You cant drink TOO MUCH water can you?

Options
I drink a lottttt of liquids. Befire MFP it was a lot of diet pop, I would drink a can of diet pop, drink a bottle of water, drink a diet pop, drink a bottle of water. I cut the pop out except for alittle in the am and started drinking Life Water and other flavored water. I have a 22oz water bottle. Drink about 6 of those a day, on top of my flavored water which is about another 2 bottles.
Maybe its the reason my weight veries so much? Over the weekend I stayed between 1200-1700 calories and ended up gaining 4 pounds in those 2 days. Which happens constantly lately.

Replies

• proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked that, I have heard that you can drink to much water, too much or to little of something is not good is what I was told. I drink 64-90 ounces of water a day. I also read that we should drink half our weight of water in ounces, so if you weigh 200lbs you should drink 100 ounces of water. I will be checking this thread out to see what people say.
  • Muskie58
    Muskie58 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello - I would like to hear more on this subject - because I drink a lot of water as well. I'm new to MFP - so I'm still finding my way around. :smile:
  • lpm3925
    lpm3925 Posts: 39
    Options
    You can drink too much water. But I mean like 2 or 3 gallons at a time. It depletes the electrolytes in your blood, and can kill you. I don’t think the average person, even those really trying, drinks enough water. There is a ton of research out there about how much water you should drink.
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_water.php
    http://www.shapeupshop.com/weightloss/water-weight-loss.html
    I drink probably 150 ounces of water per day. That is all I have drank for the past month. No soda, no flavored water, no coffee, nothing. Artificial sweeteners affect your blood ph and can cause you to stop losing weight. Our bodies are meant for one liquid. Water, and that’s it. Anything else, I feel from my experience, has a negative impact on your health. I mean stop and think about what those little packets are mostly, manmade chemical compounds. How can dumping a sleeve of chemicals into your water be good for you?
    As you rehydrate yourself, break away from caffeine, and stabilize your blood glucose and ph levels you will not retain water. You may initially, but once your body’s chemistry is right it will function like the machine it is supposed to. Your kidneys will work better, which in turns eases the stress on your liver, which let’s your liver breakdown the toxins and fat you are trying eliminate from your body.
    My wife finally started to listen to me, and she has dropped about 5 pounds. The general rule that I follow on how much to drink is this: Drink until your urine is almost clear (note some vitamins color your urine and this becomes impossible, but absent vitamins, etc). This is how the men in women in the military are trained to assess their hydration levels. I had a friend in the Marine Corp., They actually have a huge wall chart in the restrooms to measure your urine color by.