Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is sugar that big of a deal?

So far I seem to be having alot of success with MFP and my CardioTrainer app on my android... I have lost weight already and I've only been doing this for 6 days so far. So this isn't a complaint... I'm just trying to understand as much as possible.
I have learned more in the last week than I ever did in health class back in high school...

Ok so now to the actual question. Is it a big deal if I CONSISTENTLY go over my daily allotted sugar allowance? I have been able to stay under my calorie allowance no problem. And I know that sugar is basically empty calories... but I'm still below my allotted calories.... so I feel like I should be allowed to have my sugar.

And I don't mean, oh I went over by 3g of sugar... I'm talking like 2 times or 3 times what my suggested sugar intake is supposed to be.

I have a sweet tooth... an insanely active sweet tooth. And I cannot find a sugar substitute that I can even tolerate. Even that new Stevia or whatever... it's all GRRROOOSSSSS.
:frown:

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    It depends what your goals are- for me, I treat it like carbs, sure there are great advantages to lowering it but they just aren't a priority for me.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    I'm also a sugar addict- tried keeping track of my sugar for a bit, and was totally bummed that having a glass of milk and a banana put me over my sugar for the day. So..... I don't keep track of sugar anymore, especially if it's the "healthy" kind.
  • I have the same problem. I eat a banana and I am basically three quarters of my sugar for the day. I would like to bring down the amount of sugar I consume but how can I eat fruit at all if it will take so much of my sugar allowance.
  • parkere0528
    parkere0528 Posts: 1 Member
    Well, me, myself, I only go over due to the fruit that I eat throughout the day. I do not eat granulated sugars only stevia and splenda. So, I believe that if you are eating fruit that are naturally sweet there isnt a problem. Hoever, if you eat a lot of sweets you are not getting in what you are needing to in order to keep the bad sugar out. Again, this is my opinion.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    granulated and process sugar are bad.
    food sugars are not.
    if you say you have a sweet tooth and are eating candy, cakes, cookies, muffins, stuff like that then you are being counterproductive to your end goal and it will eventually catch up to you. even natural sugars should be limited to the earlier part of the day and none in the evenings to be digested.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    I stopped tracking sugar in my diary and now only track carbs and fiber. My sugar overwhelmingly comes from fruit and it was unnecessarily bewildering to me to see that number turn red every single day. If you are having trouble getting refined sugar out of your diet (which is something that will stall weight-loss) then I would continue to track it. However, there is no way to distinguish between refined sugar and natural sugars in your diary.

Edit to Add:
    And I don't mean, oh I went over by 3g of sugar... I'm talking like 2 times or 3 times what my suggested sugar intake is supposed to be.

I have a sweet tooth... an insanely active sweet tooth. And I cannot find a sugar substitute that I can even tolerate. Even that new Stevia or whatever... it's all GRRROOOSSSSS.

I refuse to consume artificial sugars as well, but have dramatically cut back on the amount of sugar in my diet, especially from sugared beverages. This article explains in some pretty scary detail why a high sugar diet contributes to poor health: http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/sugar.htm . So if you are routinely going over due to processed sugar in your diet, I would continue to track and make it your goal to reduce. Every little bit helps.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    It may depend on whether sugar is having a negative impact on your health. Some people metabolize it (or the kinds of sugar they typically consume) better than others. For example, I eat a *lot* of fruit and it puts me "over" the sugar limit halfway through breakfast. I know for a fact that it's NOT a problem for me because my triglyceride levels are super low. So my doctor said the fruit is clearly not a problem for me and to continue with it because of the many nutritional benefits. However, it may be a different story for someone else. It really helps to have your blood tested to see how your diet is working for your body, and adjust if necessary.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    I don't worry about going over my sugars as long as it is only from fruits and veggies. All other sugars, yeah I think it is a big deal.
  • I don't eat a TON of fruit... I have a tangerine here and there, but mostly it's good old fashioned sugar.
    I mean I've 8 packets of sugar in my coffee and 3 slices of low cal bread today and I'm already over my sugar allowance..

And I love those 100 calorie packs of chips ahoy and shortbread cookies and such... I typically get at least one of those at some point in the day. So I know that's gonna take me even more over....

And I would rather be a cranky b i t * * and tired in the morning with no coffee than switch from sugar to splenda or something. The aftertaste is unbearable for me.

I'm sure that some of it is the fact I haven't quit drinking. But honestly.. I won't. So if that's the problem then I guess I care much less. I have changed what and how I drink, but I'm probably always gonna be a drinker.

I'm not looking at this as "I want to be healthy" because I know that SHOULD be my goal.. but it isn't...
    I just want to be thin again.

My mom gets to stay a size 8 and eat brownies for breakfast, life just isn't fair.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    this is my take on it .... Natural sugars in FRESH Fruit are different than added sugaars in processed food. I think people are getting fatter because when at the grocery store they are loading up on no fat ... fat free ... foods ... just look at peoples carts ... loaded with no fat yogurt with fruit on the bottom ... if you read those labels you will fall off you chair ... The best yogurt is greek yogurt since it has active cultures ... it is more expensive but it does not have al the extra liquid. I do not add fruit to my yogurt .. no fruit with protein.. I eat fruit alone ... has to do with the way fruit digests .. if ya eat it alone .. it is out of your tummy in about aan hour ... some even less ...
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    I haven't quit drinking either, but then I'm not looking for quick weight loss. I've had that many times and also had quick gain. Maybe you should turn the sugars off and turn the sodium on. Then you will see that the processed foods that you enjoy so much are not only giving you empty sugar calories they are loaded with sodium that's keeping the water weight on you. I think it's a good idea to have the foods you love while trying to lose weight, but I am finding that as I eat better I want better. ( You can still see chips in my diary every weekend). ;->
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    I'm not looking at this as "I want to be healthy" because I know that SHOULD be my goal.. but it isn't...
    I just want to be thin again.

My mom gets to stay a size 8 and eat brownies for breakfast, life just isn't fair.

Well if that’s where you are in this process, then you have your answer. Concern yourself only with maintaining a calorie deficit. If being a size six but having all the same health problems as someone who is morbidly obese is a workable plan for you, then a high sugar diet with regular alcohol consumption is an okay path. In time, you may develop a greater self-love that will make it unacceptable to you to treat your body in a way that harms more than it helps. But we are all on our own paths and I wish you luck on your journey.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    The short answer: yes. Refined sugars (that get added to food, like table sugar, high fructose corn syrup, to name a few) have a very high glycemic index, causing insulin spikes, which results in fat storage. One of the quickest ways many people lose weight is to just not "drink" your calories. Make sure your calories count, and are in nutrient dense foods, not in packets of sugar you add to your coffee, or sodas. You are going to find weight loss very difficult unless you re-educate yourself on food nutrition. You've come to the right place!

Personally, I don't worry about the sugars that come from fruits. Some people may have problems with even that kind of sugar, but for most, sugars that occur naturally in foods also come with fiber, vitamins, and lots of other good nutrients that make it ok.