Hang in there.. you'll be fine!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Everyone overindulges at times... you have to recognize the mistake, think about what might have lead you to overeat (were you bored? stressed? anxious? happy?) and come up with a plan on what you'll do the next time you're in that situation. Learn from what happened, recognize it, and move on. Each day is a new day, each meal is a new meal. Yesterday's mistake does not have to impact your continued success in the long run. An occasional 700 calorie overage is not going to derail your progress unless you allow it to.
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    sometimes those slip ups will boost up your metabolism and help you lose a bit more that week. Not saying you should slip up more or anything lol but when you keep your metabolism guessing it tends to give a temporary ramp up :)
  • kmck045
    kmck045 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you!

I've already given up weighing myself because I expected to lose 4-5 kilos in the first week - considering that I've started this running lark and I've sat on my backside for the past year. That didn't happen - I only lost 200 grams - so now I'm scared of the stupid scales.

HOWEVER on a good note, I noticed my jeans are starting to look a wee bit baggy round the bum.

I know I have to do this for my own health and wellbeing, I just get so gutted when I muck up.

I suppose if being skinny was easy then we all would be!
  • Cbeth80
    Cbeth80 Posts: 49
    Options
    Well that is the good part about it. It let's you know if you eat whatever you will gain so much weight. It is my motivation
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is me. I've been eating poorly all week. Seems like I get into this horrible "all or nothing" mindset. It's difficult for me to get back into eating healthy. I usually do really good and then go out to eat at a restaurant and it's all over from there.

Anyway, to get over this, I've just been increasing my water intake and making sure I get to the gym. I'm hoping continuing with all my other healthy habits will help me get through this as I work out the eating situation.
  • JaXXster
    JaXXster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you wrote this! I've been over my calorie limit for two days now . . . I just want to eat anything and everything, I had a BK today, I didn't really enjoy it but I stuffed it in as fast as I could. Last night I had a curry craving! The good thing is that I didn't call the local Indian takeaway, I made a curry instead.

I was so good last week, and was amazed every day at how I never had hunger pangs and was literally struggling to eat everything on my plate, I lost 3lb. I don't know what's happened but I;m not happy about it.

I sympathise!
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't make a habit of days like that, then don't stress. I try to look at my week as a whole. I stay under some days, so if I do go over it all averages out. I'm not going to give up the food I love (like pizza and burgers) forever, so I need to learn how to include them sensibly. This is a new lifestyle, not a diet that you will be "on" and "off". Put in some extra gym time, make up for it where you can and let it go. For me, it's about balance.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    700 cals over? On only one day? Not so terrible, if it's only every now and then. Why not just hit the elliptical for an extra 30 minute session? That should be good for 300-350 of those cals.... then you're only over by a smaller amount.

If you do that 30 minute penance once more during the week, you're completely back on track!

So, don't despair! This is easily remedied - you can do this.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    And one other comment: What is your daily calorie deficit? If it's 500, you've only lost a day and a half, even if you do nothing to remedy this. Not so terrible. Get back on the program, and you'll be just fine.
  • kmck045
    kmck045 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hmm. I didn't think about the fact I'm normally a little under the calorie goal.

I'm a bit destitute at the mo so I decided to take up running - seems to be worth quite a few calories so it's worth the pain! But because I don't appear to be shedding the kilos as fast as I thought I would, I'm trying to eat below the recommended amount anyway.

Who knew I'd have to concentrate on it this hard!