Training for first half marathon - Newbie!

Options
Hello All!

I'm new to this site, I found it as an app for my phone. I am currently training for my first half marathon that will take place on May 1st. I started training in January, and 3 months later have not lost much weight. I decided I would also keep track of my calorie intake.

As far as training goes, I'm only able to do long distance on the weekends. I work a 9-5 and I have two young children who need me at home when I'm not working. I chose to do my running at 6am on Saturday and Sunday mornings before my children wake up. I have also been able to sneak in a few quick 30 minute runs during the week after dinner. So far, I am running 8 miles at a time. This week I will increase to 9 miles. I have NOT been able to improve my speed, running an average of 10 minutes a mile. Any tips on what I can do to improve my speed?

Regarding calorie intake and weight loss: I am currently at 126 with my goal weight being at 115 or so. I am 5'4 and have always been on the thinner side but after having my second child, I haven't quite been the same. I need to get my whole body firmed and toned up. I have absolutely no muscle definition!

This app has been so helpful at keeping me at 1200 calories a day. I never paid attention to calories before, and boy does this app help me make wise decisions. I look forward to meeting new people that are also on this weight loss journey and I wish you all the best of luck!

Replies

• slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You might want to Google half marathon training schedules. I am going to try to walk my first one in October, so after talking to a friend who runs half marathons she told me about training schedules. After researching a bit I found several 10 or 12 week training programs. I'm going to follow the Fleet Feet half marathon training schedule (which you can find by Googleing just that). Good luck!
  • RisRis85
    RisRis85 Posts: 28
    Options
    I am also training for my first marathon April 17th. I think speed is not so important, just as long as you are logging in the miles.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Above is a really good training schedule, that maybe you can use for these last couple of weeks before you race.

Remember too, you always run faster in a race because of all the people and adrenaline!! :):):)
  • krystie99
    krystie99 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first one this weekend! Like the previous posts, I'd suggest a running plan, I used runnersworld.com. Check your races elevation, I was sorta shocked with how many hills mine had and wish I had worked on that a bit more. Also, some runners suggest against it, but 2 weeks before my race I ran a trial 13.1, so when I was at the starting line I knew I could do the miles. Last but not least, have fun! It's a blast and I'm already thinking about my next. Good luck! :)