New to this and TIRED.

Options
Mrs2Mac
Mrs2Mac Posts: 16 Member
I'm new at healthy eating. My husband has decided to try Nutrisystem to help him lose 80 pounds so I decided to start eating better to support him (no one wants to diet when someones slamming down McDonalds in the same room!) and because I could stand to lose a few pounds and I'd like to get back in shape. I'm 5'4" and currently 124 pounds with a slim build. I've always eaten whatever I wanted so this change has been a bit difficult and to be honest depressing to go through. This site tells me I need to be eating 1200 calories which seems like sooo much food every day. Also - I'm having trouble getting enough calories (I'm usually about 200 under) but my protein is always over approx 10grams. I'm exhausted at the end of the day and have little to no energy to even think about working out. Is this normal - like some sort of adjustment phase or am I doing something really wrong? Also - when I start working out more - does that mean I need to eat even more??

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I normally am exhausted when I don't eat enough. If you are eating well under 1200 calories, this is most likely what is going on.

There is nothing wrong with going over on protein on this website since they have your protein goal exceptionally low anyway. I changed mine because the goal was way too low.

You can increase your calories simply by adding a snack or two...an average fruit has around 100 calories, and if you have it in yogurt or cottage cheese, that can add 50-100 calories more to the snack which would give you that 200 calories you are lacking. Experiment with new foods, as well. I adore having hummus and whole wheat crackers or hummus with carrots...and the amount that I eat is easily 150-250 calories, but very nutritious.
  • lionempress
    lionempress Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you exercise then you probably will want to eat a little more anyhow. What I do is try to find something I like to do that is active so I don't see it so much as a task. I like to dance, but have little time so I have some Zumba videos I pop in almost daily. Soon I will be thinking about how to add strength training to that. Although you are slim you should be weary of fat build up around organs that are more harmful than more visible fat. The best way to avoid this is by exercise.

Check this article out: http://www.medindia.net/news/Study-Highlights-How-Slim-Does-Not-Always-Mean-Healthy-71224-1.htm
    Don't mean to scare anyone or be a bummer, but just want to highlight the importance of exercise.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    from what i understand..seems like you are not eating enough to keep you body functioning. It may seem like a lot of foods but adding some higher calorie snacks like nuts or avocados may help. I try and eat every 2-3 hours that usually helps.
    Yes when you start working out you will need to eat back your work out calories, sometime maybe not all but def some! Also try adding some protein shakes in too.

Good luck to you :smile:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    And YES, when you workout more you need to eat more! Calculate how many calories you burn, then eat those back. If you burn 400 calories while exercising, then try to eat at least half of those back. Simply having a protein shake after your workout can easily do that for you.
  • Mrs2Mac
    Mrs2Mac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will definitely start adding more snacks into the mix and upping my calories a bit and hopefully I will see enough improvement that I can get in a workout without feeling like I'm walking in molasses! :yawn: