To many people concerned with accuracy of everything

Options
2»

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    There was a post last week that said,if you use an hrm or machine that you are not really getting accurate calorie counts.Now I dont agree i use them both and take the average.I dont think you can ever get a total accurate count so there for I use common sence.being close is ok with me'I'm not obssesed with total accuracy
  • emmascott
    emmascott Posts: 249
    Options
    Lol lol, I can see all sides here, but I am such a list and numbers freak that I'm afraid I'll never change.

Off to write some more lists about some lists I need to write.

Xxx
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    There is an awesome post here about HRM and how they aren't any more accurate than the guestimations or what the machine churns out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I think it's all about being honest with yourself and cutting yourself some slack from time to time.

If you become a perfectionist about this, that's going to cause stress which will make it harder to drop the weight.

Thanks for this topic!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    For some of us, accuracy really matters. The closer I get to my goal, the more my body wants to hang onto its remaining weight, and accurate measures of calories in/calories burned become more critical than they were when I was 40 lb overweight.

There's really no reason to dump on other people who are just trying to hit their goal and need an accurate tool to do it.

Dumping on people that want to be accurate ? no way . Im simply saying ( mostly for the benefit of those that get discouraged easily , Like myself) accuracy doesn't really matter as much as staying motivated to keep going. I was basically passing on what I learned, that worked to keep me motivated to get up every morning and keep doing what I did.

Fair enough. We all have to find what works for us.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Well I'm gonna have to disagree, I have been going by what MFP says I burned since I started, but I wanted some accuracy I don't wanna have to guesstimate my calories if I don't have too. I just recently purchased a HRM for this reason and I thought about how disappointed I would be if I wasn't burning as many calories as I thought I was, but decided if that was case I will just have to work that much harder.

I used that HRM for the first time yesterday ,and come to find out all this time I have been grossly underestimating the calories I was burning needless to say I was excited to see all the effort I put in to my workout was truly paying off.
  • heidiberr
    Options
    As the previous post I put, HRM only track your heart rate which is not ness. the determining factor of how many calories you burn. Check out the link from my earlier post--it sheds some light on HRM.

They can be great tool, but they are not a perfect solution to knowing exactly how many calories are burned per exercise session.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    As the previous post I put, HRM only track your heart rate which is not ness. the determining factor of how many calories you burn. Check out the link from my earlier post--it sheds some light on HRM.

They can be great tool, but they are not a perfect solution to knowing exactly how many calories are burned per exercise session.

Did you read the whole article because I pulled the following from the bottom? So I'm not seeing where it sates they don't work?

Even if you have purchased a quality HRM, the readings will only be as good as your setup information. An accurate estimation of caloric expenditure requires the following input:

Resting heart rate (HR rest)

Maximum heart rate (HR max)

VO2 max

Weight

Not only must this data be accurate when you set up the HRM, it must be updated as well if your fitness level increases or if your weight decreases.
  • heidiberr
    Options

Did you read the whole article because I pulled the following from the bottom? So I'm not seeing where it sates they don't work?

Even if you have purchased a quality HRM, the readings will only be as good as your setup information. An accurate estimation of caloric expenditure requires the following input:

Resting heart rate (HR rest)

Maximum heart rate (HR max)

VO2 max

Weight

Not only must this data be accurate when you set up the HRM, it must be updated as well if your fitness level increases or if your weight decreases.

It also states: So, it must be emphasized again: HRMs calorie counts are only accurate when there is a consistent and measurable relationship between heart rate and oxygen uptake. That means exercises and exercise movements that are aerobic in nature and that are performed at intensities between 40% of VO2 max and the lactate threshold

There are a number of conditions under which heart rate can increase, but without an increase in oxygen uptake:

-Stress, Illness

-Dehydration

-Environment (high heat and humidity)

-Heavy strength training (HR increases because of increased pressure)

-Changes in posture

-Cardiovascular drift during extended aerobic exercise

In other conditions--arm work, overhead work, "anaerobic" or sprint exercise--an HR increase will reflect in increase in VO2, but it is not a consistently measurable and reproducible relationship, therefore the HRM calorie count is not as accurate.

I'm not saying they don't work--I'm just saying that they aren't perfect.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    Well I'll agree with that nothing works flawlessly.:wink:
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I agree 110% man! People put way to much in the numbers! Eat right, go hard in the gym and you will see results! Stop worrying about every little detail.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    For me, keeping detailed records and actually graphing my anticipated and actual progress is what keeps me from giving up. When I guessed at serving sizes and when I used the 'average' calculations of the machines/mfp, I didn't lose. Now that I'm tightly controlling my food and using a FitBit to know exactly how much I burn, I am losing. And because I tend to go weeks without anything happening, being able to look at a graph and see that I really AM progressing over the long term, helps me stick to it.

So I need the accuracy. Possibly other people don't. Whatever works for you, works.