Confused about Calorie Intake

Options
I love the way this website is set up, and its so user friendly. But I get confused about my calorie intake with my exercise. Could someone please tell me how this works EXACTLY. What confuses me is when i see it say ..........finished under her calorie goal. Yet when I do this it tells me I'm consuming too little calories. (my eating combined with exercise)
Such as say I consumed 1600 calories, exercised 556, so my net is 1044, Yet my calorie goal is 1200 thats 156 under my goal of 1200.
Is this what I'm supposed to be doing??????? please help me and explain this, I DO NOT want to be eating too much, or too little!
Thanks All!:smile:

Replies

• HurricaneJulia
    Options
    I always wondered the same thing... And also why a goal of 1200 can be appropriate for every person, but I guess the site wouldn't be free if they had to work all that out for you.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You are going to get just about as many different answers as you will posters to this thread. :flowerforyou:

I used to use MFP exactly as stated and eat 1200 + all my exercise calories...

Until I figured out that no matter how much I burn in exercise according to MFP, I consistently lose weight and feel great eating between 1450-1575 calories per day and exercising as intensely as I can for 6 days a week.

Some would say that I am in fact eating 1200 + exercise calories. But a very knowledgable person on this website told me to not worry about all that and simply multiply my weight by between 8 and 12 calories to figure the total goal...which for me 138 times 11 = 1518 which is my "sweet spot" for weight loss along with cardio + weight training exercises.

And yup, it is working great.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    your goal changes as you exercise. you're after a "net" goal of 1200, which means you should be eating back your exercise calories. otherwise, you're not providing your body with enough fuel to repair the damage you make to muscles during work-outs.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Basically- the way it works is that MFP gives you how many calories you need to consume in order to lose X amount per week, with or without exercising. when you exercise you gain "extra calories" because it then changes your calorie intake goal to make it so you still lose X amount per week. So, say I need to eat 1250 per week to lose 2 lb per week, then exersise for 400 calories, i would then have to consume 1650 to lose 2 lb per week. You can chose if you want to eat back those calories or not- theres a ton of threads on it.

Long story short, if your calorie goal is 1200, and you ate 1600 then you ate 400 more than your goal. But, because you exercised 556, your net is still under your goal, so you will lose weight at a slightly faster rate then your X amount. If that makes any sense.

Hope that helped a little lol
  • bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    Dont' make it too complicated. It is an estimate, but if you shoot for 200 to 300 less than your total calorie goal (daily normal + exercise added in) you will lose fat. 1 to 3 punds a week usually.