Worried....

Options
Okay so me and my husband are both "dieting"...in 3 weeks I have lost 8.5 pounds and he has lost 16.5 pounds. So the worry part is...I always make sure I eat my calories...1490. I want to lose the weight slow...

But my husband barely eats a thousand calories a day and get works out at the gym for 2 hours 5 days a week.... so he is burning off a lot of those calories. I keep telling him that he needs to eat more but he just laughs at me...I jokingly told him he was becoming a manorexic . He thinks that is funny.

So how do get him to eat more. He says that he's not hungry...I told him that he is gonna hit a wall soon and no weight is going to come off due to him not eating enough.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Are you the one that cooks the meals in the house? Perhaps you could make the same meals, just a little extra for him. That way he thinks he is still eating less when he in fact is having more calories.

But yes, I think you do have a right to be worried here. Men typically need more calories that women in the first place, and if he's exercising that much then it's possible that his net calories are extremely low or even negative. He won't be able to keep that up long before he has mood swings and bouts of sleepiness and lethargy let alone other medical issues such as reduced cognition since the brain won't be getting enough fuel...

How long has this been going on? Is it something that you think he is going to be doing for a long time, because it might be either an eating and/or exercise disorder that needs help.
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    do a search on 'starvation' here on MFP. I read a really good story with a lot of info just a couple days ago. In fact i forwarded the link to my co-workers. This particular ariticle talked about the long term effects that she suffered from an extended low calorie diet.

Good luck,
    scott
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do the cooking...and I am the calorie counter at dinner time. Yesterday and today I did start to where I was telling him fewer calories then what I was actually giving him.

It has been going on for 3 weeks now...he went to the doctor and found out he was pre-diabetic...so he is now on this excerise kick to lose the weight fast. I keep telling him that more than likely he will end up gaining a lot of this back. I know I do if I ever lose weight too fast.

And he thinks that as long as he takes a multi vitamin and drinks protein shakes he will be fine. Also he already has to take Ambien to sleep even then he doesn't sleep much. (sleeping problem is from falling 15 foot through a sky light...he hit his head pretty hard)

And trust me with his just he needs all the brain energy he can get....mechanical engineer...he has to think all day.
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as he's eating protein shakes, and getting the protein he needs, a low calorie diet is ok for shortened periods (a month or so) But, he has to be careful because losing weight too fast can cause gall stones and other medical issues.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If he was diagnosed as pre diabetic the doctor should have also sent him to a dietician to learn how to regulate his body thru his diet. You can be skinny as a rail and still have diabetes. It can be WORSE on a diabetic body to eat less than they should. Do some research on the diabetic diet plans and show him the suggested amounts and food types. Change what you can when cooking, and properly portion them out. If he is like my guy (stubborn), it may take an epic fail for him to see reason and make the change. Don't nag him about it, it just tends to piss them off and "dig in". You can lead a horse to water.....

Good Luck