Couch To 5K (Stupid) Question!

slmckenzie
slmckenzie Posts: 22 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I've started to try to do the Couch25K after losing some weight this past month, and had my first attempt (W1D1) yesterday. I did alright, but after I was done, I had a few questions. My wife and I were both doing it, and we were unsure of a small detail in the program.

According to the CoolRunning site, it says that for the first week, there should be a 5-minute brisk warmup walk (like there is on every other session), followed by alternatting 60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking, for a total of 20 minutes. However, it wasn't very clear, or we were overlooking the obvious, as to whether the 20 minutes included the 5-minute warmup walk as well, or if it was 20 minutes of 60/90, in addition to the 5-minute warmup walk.

How is that part supposed to be interpreted? The rest of the sessions are easy, but that first one is a bit confusing.

Thanks!

Replies

• jara04
    jara04 Posts: 10
    The warmup and the cooldown aren't part of the run/walk, so you should do 5 min brisk walk and then start with the corresponding day

Good running!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    For the couple weeks I did this, I had 5 min warm up and 20 min jog/walk. So my total was 25 minutes. Then again, I was outside and it was hard to find a path that lasted exactly that long, so I often jog/walked for 30-40 minutes on 'accident' (only cause I wasn't home yet!)

Either way you do it, 20 min, or 25, you will see improvements! Keep at it :happy: I LOVE running!
  • deboyd5004
    deboyd5004 Posts: 14 Member
    I just started this today myself. I went ahead and bought the $2.99 Iphone app for my Ipod because I thought it would be a pain trying to keep the time without it. The app has you do the 5 minutes separate from the 20 minute intervals. So in total you're really doing 30 minutes. I'm going to guess that's right.
  • I did C25K a while ago and found these podcasts really helpful:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html

The were made by a guy named Robert Ullrey, and he taped himself giving the instructions for each day of the C25K plan. It's really handy, especially if you're not really paying attention to your timing!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I am on week 7 and have been using the iPhone app which makes it so easy.
    It plays my music or audio book in the background and tells me when to walk/run so I don't have to look at my phone or watch to check the time.
    I has the 5 min warm up and cool down separate for each day so you are doing around 30 mins exercise each day, though this does go up a bit once you are running 25 mins non stop :)
This discussion has been closed.