Extra Calories

Options
I have read a few forums on this topic. I can never make my calorie goal of 1200 calories a day, I almost always have extra calories to use. Like today, I have 1229 to use, I cleaned the house and did 45 min of "walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace". Should I eat a semi larger meal for dinner to make up for so many calories to use?

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Yep, you sure can do that. Nuts are high in Calories and heart healthy fats, so you can get a bunch of calories out of eating a small amount of them if you are full. A nutritionist told me that you can eat up to 2 hours before you sleep without it affecting you.... -Cassie
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It depends. How accurate is your calorie burn? Did you wear a HRM or go by MFP's numbers. You could be over-estimating especially with the house cleaning.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Drink juice
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself with a lot of extra calories and you use a HRM to get your calorie burn, then I suggest a glass of milk or some sort of jucie. Just be careful with the juice as it can have a lot more sugar in it then you expect.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Be careful of your calories burned I think house cleaning is really just part of everyday activity. I don't count anything that isn't done fast and with the thought of burning calories. Remember everyday active is added in the numbers in the set up.
  • kjmosquito
    kjmosquito Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think I have extra calories to eat as well, however I agree with not counting the everyday thing. For example, i did the 3.5 brisk walk this morning and then just did another one right after lunch. I need to get this weight off, and I'm trying to keep it at 1200 calories - not adding back in what I do during the day. When i lost weight before my wedding; the doctor put me on a 1200 calorie per day diet - including exercise - but I didn't count those extra calories when I exercised. I used the Walk Away the Lbs. video with the resistence bands which is exactly what I'm going to do again. It works - then i work out with my trainer 2 x per week is all.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Getting my 1850 to over 2000 cals a day can be tough, especially when I got a late start to the day. Today due to my workout I still had close to 1500 remaining, so I had a protein shake and an apple after my work out. I shoot for small meals that pack a high but healthy caloric load. Breakfast is usually a slice of All Natural Whole Wheat toast with All Natural peanutbutter, topped with a banana and washed down with a glass of milk, comes out to 401 calories for a small meal. Nuts are a great way as well, 1/4 can pack anywhere from 140 cals to 200. Sometimes if I really need the calories and some fat I'll put a tablespoon of olive oil in my shake (you don't taste it, trust me) one tablespoon is 120 calories and packed with healthy fats that are good for the skin, hair and so on. Avacados are a good way too, good fats, good amount of calories in a small portion. Just need to get creative.