Sleep Apnea

Options
OK, So I just CANNOT sleep with the stupid mask, and it's not like I have not tried. I have tried almost every night consistently for over a year. Even if I do fall asleep with it on I rip it off at night. I have only 3 times in over a year made it a (almost) full night sleep with the mask on. I have also tried a different mask.

I am seriously looking at the surgery and wondering if anyone else here has had the surgery and if so how has it worked. I have read a bunch of horror stories, but also some people have had awesome success.

I know losing weight will help, but also the sleep Dr. said it is more about my face structure...or something like that. It is not just my weight that is causing it. Any info about the surgery will be appreciated, thanks!

Shannon

Replies

• Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had a UPPP. It worked fine till I gained more weight. Lose the weight first.
    I no longer have sleep apnea
    When you lose weight you will sleep better and if the surgery is needed then you will be better prepared for the operation.
  • caboeyes
    caboeyes Posts: 24
    Options
    Shannon, I feel your pain. I too have trouble with my mask. I started with the soft nasal pillow because I get claustrophobic with my mask on. I too rip my mask off while I'm sleeping. I am using a brand new mask now that is a little better, a really soft one (like the nasal pillow but covers just around the mouth and nose....because I am a "mouth breather") but I am eager to hear any suggestions/ comments from others on the list. Good luck to you!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    SYOUNG, talk to your dentist about an "appliance",,,,,,I used it for about one year, it was 500 , not cheap, but much cheaper than a CPAP machine

also, it stays in all nite long , and it was no problem...........The appliance was called a TAP, Thorton Adjustable Positioner, it holds your tounge from moving back and shutting off your airway........email me, Ill send you the website, again, I dont work for them , Im just a customer and I bought it because I heard so m any stories like yours about the CPAP

Incidentally, since I lost the weight, I dont have to use my appliance.........one of many benefits of slimming down.....Lloyd

here is the site, again, I dont work for them, but I am a truly satisfied customer, and now I dont have sleep apnea any longer

http://www.dentalartslab.com/tap-3-thornton-adjustable-positioner
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had sleep apnea for several years now and according to my doctor weight loss would help but mine is sooo bad that surgery wouldn't fix it. So after lots of trial and error I found this mask and its the only one that I can use. I mean if they discontinue it I am so screwed. Anyhoo check it out: http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage_liberty/mirage-liberty.html?nc=patients

Feel free to message me any questions!
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Shannon, I feel your pain. I too have trouble with my mask. I started with the soft nasal pillow because I get claustrophobic with my mask on. I too rip my mask off while I'm sleeping. I am using a brand new mask now that is a little better, a really soft one (like the nasal pillow but covers just around the mouth and nose....because I am a "mouth breather") but I am eager to hear any suggestions/ comments from others on the list. Good luck to you!

Kinda sounds like my mirage Liberty...I'm the same way girl friend!!
  • s_ballchic_2
    Options
    Hey, My husband has the same problem that you do, he rips off the mask in his sleep and sometimes the water gets up in the tube and chokes him. I can tell you that he has lost ten pounds and he is sleeping better now. What surgery are you talking about?