Caffeine Question

Options
ok, i've heard that too much caffeine can make weight loss difficult, but i've also heard that it can speed up your weight loss by boosting your metabolism. does anyone know anything about this? how much is too much? im a coffeeholic and Starbucks is like my 2nd home!

Replies

• sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ok, i've heard that too much caffeine can make weight loss difficult, but i've also heard that it can speed up your weight loss by boosting your metabolism. does anyone know anything about this? how much is too much? im a coffeeholic and Starbucks is like my 2nd home!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

Interesting... I actually avoid coffee b/c it acts as an appetite suppressant for me. However, some of Starbuck's specialty coffees have a ton of calories. What are you drinking at Starbuck's? And do you get a baked good?:wink:
  • sunshine92
    Options
    i've noticed that too! when i drink coffee, i dont have an appetite for a while. Oh no no no... i never get full fat specialty drinks :smile: the only things i order there are : a light coffee frap. ( a grande is only 130 calories! yay!), a skinny latte (w/ sugar free mocha,caramel, or hazelnut/ they're only 90 cal. for a tall) , or just a house coffee w/ splenda and skim milk. the only baked good i get (very rarely), is the no sugar added banana nut bread. what do you get?
  • sunshine92
    Options
    anyone have any info? :smile:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Found this for ya :wink:

How Caffeine Affects the Body
    Caffeine is best known for its stimulant, or "wake-up," effect. Once a person consumes caffeine, it is readily absorbed by the body and carried around in the bloodstream, where its level peaks about one hour after consumption. Caffeine mildly stimulates the nervous and cardiovascular systems. It affects the brain and results in elevated mood, decreased fatigue, and increased attentiveness, so a person can think more clearly and work harder. It also increases the heart rate, blood flow, respiratory rate, and metabolic rate for several hours. When taken before bedtime, caffeine can interfere with getting to sleep or staying asleep.
  • sunshine92
    Options
    thanks! i guess i'll keep drinking it then! (as i sip on my light coffee frap :smile: ) one time i went two weeks on decaf and my weight loss stayed the same so i guess the thing about it stalling your weight loss is a myth.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    thanks! i guess i'll keep drinking it then! (as i sip on my light coffee frap :smile: ) one time i went two weeks on decaf and my weight loss stayed the same so i guess the thing about it stalling your weight loss is a myth.

decaf is a swear word to me lol
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

I've never understood decaf--for me, I actually hate the taste of coffee and that's why I need Splenda and cream in it--I drink it for the caffeine. So I've never understood those who drink decaf?? I guess to each their own....

Still, if you have high blood pressure (as I do) coffee isn't great. I do limit myself now to no more than 2 or 3 cups at the max per day and usually just have 1 cup.

It's also a diuretic, so watch out.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options

I've never understood decaf--for me, I actually hate the taste of coffee and that's why I need Splenda and cream in it--I drink it for the caffeine. So I've never understood those who drink decaf??

exactly
  • sunshine92
    Options

-lol- yeah... i was pretty much miserable! especially since i love STRONG coffee! :happy:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    i've noticed that too! when i drink coffee, i dont have an appetite for a while. Oh no no no... i never get full fat specialty drinks :smile: the only things i order there are : a light coffee frap. ( a grande is only 130 calories! yay!), a skinny latte (w/ sugar free mocha,caramel, or hazelnut/ they're only 90 cal. for a tall) , or just a house coffee w/ splenda and skim milk. the only baked good i get (very rarely), is the no sugar added banana nut bread. what do you get?

I probably go to Starbuck's once a month. I usually get a tall regular coffee. I bring my own cream and sugar b/c I find that they are way too generous w/the cream and sugar. I used to be happy about that but now that I am trying to lose weight I don't trust them to dispense my cream and sugar. I never eat the baked goods but they always looks so yummy!
  • sunshine92
    Options

I've never understood decaf--for me, I actually hate the taste of coffee and that's why I need Splenda and cream in it--I drink it for the caffeine. So I've never understood those who drink decaf??

exactly
    it kinda defeats the purpose...
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options

-lol- yeah... i was pretty much miserable! especially since i love STRONG coffee! :happy:

me too, i made a cup of espressos once,... lmao wow
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    reports say that the amount of caffine in 1 or 2 cups of coffee can slightly elevate the metabolism for a short period (say 1/2 to 1 hour) but not by enough or for long enough to promote weight loss. If you add cream to your coffee you just burned it up (if you have 2 tblspns of 1/2 and 1/2 that is, in 12 oz), also the crash after that "high" can contribute to evening it out. Most reports that I read say that it is a Net Zero drink if you don't put sugar in it, I.E. it really doesn't do anything beneficial for you, but it also doesn't really harm you either, unless you count the fact that caffine is addictive. Problem with coffee is that it is a diarhetic which means that you lose water, so if you're going to drink it, don't count it as water (you actually can count some of it, but not the whole amount, I think they say like 1/2 or something)
  • shorerider
    Options
    Just before I changed my eating lifestyle, I discovered Viet Namese coffee. Ever heard of it--link below that has photos and all.

http://www.howtobrewcoffee.com/Vietnamese.htm

Anyway, I had some at a restaurant and was floored! It was soooooooooooo good! I bought my own special maker like in the photos and everything.

BUT, as you can see in the photos, it has 1/3 can of sweetened condensed milk in each cup :sick:

Sooo, as you can guess, I don't make it anymore. :ohwell:

Anyone want a used Vietnamese coffee maker?? :tongue:

I do use it on occasion though with the special coffee I bought for it--I just don't put in the condensed milk. It's VERY strong coffee!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    reports say that the amount of caffine in 1 or 2 cups of coffee can slightly elevate the metabolism for a short period (say 1/2 to 1 hour) but not by enough or for long enough to promote weight loss. If you add cream to your coffee you just burned it up (if you have 2 tblspns of 1/2 and 1/2 that is, in 12 oz), also the crash after that "high" can contribute to evening it out. Most reports that I read say that it is a Net Zero drink if you don't put sugar in it, I.E. it really doesn't do anything beneficial for you, but it also doesn't really harm you either, unless you count the fact that caffine is addictive. Problem with coffee is that it is a diarhetic which means that you lose water, so if you're going to drink it, don't count it as water (you actually can count some of it, but not the whole amount, I think they say like 1/2 or something)

all true, but based on the above, (I drink my coffee black, and don't add sugar or anything btw), theres no reason to stop drinking it of you are trying to 'be careful'
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    BUT, as you can see in the photos, it has 1/3 can of sweetened condensed milk in each cup :sick:

omg lmao
  • shorerider
    Options
    well, the recipe actually calls for "1/3 an inch" but the cup I had in the restaurant had about 2" of it in the bottom!!!!!!! And, I put about 1 cup on mine when i made it.

GAAAHHH! I get sick just thinking about some of the stuff I used to put in my body!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

all true, but based on the above, (I drink my coffee black, and don't add sugar or anything btw), theres no reason to stop drinking it of you are trying to 'be careful'

correct crazy man :tongue: Hey Al hows life on your end of the pond, it's HOT HOT HOT over here.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    correct crazy man :tongue: Hey Al hows life on your end of the pond, it's HOT HOT HOT over here.

raining as usual mate :grumble:

We had about a week of sun bow its overcast with occational rain lol, great huh lol