What to drink?

Options
I LOVE milk!!! I have always been a milk drinker and I usually prefer to drink milk over anything, even water. What I didn't realize, until today, was how much sugar it had. I know about the calories and fat content and all that but sugar? Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on what I can drink (when I need a break from water)? I will be cutting back on my milk as of today to maybe 1 or 2 cups, fruit juice also has a ton of calories and sugar so that is out (other than occassionally). But what can I drink when I need some flavor?

Replies

• lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i heard almond milk was better? might wanna google it or give it a try?
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What about V8 juice?..or some crystal light in your water?
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I drink Crystal Light sometimes instead of just plain water. I tried the almond milk but it wasn't for me...some love it, I could only use it in my smoothies. I also go the special k protein mixes to get in some flavor with added protein.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I drink decaf fresh brewed iced tea when I need a break from water.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Green tea?
  • aduong2281
    aduong2281 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lipton Purple Acai and Blueberry Green Tea has a good flavor. Also, the Lipton White Mangosteen and Peach Green Tea.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm told that nothing (except maybe Crystal Light in water) can replace water. So if you're drinking milk (dairy or non), juice, tea, etc. it doesn't count toward your water goal. Milk is a food, while tea, coffee and sodas are diuretics, so they counter hydration.

With that said, have you tried coconut water? They have some flavored ones, so it's a nice break. It also has a lot of electrolytes and runs approximately 60 calories per serving, I think.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cups of skim milk a day... besides that I usually drink water or tea (unsweet but with sweetener since I can't do just unsweet yet!). I also get the flavored waters sometimes (Propel or carbonated ones). Iced coffee is yummy too... but I would still limit it!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Personally I drink water, Coke and Irn bru. I stay within my daily calories and my other nutrition numbers aren't bad either.
  • juliepatchouli
    Options
    I like a splash of lemonaid in my water. We keep a carton in the fridge and add about 1/4 C to a giant glass of water.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Tea!
  • lionempress
    lionempress Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like to drink tea when I need a break. Especially Yogi herbal teas, depending on the ones you get you wont need any sugar or honey added because some have a natural sweet taste. Like the throat comfort is sweet I guess cause of the licorice, and the chai roobios is sweet cause of the cinnamon, and the sweet thai tea is naturally sweet too. zero calories, no caffeine, and natural sweetness!
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How about lemon or lime slices in your water? I use crystal light everyday in at least 1 liter of H20.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Hvae you tried Chai? It's so yummy....and you can usually get it in different flavors like cinnamon or vanilla. It's kind of creamy so you still feel like you are indulging. You can pour it over ice so its cold if you prefer.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I vote for tea.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    make sure you are getting enough calcium if you are cutting back on your milk :)
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    i'm into the WATER big time... more less stopped drinking Club Soda after my dentist told me it was bad for the teeth and thanks to MFP (just from having to write it down!) i find i am drinking less and less of the 'evil' coffee...
    but i keep meaning to try to start drinking some Tea 'cuz its supposed to be so good for you -- particularly the japanese green tea (OCHA) -- ...can anybody attest to the health benefits of drinking tea???
    I vote for tea.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Unsweetened vanila flavored almond milk is only 40 calories per serving and it has protein too. I tried it the first time this week. I franly expected to hate it, because it's unsweetened, but both my husband and I liked it. And it helped with my craving for milk. You might want to give it a try.
  • tinalina81
    Options
    I generally drink Crystal Light or some peppermint tea with a tiny bit of honey in it
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Iced T baby!