QUESTIONS ABOUT EXERCISING

Options
I'm not exactly sure how to go about my exercises. I always do 30-45 minutes of cardio then I use various machines for different body parts.
Should I do cardio every time I go to the gym and then just focus on one area at a time? Like on Mondays-legs, Tuesdays-arms and back, etc.
Or
Should I do a complete body workout everytime I go to the gym?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    GOOGLE CIRCUIT TRAINING. There are Tons of workouts out there
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    My trainer has me switching it up - Cardio every day. Upper Body every other day, switched up with Lower Body and Abdominals every day! Good Luck!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to what works for you and your schedule. I personally like to do a total body strength training session. It takes me about an hour and a half but when I do compound moves I burn more calories, only lift twice a week and do cardio the other days. That"s what works best for me. Hope you find the right balance for you!
  • barkesu
    barkesu Posts: 3
    Options
    Cardio is a good way to burn calories and you can do it everyday. The experts recommend you give 48 hours rest when working major body parts with weight. So do legs one day, back another, chest another etc. Strength building will build and tone muscles which will ultimately help you lose weight. Good luck girl!
  • pepzkat
    pepzkat Posts: 3
    Options
    Whatever works for you and your schedule. I usually do cardio everyday, On Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays, I also do Weights/strength training. I do a full body workout those days. That seems to work for me. But it's all about what is good for your body and what time you have to do it.:wink: Good luck with your exercising!
  • KTNemo
    KTNemo Posts: 100
    Options
    I am not a certified personal trainer, but I have worked with many over the years. The one constant rule that they all seem to agree on is not to work the same mucles (strength training) everyday. The one exception to this rule is abdominal muscles, which can be worked daily. And that moderate to hard cardio workouts are the best way to get you into cardiovascular shape, as well as burn fat.

The best way to go about working out, and this is different for everyone, is to vary your routine. This way, you are constantly keeping your muscles unbalanced. Muscle gets used to routine and this will slow down your progress, hence having to add reps and resistance/weight, time, speed, etc.

The best way to get into shape is to do a couple days a week of resistance training and 3-5 days a week of cardio for 30-60 minutes. For instance, your workout schedule can be M, W, F running/jogging/eliptical/cycling for 30-60 minutes and T/Th Circuit training. Or you can do M,W, F cardio, followed by arms and back and T, Th cardio followed by legs, abs, and butt. Do whatever works for you and your schedule, but try to vary your routine.

You should always warm up with some light cardio, no matter what you are doing. Working out "cold" muscles through vigorous strength training/lifting is a great way to seriously injure yourself. Run/walk on a treadmill, bike, or use an elliptical for 5-10 minutes before you lift, and repeat this routine for 5-10 minutes once you are done.
  • paigecrowe
    paigecrowe Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!!!