Cupcakes that won't inspire guilt?

DancingFox
DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
edited September 25 in Recipes
I love cupcakes. Seriously, I could probably live on them (yes, terrible, I know)! Since joining MFP I've basically given them up because of calories, but I don't want to never have one of my favorite things in the world again...
So, does anyone have any cupcake recipes that won't fill me with guilt or eat up 50% of my calories and fat for the day? Fingers crossed in hope! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Go to Recipes and I think there are some in there. Hang in there.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    saw on hungry girl. Any package of brownie mix...and one can of canned pumpkin...nothing else. Put in muffin pan....cook. Look up the specifics on her site.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    the cook yourself thin site has a bunch of recipes for baked goods. www.cookyourselfthin.com
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    I did a box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin and baked in muffin tins...i think one is 185 calories. a bit high for a little cupcake (which came out like a muffin), but still good. I store them in the freezer and when I feel like I need one, I take it out, microwave for 30 seconds and I'm good to go. It came from Hungry Girl.
  • morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Look under the Recipe Board - 69 calorie cupcake. It's make with angel food cake mix and crushed pineapple. It sounded good but I haven't tried it yet.
  • DancingFox
    Thanks for the direction, everyone!! I know it probably won't happen, but I'm still on the search and hoping I'll stumble across a low-cal red velvet recipe! :tongue:
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    skinnytaste has some great ideas.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Diet Cherry 7-up and Sugar Free cakemix...

I did mine as mini cupcakes - and got 56 out of the batch, at 26 calories each. 6 carbs, 1 fat for each mini cupcake

Mix 12 oz Diet Cherry 7-up with 1 box sugar-free cake mix (I use Pillsbury). When mixing, I actually do more of a folding action - you just want the mix to be moist - overmixing will make the cupcakes dry - something with the carbonation and extra mixing breaks it down...

For the Mini's I baked on 325 for 12 minutes - you will need to adjust time based on what size you make.

Full recipe is 1440 calories, 348 carbs, 12 Protein, 42 Fat, 12 Fiber, 3405 Sodium. So you can decide how you want to break it down for yours. (using Pillsbury Sugar-Free yellow cake mix)
  • Michellef67
    Michellef67 Posts: 9 Member
    The pineapple angelfood cupcakes are awesome. You simply use a angelfood cake mix (the one that requires only water), in place of the water you mix in one 20 oz can of crushed pineapple. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Be sure to use the paper liners in the muffin tin. Also, place the batter in the refridgerator between batches, it seems to help them bake up better. Only 69 calories per cupcake and fat free. The nutritional values are already in the data base under "generic pineapple angel food cupcakes"

There was also a recipe recently for Blueberry-banana bread that I actually baked as muffins as well. I can get it for you if you would like.
  • DancingFox
    Thanks, everyone! I'll have to try some of these. :)
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    I haven't tried it yet because it seems to require a lot of ingredients, but Hungry Girl put out a red velvet recipe awhile back. You might want to check it out if you're really craving! Here's the link to the recipe http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/925
    Good luck and keep on losing!
  • DancingFox
    Wow!! 500 calories a cupcake?? My red velvet cupcakes that I make, normally, are only 410 each. That's crazy... I don't think I'll be making those ones, but thank you! There are other recipes on that site that are picking my interested, though! :)
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    No the site recipe is 134 calories. The regular she is comparing to is 500 calories. Scroll to the bottom.:wink:
  • skinnytaste has some great ideas.

I love love love the recipes on skinnytaste! I eat at least 3 of her recipes a week! :love:
  • The diet soda and cake mix cakes/cupcakes are AMAZING!
    There are endless possibilities and they are all so good.

My two favorites are diet orange soda and white cake mix
    Diet cherry dr. pepper and chocolate cake mix.

For icing, you could use a container of FF Coolwhip and mix it with a box of sf ff instant pudding with a few drops of vanilla. I love these and everyone always raves about them when I make them,
  • aubrm
    aubrm Posts: 3
    I just found this recipe through WW... looks delish!

http://www.laaloosh.com/2009/03/03/weight-watchers-red-velvet-cake-recipe/
  • gagster
    gagster Posts: 12
    Apricot Pecan Oatmeal Muffins Makes 12 muffins

1 cup quick cooking oats
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1 egg
    1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed

DIRECTIONS:

Place oats and buttermilk in a bowl. Stir to combine. Cover and let stand for 20-30 minutes. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in apricots and pecans. Add oil, egg and brown sugar to the oatmeal mixture and combine well. Pour the oatmeal mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just to moisten the dry ingredients. It will look lumpy. Divide batter into 12 greased muffin cups.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin tin and cool on a wire rack.

This is not cupcakes but I have made them several times and now I have to keep them in the freezer. lol I think they are awesome. Have shared recipe with many others and the feedback was really good. Hope you try them.

Got this from Dr. Oz's site. I figured out that it was 203-205 calories per muffin. Sorry the nutritional information was not listed.
    This recipe was courtesy of Marjorie Johnson. Her cookbook is ON THE ROAD TO BLUE RIBBON BAKING WITH MARJORIE.
This discussion has been closed.