Elliptical Users

Options
I've been using an elliptical for about 2 months now, and i LOVE it! I was reading a thread somewhere and a woman said her calves were getting larger. I don't want this to happen :((! On the elliptical I use I can lower or raise the cross ramp, and it lights up to tell me which parts of the body it is working. I put it on a level to where only my quadriceps, hamstrings, and arms are being used. Has anyone experienced growth in certain areas? Any tips for getting the best out of the elliptical? I've been using it on a pretty good resistance, but I don't want to bulk up, just tone and slim down. Just curious what the best way to do that is. Thank you!

Replies

• cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that problem... mine have been getting smaller, but I've got a lot to lose...
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing it fine... but you won't "BULK" up from cardio... your muscles may just get better toned because the fat is being burned. She may have been doing other exercises that caused her calf muscles to seem bigger.

I wouldn't worry... muscle is sexy... fat it not!!!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've lost inches in my thighs and calves. I haven't had anything getting bigger.
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have been using an elliptical for 5 months straight-whether it be a crosstrainer, arch trainer, ect.
    I have only found good things! All the fat my legs has been falling off, I haven't gained a lot of muscle that would look bulky but I sure did start toning up!
    I dont think you have anythng to worry about with an elliptical doing that to your legs!

:) For getting the best out of an elliptical, I do the fat burn option one day and then the personal trainer, and then mix it up every time. I also add more incline everytime I use it and I have found that I am stronger. And I can last a long time on it and do other exercises better. Its an awesome tool. I also tighten my abs everytime I bring the arm bar forward, that has helped a lot!