Tennis Elbow and weight lifting???

Options
I have suffered an injury to my left forearm and have been using accupuncture to try and get the pain under control and we are almost there!!! The physio therapist thinks that it is Tennis Elbow, which I guess will be a long term adjustment for me.

Anyway, I am interested in adding weights to my exercise routine but I am wondering when and if I can start introducing them. Does anyone have info on introducing weights after an injury? I'm also looking for people with info on weight lifting while suffering from tennis elbow.

Any info and advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi my daughter is a weightlifter and she can only use ibuprofen for pain due to the doping laws. Here is her site it may have some info there if not I think you can ask questions and they will try and give an answer
    prettystrongblog.blogspot.com/ Good luck
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I suffer from tennis elbow too. I love weight/ strength training, but when my elbow flares up I give it a break for at least A week, and do other exercises instead. Ice packs help, as does ibuprofen, and i FIND COD-LIVER OIL TOO.

(sorry, cat walking on keyboard...)
  • skinnydreams
    Options
    Thanks...I am thinking that I'll have to start gradually and see how the pain is, I'll ask my physio therapist for some easier exercises to get me started! Hopefully I can build up the strength in this arm again! I haven't found a pain medication that actually releaves the pain yet, so for now I'll just carry on, figuring things out as I go! Thanks for getting back to me!
  • McRepka
    McRepka Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi!
    I will be graduating in December with a BS in general biology and dance. Studying in both of those fields, here is what I have learned about injuries such as this: ICE ( ice, compress, elevate), in dance if we get a tendon injury we will run it under cold water for 15 min and then hot water for 15 back and forth for as much of an hour as you can. This gets blood to it and helps heal it. Also, if you are doing workout such as curls, do not curl up past 90 degrees, that is when the stress will hit it.
    AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!! I would wait one more week after it feels better b4 you start anything back up again, this will ensure that it is fully healed!
    hope this helps.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Rest. Rest rest rest rest rest. Rest.

Rest. :laugh:
  • skinnydreams
    Options
    Thank you....I've been resting it from strength training for 3 months, and still hasn't healed......the accupuncture is helping a lot, so I guess I will keep that up and wait for the okay from the doc! I've been compensatingf with my other arm for so long now that I am starting to notyice a difference, hence why I would like to get started. I know you are all right though...I will rest, rest and do a little more resting!

Doesn't mean I can't kill it in cardio though!!!
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have tennis elbow in both my arms. I didn't do physical therapy when I had insurance last year. It's worse when I am sleeping and when I wake up. I use ibuprofen and sometimes use a brace. I too want to use weights but I tried it one day and was in pain afterwards. What to do?