Stupid Plateau

Options
So I have been trying to lose weight, and am down ~5lb so far. However, I have been stuck at 167.3 for a week. I began the C25k program on Monday, and am sore today, so I am assuming that is why I am weighing in at 167.8 today. I am just getting so frustrated, not able to move the scale.

I try to keep my sodium under control, and have gone over a few times over the last week, but I drink 4-5 bottles of water a day.

A whole week! I am working out with my aunt (professional trainer) and running tonight. I am getting fitted for better running shoes this weekend. I need to see something.

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    up your cals some..i was going thru the same thing, and i upped my cals by 275, and i was seeing more smaller changes, but it was going down..best of luck
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A week is no big deal if it last more then 3 then you need to reevaluate your fitness and diet program:bigsmile:
  • JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have been stuck for a week and it is frustrating but i know that if i am being true to myself and not sneaking the odd little snack here and there i will see a result. If you are exercising then you are turning fat into lean muscle and that weighs more anyway. Plus the body goes up and down in water weight. Don't get so fixed on the scales and go by how you are feeling and how your clothes fit. Take care.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    4-5 botlles at what size...are you gettting in 100 oz...esp on days that you go over on your sodium...and if you are gaining muscle then you might plateau for a week or 2 and then you should see a loss on the scale once you start burning fat again...muscle requires more calories than fat...so they will be burning cals to exist...and depending on your caloric intake you might need to increase it a lil...though not sure cause I dont know your goals!!!
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    A true plateau isn't until about week 3. It didn't take you a week to gain all that weight, so it's not going to take a week to lose it. Keep your chin up, mix up your workouts, eat right, and you'll be fine! Look at inches you're losing too, not just the scale. The scale is the worst thing to actually go by, unless you are severely overweight.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    A week isn't considered a plateau. Give it time. If after another 2 weeks you are still stuck then change up your fitness routine or calorie intake. Weight takes time to come off, especially when you are just getting started. Hang in there :)
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    A week is not a plateau.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Give c25k a couple more weeks, and I think you will see the numbers dropping. I had hit a 3 month plateau before I started c25k and that helped kick start the next 45 pounds for me. Stick with it, check your food diary to make sure you are getting all the essentials and know you can do this!
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    I have the same problem. On Sunday my trainer told me to throw out the scale so I did (not literally, it's well hidden). My goal is to listen to my body for the next 2 weeks and let that tell me how I feel as opposed to a number on a scale. We'll see how I do with that, every morning I hear the call of the scale :smile:

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, have faith, you're body will catch up with your motivation sooner or later. The main thing is you are healthy and strong.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It may not be a plateau but it sure feels like it. I am 5', 167.8 today. I am averaging 4-5 16.9 oz bottles of water. My goal is 1450 calories, but usually end up at about 1200-1300.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    A week is no big deal if it last more then 3 then you need to reevaluate your fitness and diet program:bigsmile:

I totally agree with this. A week isn't anything to worry about. Your body is trying to adjust to this new lifestyle and sometimes it resists. Put your scale away and that way you won't stress about the number and be able to concentrate more on your work outs and how you are feeling.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    It may not be a plateau but it sure feels like it. I am 5', 167.8 today. I am averaging 4-5 16.9 oz bottles of water. My goal is 1450 calories, but usually end up at about 1200-1300.

then this is your problem. Eat 1450 calories NET. don't be afraid, try it for a few weeks.
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    I need to start measuring. I've never measured. How often do I do this?

I'm really not working out all that much until now. Before Monday, I was working out only on Wednesdays with my aunt.

I made my food journal public.
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    What and when does everyone measure? Arms, thighs, stomach? How often?
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Defintely eat as close 2 your goal as possible and even over by a few cals on some days of the week...Thats the reason I had my hubby hide the scale from me...so Im not so obsessed with it!!!
  • MamaLeague
    Options
    I go over by a decent amount at least once a week, this I know for sure.