BMI Scales

debbiequack
debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone have one? I bought a scale with one and I can't tell if it's very accurate. I would *think* my BMI would be changing more than it is...

Debbie

Replies

• there are free scales online, I just type in BMI caculator and several come up!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Unless you're very overweight, it's normal to find your BMI change to be slow ^^
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Scales that tell you BMI or body fat are generlly off by alot. Go by Body Fat vs BMI. It needs to be tested by a professional.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I have the WeightWatchers ones that read out bmi and body fat.

I've been very encouraged by the bmi figures coming down (it's only using the same formula as an online calculator, isn't it? It knows my age, sex and height).

My body fat % concerns me, and I've just posted a question about that elsewhere.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Surely BMI scales (at least the ones I've used) are accurate, because you input your height yourself, and then it weighs you and simply does the BMI calculation for you. Or rather, they're as accurate as the scale weighing you - if it's weighing you up/down a lb or two then it's not going to be entirely accurate, but just as accurate as if you'd taken that number and calculated the BMI using the formula.

I have scales that do my body fat, but I'm more into reading the incremental change than the actual figure (otherwise I'd be hanging myself because it's telling me I'm fatter than when I started exercising last year and did a body fat test on the gym's handheld fat monitor!) When I get close to goal I think I'll have one of those flotation-type tests done :D
  • debbiequack
    This scale claims (and it got good feedback on amazon) to do more-- supposedly (I'm not going to get this right) it sends a small current up through your body and the current travels at different speeds or something, depending on whether it's going through fat or muscle. I'm really being rough, in how I say this-- but I was wondering if others had THIS type of scale.

Thanks!
  • melaniecheeks
    Can you tell us its make, or any other details?
  • debbiequack
    I sure can! It's an Omron HBF-400 and it's reasonably priced on amazon.com with decent reviews.

It claims to do this:

What is the Bioelectrical Impedance Method?
    Bioelectrical Impedance (BI) is considered one of the most accurate and accessible methods of screening body fat. Muscles, blood vessels and bones are body tissues having a high water content that conduct electricity easily. Body fat is tissue that has little electric conductivity. The monitor sends an extremely weak electrical current through your body to determine the amount of fat tissue. The weak electrical current is not felt while operating the Body Fat Analyzer. The monitor is calculated by a formula that includes five factors; electric resistance, height, weight, age and gender.

Debbie
  • melaniecheeks
    Mine isnt the same model, but it works the same way, and measures the same things.

As I said, I can see my bmi coming down - 26.6 this morning which considering it was over 30 last year is fantastic!

And I always note my water % - try to keep it in the high 40s.

I have just started monitoring my body fat % - it's in the low 30s which I know is too high, so I'm going to focus on bringing that down to 20 something. Even if it's not a very accurate number, I figure using the same scale each time I should at least be able to track progress.
  • debbiequack
    Ahh nice to know someone else uses this. The BMI comes down much more slowly than the weight, as you know. I started out as a whopping 33 something a few years ago and today was 30.8.

Take care,

Debbie
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    BMI, how I hate those 3 letters and they are probably one of the worst means of accurately measuring ones health. Its worst than one of those scales that I call the greasy car salesman of the weight loss world. BMI takes nothing into account for muscle mass or bodyfat, so its a piss poor model to use.
  • debbiequack
    Hmmm. Well what do you use? I agree it's not necessarily a good measure of "health"-- but I think it's a better measure than weight, if you are working out and increasing muscle mass.

Debbie
  • melaniecheeks
    Agreed - it's not perfect, and I wouldn't use it in isolation, but it's one of a set of measurements that I keep track of.

You'll be under 30 soon, Debbie!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    BMI was never meant to apply to individuals as it does not distinguish lean mass from fat. It was developed to track trends in large populations.

So I wouldn't get too worked up over your BMI if you can help it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    I sure can! It's an Omron HBF-400 and it's reasonably priced on amazon.com with decent reviews.

It claims to do this:

What is the Bioelectrical Impedance Method?
    Bioelectrical Impedance (BI) is considered one of the most accurate and accessible methods of screening body fat. Muscles, blood vessels and bones are body tissues having a high water content that conduct electricity easily. Body fat is tissue that has little electric conductivity. The monitor sends an extremely weak electrical current through your body to determine the amount of fat tissue. The weak electrical current is not felt while operating the Body Fat Analyzer. The monitor is calculated by a formula that includes five factors; electric resistance, height, weight, age and gender.

Debbie

This isn't BMI it's an estimate of Body Fat %. First things first, in order for measurements to be accurate to compare to each other, you have to weigh at the same time of day in similar clothing (or preferably naked since you are doing it at home) and during the same time of the month (not during your period!), and with similar water levels. If any of those things are off, then you will get a reading that isn't accurate in comparison to the previous reading. Second, if you are doing all those things to make it an accurate reading to compare with a previous reading and you are seeing big drops on the scale and not in the body fat %, then you are losing muscle and not as much fat. My suggestion would be to increase your resistance training to prevent some of the muscle loss.
This discussion has been closed.