Hard Time with "Net Calories"

Options
Can someone please explain the concept of 'net calories' to me? I am doing great at eating 1,200 cal a day, however, I am also excercising alot. This site tells me I am not getting enough, that I need to eat more because of the exercise I am doing. Psychologically , I cannot do this. I seem to be losing steady weight, but I do not want to slip into starvation mode either. Any advice welcome.

Replies

• teacher3506
    teacher3506 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain the concept of 'net calories' to me? I am doing great at eating 1,200 cal a day, however, I am also excercising alot. This site tells me I am not getting enough, that I need to eat more because of the exercise I am doing. Psychologically , I cannot do this. I seem to be losing steady weight, but I do not want to slip into starvation mode either. Any advice welcome.
  • teacher3506
    Options
    I should have read some other posts first...I think someone else has covered this :blushing:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    just try it and trust it. Eating my excercise calories was the best thing I ever did! I'm losing so much more quickly since I started doing it. MFP already calculates your deficit so you dont need to create one by excercising. in fact, doing so will make your deficit dangerously large. good luck and welcome
  • Jezika
    Jezika Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you do need to eat your exercise calories. Your body could slip into starvation mode by not getting enough. if you click under "My Home" tab and then goals it will tell you what your "Calories Burned" are and your "net calories"(intake) and what the deficit is.
    Even with eating the extra calories, your metabolism will be revved up from exercising and still getting the needed fuel, with the deficit, it will promote your weight loss!!!

So, good luck with that!
  • teacher3506
    Options
    Should I be eating the exercise calories before or after I work out - or does it matter?

And thanks for the advice.

Wendy
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter--I plan my food dairy out in the morning, including exercise, so I can get in my calories as close as possible.