Dukan diet help

Options
Hi All, I've been with MFP since December, and while I have managed to keep some weight off (which is awesome), it is slowly creeping back up on me (not so awesome). So with my wedding only 3 months away, I need to lose some 10-12 pounds, which I think is doable. It's time I get back on track.

Now, since I'm not the greatest at counting calories all day long, I was wondering if the Dukan Diet could be of help. So I have two questions for those of you on it right now:

1) How can I get plan information? The book doesn't come out here in the States (according to Barnes and Noble), until next month! I was hoping to get started on it now.........anyone know where I can get more info without having to wait for the book to become available??

2) Is this a good diet if you only want to lose some 10-12 pounds?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Earlgreygirl

Replies

• LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    google cause I read a huge article about it yesterday. DOn't quote me but I think week one is non fatty meats (turkey no skin, lean chicken) and water. Week two you can add in veggies, week three you can have 2 slice of bread and fruit, and week 4 you can eat whatever you want as long as you go back to week one plan one time a week. Obviously you want better details but hope this helps.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have done some research on the Dukan Diet and everything I've read really warns against it. They say that you can lose weight on it, but it's not a sustainable weight loss and that it is REALLY hard on your kidneys. Most of these types of diets seem good and offer great things up front, but they are worse for your health long term.

I am not even close to being an expert, but almost everything I've read concerning this diet really advises against it.
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have done some research on the Dukan Diet and everything I've read really warns against it. They say that you can lose weight on it, but it's not a sustainable weight loss and that it is REALLY hard on your kidneys. Most of these types of diets seem good and offer great things up front, but they are worse for your health long term.

I am not even close to being an expert, but almost everything I've read concerning this diet really advises against it.

Heyyy I am no expert either... but Atkins had the same controversy surrounding it. This diet is really only for about 3 weeks, cause week 4 you can eat anythign you want as long as 1 day a week you eat like its week 1. 1 day of eating nothing but protein can't be that bad for your body I don't think. I think it would only be bad if you tried staying on the week1 plan for more than 1 week. thoughts?
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    http://royalwedding.yahoo.com/blogs/is-kate-on-a-controversial-diet-frances-dukan-diet-linked-to-middleton-family-1534

I'm not into all the Royal Wedding hype, but this is just one link concerning the diet. You can read it and make your own decisions from there! (Which is all we can really ever do anyway!) :)

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I tend to stay away from any "radical" diet. Mostly because I could never stick to it, and I would REALLY be concerned about the weight coming roaring back with a passion once I started eating normally again. I don't think it's realistic to cut things completely out or focus on just one food group. Everything usually works together in a beautiful balance! But, hey, that's just me!! :)
    Also, I don't drop weight quickly so one of these "get skinny quick" schemes would be unlikely to work. If it's only a one month process, I wouldn't see any results. That's just how my body works.

Good luck! As with any new program, I would research, research, research and even ask your doctor!
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    I got a copy of the Dukan Diet book on March 30th through Amazon Vine.

Phase 1 is the strictest, where you eat pure lean protein with 1 oat bran galette (kind of like a pancake made with 1.5 Tbsp. oat bran, 2 Tbsp. nonfat Greek yogurt, and 1 egg white). You stay on that from 1-10 days depending on how much weight you have to lose. I did 2 days because I felt awful by the end of the 2nd day.

Phase 2 alternates pure protein days with protein + non-starchy veggies. You can either do every other day or 5 PV & 2 PP. The latter is what I've chosen to do. You stay on this until you reach goal weight.

Phase 3 adds 1-2 servings of fruit and 2 whole grain carb servings per day plus 2 additional servings per week of whole grains, legumes, or starchy veggies. You also get 2 "celebration" meals where you can eat anything but only 1 serving of each course (i.e. 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 dessert, 1 glass of wine). One day per week remains pure protein. You stay on this for 5 days per lb. lost.

Phase 4 Dr. Dukan claims you can eat anything you want so long as you keep 1 day per week pure protein. I'm dubious about this claim, and am planning on mostly following Phase 3 but with a bit more healthy carbs.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    Read that Kate Middleton and her Mom have used this diet .. also read that JaLo used this after her pregnancy to lose weight .. looks much like Atkins but with less fat .. although the initial period is just Lean protein ...
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Low carb is NOT Hard on the kidneys! There is a great new study showing that it actually reverses kidney disease associated with diabetes! Fear tactics are silly.
  • JessicaBuff
    JessicaBuff Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi All, I've been with MFP since December, and while I have managed to keep some weight off (which is awesome), it is slowly creeping back up on me (not so awesome). So with my wedding only 3 months away, I need to lose some 10-12 pounds, which I think is doable. It's time I get back on track.

Now, since I'm not the greatest at counting calories all day long, I was wondering if the Dukan Diet could be of help. So I have two questions for those of you on it right now:

1) How can I get plan information? The book doesn't come out here in the States (according to Barnes and Noble), until next month! I was hoping to get started on it now.........anyone know where I can get more info without having to wait for the book to become available??

2) Is this a good diet if you only want to lose some 10-12 pounds?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Earlgreygirl

My friend got the book in the U.S at books a million
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I heard that it's brilliant if you want to lose a lot of weight quickly for a particular reason (like a wedding!) but it won't necessarily stay off when you go back to eating normally.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options

OMG! lol Here IT IS! I was predicting this would make the boards within days after Nightline. It's the Protein Thursdays that make it dangerous on the Kidneys it was shared. Each Thursday all you eat is Protein, unlimited.

Simply another 'DIET' for those that don't care to take the time to do it right and relearn how to properly eat and create time for workouts. If it says you can lose weight quickly, that's the first red flag! That causes quick gain back after you've stopped the diet. Also when they talked about the 'Stars' being on it another red flag, least in my mind.

We're always free to make our own choices but I much prefer seeing the hard work most on here do and the wonderful long lasting results they put into it by making permanent changes! Now THOSE are the before and after results I love to look at on the boards!:drinker:

ETA: The info shared above comes directly from the Doctor himself that that began the diet and was interviewed on Nightline this past week regarding protein Thursdays etc.

quacking-duck.gif
    [/quote]
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    the idea behind the Atkins diet is to severely restrict carb intake, forcing the body to burn its stores of fat. In the process the kidneys produce excess uric acid ... think if someone is going to go this route .. it is recommended to increase your water intake to counter balance the concentration of uric acid ...

I think when anyone goes on any diet and then reverts to old bad habits they wil always gain back their weight ... all is a matter of choice ... Even when on Atkins type diet you can eat nutritious vegtables that are low in carbs ... such as lots of spinach, asparagus,broccoli just to name a few as well as eat many good berries such as strawberries, rasberries etc ... Your just not eating corn or peas and a lot of the breads and cereals touted as being good for you yet are ladden with sugars that spike your glycimic index ...

I never saw nightline ... but do happen to read .. and from personal experience ... since I carry my weight in my midsection ... when I am down to the last 12 lbs to loose .. the only way I get rid of it in the middle is the low carb route ...
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I heard that it's brilliant if you want to lose a lot of weight quickly for a particular reason (like a wedding!) but it won't necessarily stay off when you go back to eating normally.

Which pretty much happens after any "diet"....you have to change for life, not just for 3 weeks to fit into that dress. Not directed towards you, previous poster....but that's the reason so many non-traditional "diets" are so criticized is because people will do it for a few weeks, lose a few pounds, feel great and feel they can eat a little bit of junk here...a little bit of junk there and regain their weight (plus some!)....well of course it doesn’t work. The "diet" isn't a failure, the person is.
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    Okay - so here is my stupid question - let's say you did a "diet" like this (or another) for 3 weeks and then ate normally again and stayed within your daily calorie limit to lose weight - would you keep the weight lost from the diet off or would it come back just because of the types of food you are eating (say healthy carbs, starchy veggies & fruit, the occasional dark chocolate - lol)? I have wondered about this - it is tempting to go on a special short-term diet to lose say 10 pounds quickly - but if it is not "real" weight loss then I would want to bother - does anyone know?
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    the idea behind the Atkins diet is to severely restrict carb intake, forcing the body to burn its stores of fat. In the process the kidneys produce excess uric acid ... think if someone is going to go this route .. it is recommended to increase your water intake to counter balance the concentration of uric acid ...

Dr. Dukan tells dieters to drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day.

The study on the ketogenic diet was done at Mt. Sinai and it was done on rats bred to have diabetes.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110420/hl_afp/healthusdiseasefood