if i eat my exercise calories is it still 'starvation mode'?

Options
so i've been using MFP for 1.5 months and have not been losing weight superfast, but losing none the less. i started with 1200 a day then cut down to 1000, but am now back up to 1100.
the thing is i exercise every day, and eat my exercise calories, so i never eat less than at least 1300 cals up to 1600 in terms of food. but of course the exercise balances net cals out to 1100.
is this still starvation mode? i feel satisfied by the amount of food i eat, I'm not hungry. I'm quite afraid of starvation mode although i dont know what it is!

Replies

• Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is when you restrict your calories so much, that your body thinks it is going to starve, and therefore begins to shut down on you. When this happens, your body holds onto calories, body fat, etc. thinking it "needs" it because it is "starving". So, to keep this from happening, you have to eat enough calories for your body to function. [This is why it asks you if you have a desk job, if you are on your feet all day, etc. MFP is trying to figure out what the basic # of calories you burn each day is.] It then averages out a calorie deficit for you based on your weight loss goal. If your goal is to lose one pound [3500 calories] per week, it will take the calories it estimates you need daily - minus 500 calories- and that's what it gives you as a guide to eat each day.

It's not exact science, though, bc we all are a little different. You just want to make sure you are eating enough for your body to function properly. If you find yourself fatigued, unable to function and/or workout, you may want to check your calorie intake AND the value of the calories you eat [i.e., oreos vs. tuna, chicken, salad, etc.]

Hope this helps.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree. I say, if you feel satisfied and aren't experiencing debilitating symptoms (fatigue, fugue, heart palpitations, lethargy, etc), you're probably okay. If you're really concerned about it, I'd get a physical from a doctor. If they say everything's functioning okay, then you're probably fine.