p90x - really?

Options
So, I am out of shape (unless round is a shape). Started running again this week but today it was nasty snowing etc so I missed my run. After a dinner of tortellini and garlic bread (which is sitting in my stomach like a rock), I decided to finally try the p90x dvds that I've had for almost 2 months. I've been afraid to start them because I thought they would be too hard.

I popped in the first dvd, intending to do the chest workout. However, I don't have a pull up bar or resistance bands yet, so I skipped to plyometrics. HOLY MOTHER OF EVERYTHING. I made it through about 25 minutes. Legs feel like noodles and my stomach hurts - even though I waited like an hour and a half after dinner. AND I was doing the modified versions of the exercises too....

Feeling pretty disgusted with myself. How did I let myself get this out of shape? How hard is it going to be to get back to a shape I like? What are my chances of doing a half marathon this year? (It was my goal for last year but then I got married and went on a honeymoon...that kinda ruined my plan.)

Sometimes I feel like I should just give up. UGH!

Replies

• misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    P90X is the 3rd in the series.
    If you are in decent shape start with the p90 master series and complete that...it leads into P90X.
    P90X is meant to be a workout for people who are already very fit.
    If you are just starting out then start with P90--->P90 Master--->P90X.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    I felt the same way when I did P90X!!! It's an eye opener for real!!! But keep at it, I'm not going to say it gets easier but you will love the results if you stick with it and follow the nutrition plan.
    As far as the marathon, you can do anything as long as you set your mind to it.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!
  • Samueldeleon
    Samueldeleon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    P90x will kick your butt for the first week if you haven't worked out in a long time. I was sore for about 5 days after the first workout. But, it get easier as you go and really works if you stick with it...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    ok.... kudos on trying... but... "HOLY MOTHER OF EVERYTHING" cracked me UP!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad..when i first started p90x, i was about 185-ish, and that weight was so hard to jump, and keep up with..we did it for about a week or so, and i gave up..i have been doing EA Sports active 2 for the wii..if you have a wii, you can try that..the kit comes with the game, a arm and leg monitors, and resistance bands..it kicks your booty, but easier than p90x..best of luck, add me if you like :happy:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and it'll get better and better. :) Don't put it off just stick with it.
    You can do it.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    ok.... kudos on trying... but... "HOLY MOTHER OF EVERYTHING" cracked me UP!

likewise
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    yeah p90x is meant to be a struggle. It is an intensive program that is meant to get intense results be happy you got through 25 mins and hope for better next time you get 3 months you're not going to be perfect first time around.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The first week is pretty brutal coming from not doing much. I literally had to leave the room to go puke my first time doing plyo, first time doing chest and back was pretty close to that point. It didn't take too long to start getting back into it and being able to get through the whole thing at a slower pace/modified moves. Just keep at it and before you realize it you can get through the whole thing and it feels great.
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    My husband saw the P90x advertisment and was interested, so I looked it up. As I was looking over the program and looking at the before and after pictures, I began to think this was not the program we should be starting with. I then say Toni H had a P90. I looked over that program, and looked at the before and after pictures, this program looked more like what we should start with. So we are on week four of P90 phase 1-2 getting ready to more to phase 3-4 for the next 60 days. I definatly feel we made a good decision. My husband is still interested in P90x but after we are more in shape. I look at that as more of a " you are already somewhat in shape and want to get ripped" kind of a program.

You might want to consider getting p90 to start with. But whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!! It will get easier. Just do what you can for now, don't over do it to much or you will be to soar to keep going.
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You need to try a different one, I did Plyometrics today and I have done it 2 or 3 times already and it almost kills me everytime lol, you picked THE hardest one to start with. If you want an easier cardio one try CardioX and if you are looking for a upper body workout arms and shoulders is good. Just keep going, you'll get better.
  • reegordon
    reegordon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't you dare give up! I've done P90X before and about to start a second round of it. I remember thinking to myself when I first started, "what in the hell did I get myself into?" However, the more I did it, the more I liked it and the better I became at it. I completed it and had great results and so will you my friend!:wink:
  • slhall1002
    Options
    I tried it once too-and felt like i had been hit by a truck the next day. a friend of mine did the whole thing, but in the beginning she couldn't keep up, or do everything they were doing....she just kept going and eventually was doing all the dvds right on track. It's because of her I'm going to give it another shot! you should too!! :)
  • Blakes_Mommy
    Options
    I tried P90X and yes "HOLY MOTHER OF EVERYTHING" is right. I did about a week of it and was in so much pain it was unbareable. I watched the infomercial again and realized it really is for people who are already in great shape. If you want, keep going, but don't feel bad if you put in on the shelf and tackle it further down your journey to a healthier you.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    Wow....the "HOLY MOTHER OF EVERYTHING" comment had us rolling on the floor. Thanks for the laugh and great job.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement! I did not realize p90x was part of a series...I hear SO MUCH about it but nothing about the other ones. I actually got this from a friend. I might stick with the cardiox for a minute and strength training before I try the plyo again....
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Jumping straight into plyo... That's brave of you. P90X is a killer if you're not used to performing such activities, but if you keep doing it, your body should be able to adjust. The VERY first time I did it, it felt like it crippled me. :laugh:
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    I thought I was in pretty decent shape until I tried the plyo...talk about wanting to vomit! DON"T give up, it takes times to get back in shape and the first 6-8 weeks can be the worst! YES you can do a half marathon this year! Work on getting a base line cardio and then start training. You don't have to run the whole thing so don't let the distance intimidate you. Good luck!
  • tmorford
    tmorford Posts: 38
    Options
    Hey... you have done the hardest thing about any come-back... you started it!!! And to take on the P90X which is a killer workout.. very ambitious. Might want to work up to it.. I am not sure how far "out-of-shape" you think you are but know that you must have the heart and can-do attitude to get it done.. don't worry so much about anything other than the next accomplishment.. the next day of challenges (nutrition and exercise).. and make that happen.. THEN with enough of these successful days strung together you can start pushing for the marathons and the double-digit pullups and the 7:30 miles and the 1.5 hr workouts.. you can do it girl!!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ahahaha...i would settle for one pull up at this point :D