This is depressing

Options
I was messing around with the BMI calculator today and discovered some not so good news. My goal was to get down to 180, (haven't been there since middle school). I was trying to figure out how much I needed to lose in order to get my BMI in the overweight category instead of the obese....well guess what - I have to get to 185 just to get to the overweight category. That totally sucks big harry monkey toes. Lets just say I was not ENCOURAGED this morning.

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    That's OK. Set it as your long term goal. Start with some short term goals, they'll help you feel more encouraged! Good Luck! Don't give up!
  • bjlowe
    bjlowe Posts: 2
    Options
    Many things can be discouraging when we try to diet. Instead of feeling down or depressed, just think: Going to the gym and getting your body moving creates a lot of serotonin in your brain. This and other hormones that are released after working out will physically put you in a happier and better mood!

I have found it very encouraging to work out in the morning, before you start your day. This way, you do not spend your entire day dreading going to the gym, and instead start your day with a good flow of hormones and energy!

Just keep trying, and find out what works for you! :-)
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    BMI isn't that accurate, especially for guys. Don't be discouraged!
  • deepmidnyght
    deepmidnyght Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    BMI's are not an exact science. I think that if you are healthy at 180 and happy that way not to worry about a BMI. Truthfully it varies per person. You should just focus on the fact that you have lost weigh and the amount you will have lost to get to 180. That is an accomplishment. Screw the BMI.
  • Volforlife83
    Volforlife83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try and stay positive! I know it's hard :( This morning I found a picture of me when I was five months pregnant with my second child and I was actually skinnier then than I am now. That totally sucks! Oh well, just use it as motivation and know that you CAN reach your goals and imagine how good it will feel when you do. Keep your head up!!!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, that happened to me a few months ago, when I realized my goal weight was still higher than my alloted BMI.

Take it one day at a time.

Goodluck
  • whoisgoingtosaveher
    Options
    Its alright thats what we are all here for to motivate each other and get eah other on the track to the body we want!!
    Any encouragement you need, advice or just general natter then feel free to add!! :)
    Good luck on your journey. Xx
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    i think you should focus on reaching your goal weight of 180 first. Once you get to that bridge, you can set a new goal. My goal is 160 which i cant ever remember weighing. According to my BMI it says i am overweight, my attitude is simply that i will be healthier than i have ever been, and for now i am okay with that. Besides we all have different body types, some are heavier than others naturally, in those cases, the BMI calculation may be slightly off cos it doesnt take all the factors into consideration. That is my honest opinion

YOU CAN DO THIS
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Meh, BMI isn't all it's cracked up to be. Body fat percentage is much more important in determining obesity. Work on strength exercises to build up your muscle, and just get to a weight where you feel comfortable in your skin. Don't worry so much about BMI. It's often inaccurate.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have to get to 195 just to be not obese. But after being MORBIDLY Obese for a while now - I'll be ecstatic to be just overweight! LOL. Keep your chin up - you will get there. Dont' let the BMI chart get you down!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    First of all... I hate hate hate trying to conform to what a scientists scale thinks is the "norm" for MOST americans. I'm only 5'2 and when I weigh 145lbs, (overweight to "their" calculations), I've only got 7-9% body fat! There's NO WAY that I'm overweight at a size 6 with that percentage. *OF COURSE THAT'S NOT WHAT I AM AT NOW* LOL!!! The scale is just an average of people, but some people (like you and me) just may not fit in to this category. Which just means we're kick *kitten* and awesome!!! : ) Keep your head up and if you're eating right, working out, feeling good when you get in to those old pants that you used to wear and are now "new" again.... who cares what that BMI B.S. says! Chin up! Know that you have great support here at MFP! ; )
  • DaveNix
    DaveNix Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's the whole glass half full/empty question.

Do you look at the mountain in front of you, or do you look at the 10 lbs you've dropped already?

Personally, I look at the 11 pounds I've dropped since the beginning of the year and realize that if I *only* lose a pound a week, I should be close to my goal by the end of the year. The same goes for you at a very achievable pound and a half a week.

I don't know about you, but the last time I was in the 190s... I looked pretty good, and felt great. It didn't matter if some BMI chart said I was still "overweight", it was about feeling healthy and attractive.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Yes, they've changed the categories, I am considered Obese for my height and weight. When I tell people I need to lose weight they look at me and say "where" and "who says". My doctor told me that I need to be at 140, I say 135, I am about 40 lbs overweight, fortunately for me I look about 20 lbs less than I am.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I HATE those "big harry monkey toes"!!! :explode: It's all about feeling your best- whatever that number is. Why is it that we (yes, I DO include myself) get SO freaking caught up in the numbers??!! When I talked to my doctor about the BMI numbers (that I found online) he was NOT thrilled with what it said for me. He said that most of them were so outdated and that they were not accurate-

Don't let it get you down, you're doing terrific.
    Best of luck to you in the rest of your journey!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    When I started this site, I did my BMI, and all this time I thought I was a lil overweight, come to find out I was OBESE!! Imagine my surprise and disappointment!!! Being 6' tall, weight sits differently on me, so I never really considered myself obese at all!!
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My BMI says I should be btw 85.5 and 119. My goal is me still being overweight and I'm fine with that. Don't sweat it.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling all to well. Last year, dr. weighed me at 156lbs which put me a couple of steps from the obese category and as if that wasn't enough, bmi was 35.6! I went home thinking "D@#$! I thought I was just overweight but now my @ss is 36% butter!!!" I went home, did a crash diet and gained 15 more lbs...eventually, I came across MFP. I seem to be running into a little road block right now, but I set a goal of only 20lbs for now and then I'll go for 20 more. I've been on the site since Jan. 2011, lost 10lbs so far, but my wgt. fluctuates like crazy, but all in all, MFP has been such a great tool with the support, encouragement, and yes - humor, that I can't see myself quitting ever again. I just want to tell you that you have made a great decision in coming to this site because you will love every minute of it - even when things aren't going so great. Someone will always be there to vent to, give some good advise, or whatever you may be dealing with, you'll know that you aren't alone in this...welcome and much success on your journey...you will find many friends!:angry::cry: :sad: :grumble: :happy:
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Meh, BMI isn't all it's cracked up to be. Body fat percentage is much more important in determining obesity. Work on strength exercises to build up your muscle, and just get to a weight where you feel comfortable in your skin. Don't worry so much about BMI. It's often inaccurate.

Exactly right. A lot of football players and wrestlers are in the "overweight" to even "obese" BMI category but they have low body fat percentages and are perfectly healthy. Don't get discouraged... one step at a time.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    BMI sucks. I'd have to lose another 20lbs to be on the low end of it, but I'm at 22% body fat and the fittest I've been since I had kids. It feels great to be in the best shape of my life at 40 - but my BMI is still barely in the middle of the scale and still on the higher end. I went from a size 12/14 to a size 0 - I'd just by sizes, measurements and body fat over BMI.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other folks saying that the BMI is a very questionable number at best. Much depends on body type, amount of muscle, bone density, etc. Much better to look for good ratios of waist to chest (the v-shape for us guys), an under 40 in waist line, and good fitness. Some folks can be super fit, run mile after mile and still be that slightly rounded shape. No need to obsess over some arbitrary number. You are doing all the right things, you are exercising and eating well. The rest will take care of itself.