It's Hard to Stay on track when you work nights!

Options
I dont understand how it can be the same for dayshifters and nightshifters when the night shift people's metabolism isnt the same...HELP!!

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I know when I worked nights, I just gained weight slowly - mind you my eating habits were not as clean as they are now... Exercising wasn't as much either... I am not sure what the balance is, but I can tell you that I scrambled for a day job as I'm definitely not made to work nights! I really feel for you... Maybe talking to a nutritionist would help?
  • jannabradley0224
    Options
    Why do you feel as if it is hard to stay on track? I work overnight and think my metabolism would be the same.
  • MsMe79
    MsMe79 Posts: 54
    Options
    Hmmm I don't know, I actually found when I did shift work and worked nightshift that I ate less and hardly ate during the day due to my horrible sleeping pattern... saying that however I did drink a lot of coffee which isn't good for you in the quantities I was drinking it.

I don't know the answer or the science behind it.... I'm guessing our bodies are different at night, would be interested to find out what the deal is though.
  • secret76
    secret76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find the balance as well. I am excercising 3 times a week. I have literally stopped all snacks like soda, chips, & candy & the list can go on. I am gaining weight instead of loosing and I want to shed this excess fat.
  • jcnurse
    jcnurse Posts: 16
    Options
    I am also a night shift worker and I do think that my metabolism is slowed due to my carzy sleep and eat cycle. I try to be keep it as scheduled as possible and that has helped alot.
  • mrb3737
    mrb3737 Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel the same way. As a night worker, I don't really know if I'm coming or going. When is breakfast? When I wake up at 4pm or is it still 6am before I goto bed? Is it wrong to wake up and have "Dinner" with the family, or should I wake up and eat a more breakfast type meal? I find myself varying on all these decisions even after working midnights for 10 years straight now. I must say that since I started excercising, my metabolism is moving again and I try to eat many mini meals while working. I try a meal bar, or half a sandwich every other hour. So far its been working for me. The hardest thing about working this shift is finding a place open to get something half way healthy. Best of luck to ya.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard. 5 days a week. have had the same work sechdule long before I started on my weight loss. have it as of now. I don't find it hard.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have been working nights for over two years now. In the past year, I have dropped 50lbs. The hardest part for me is getting the workouts in. I eat most of my meals at work and then nibble here and there through out the rest of my day. Being a single mom, I do not sleep 8 hours straight. I sleep 4, pick my daughter up from school and take her to dance, then sleep 4 more hours. I am sure my metabolism could be faster, but I think it has more to do with the lack of sleep as opposed to the time of day that I am sleeping.

Typical day:

8pm - Dinner
    2am - Lunch
    6am - Breakfast

I try to do my work out when I get home at 8am. It is hard to get into a consistant rhythym though.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I work rotating shifts. The only problem I have is due to my 12 hour shifts, I only get about 6 hours of sleep.
  • KayleesTryin
    KayleesTryin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat right now. In fact, I just recently joined MFP to try to get me back on track... I work 10pm to 6am, get home at 615, my husband leaves for work by 630. We have a 22 month old at home so I nap for 2 hours before she gets up then I nap for 2 more hours during her naptime, then I get to sleep for 3 more hours after my husband gets home. Then I get up and do it all over again.

I think I am slowly dying:tongue:

The hardest part for me is that there are sooo many fast food places on my way to work! And I have horrible willpower... I must say though, keeping track of my calories has really opened my eyes and I am starting to make more conscious food choices. I love that MFP has an app on the droid so I can put everything in right away. I am starting to hold myself more accountable. Exercise is a tough one as well. If it comes down to sleep or working out, I choose sleep everytime and I really need to break myself of that habit. I know that if I exercise more then I won't need as much sleep. (In theory:happy: )

I guess I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to commiserate with you!
  • chelmstadter
    Options
    I work at the hospital in 12 hr shifts, I am not sure about everyone else but at the nurses station there are almost ALWAYS snacks!! Not the good kind either! lol will power is a problem for me but I think the biggest problem is like what I've heard others say....What is breakfast, lunch an dinner exactly and finding the TIME to workout!! What is a good workout plan?
  • jcnurse
    jcnurse Posts: 16
    Options
    I get of work at 7a, go home and sleep for 6 hours then get up, eat a protein bar then hit the gym at about 5p, after that I eat my lunch then it's off to work. I try to work out at least 5 days in a week, some days I'm just to tired but I will at least walk.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    My sister got really thin, and grey haired working nights (for 10 years). She didn't have the time or energy to eat properly. Apparently at the BBC (where my sister was) most people who work night shifts their whole working life don't live to make retirement. It is really bad for your health.
  • chelmstadter
    Options
    UGH!! OMG THAT FREAKS ME OUT!! I've been looking for a day position and I will definately strive to accomplish that goal! lol But in the meantime I will do the workouts and try the protein bars thanks for the advise
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I worked nights for years. It is easy when you accept the fact you are working nights. You wake up in the evening, it's breakfast time, you have breakfast, you buy or take a lunch to work the same as you would in the day, it's YOUR lunch time, you come home from work and you have a dinner as it's your dinner time. Don't go straight to bed, unwind a little bit, do some exercise or whatever it is day people do when they get home from work. People who work the ordinary day 9-5 don't come in and go straight to bed so don't you do it. I found it so much easier to be good on night shift. My downfall is takeaways and you can't get a takeaway at 8am *lol*

On weekends i'd finish work friday or saturday morning and i'd stay up till friday or saturday night (i quite often did 6 nights a week) then get up sunday morning as normal and just have an afternoon nap before sunday night shift. Granted the food can be awkward that day.
  • rivera_72084
    Options
    Yea that freaks me out also (fteale comment)...Im curious to know if there is a huge difference. Ive Never counted calories and/or worked out in my life but recently have started. Is it that much different? I just treat myself as If I was getting up for the morning..But I agree chelmstadter, Those snacks at the nursing station are calories just waiting to be added into MFP! I say my lil prayer
    "God please lead me not into temptation" and It works for me everytime! ;0)
  • chelmstadter
    Options
    I'm gonna have to just keep telling myself "it's a lifestyle change" just like you rivera, I know I can do this and when I get into a routine it will be easier as I go!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I worked afternoons for about 9 months, and I thought I was gonna die! My hat is off to anyone who works night shift. Thanks for all you do! :flowerforyou:

The only suggestion I have is to pack your own food and eat only what your bring. Make sure it includes one great meal and two small, delicious snacks. Don't forget to pack your water so you're not tempted by the soda machines. You can have one meal before you get to work, and one when you get off work. If you're moving, it should work out fine.
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to do 6, 12 hour night shifts. I'd get my *kitten* down the gym before a night shift (before 7pm) and if I was up to it, I'd hit it again at 7am after. Rinse and repeat.

If you want something enough, nothing will stop you.
  • chelmstadter
    Options
    yep yep
    I'm gonna have to just keep telling myself "it's a lifestyle change" just like you rivera, I know I can do this and when I get into a routine it will be easier as I go!