"You don't need to lose weight"

Options
I'm not a supermodel by any means, but I hear this a lot. I know I don't "need" to lose weight but if I choose to do so, there is definitely some to lose! It's more about feeling good and wanting the absolute best for myself. Everyone has a range they consider healthy, which may be above or below your BMI depending on your frame.

How do YOU respond to such comments?

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I say that I have a number in my head and its a totally healthy bmi.

I know that I don't need to lose weight because I am now a healthy weight but as someone who was overweight I want to hit the all important goal weight and stay there.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I get this to,I still have 20 I want to lose but everyone says oh no you cant lose 20 more you will be sick.Really????I think not
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i say i'm not happy with my "jiggles" and working out and eating healthy will lose the jiggles....
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I say thank you. and then tell myself that my hard work is paying off if people are now telling me I dont' need to lose any more weight. I use that compliment as fuel to work harder. :smile:
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 lbs and am currently working on maintenance and being as fit as possible. I would like to lose a couple more lbs, but that is for my own satisfaction. I know I don't "need" to lose any more.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I tell them its not about being skinny, its about being healthy.

Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you are healthy...
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Rather than say that you're losing weight try a different approach... I usually just smile and nod and tell them that i'm eating healthily and getting fitter. There's not much negative they can say to that!
  • chris1132
    chris1132 Posts: 58
    Options
    I HATE when people say that to me. I am in the low end of my "healthy BMI" but I still want to lose a few pounds. I have a lot of issues with it.

First of all, it's my body. Not theirs! Just because X,Y, or Z at the office wants to sit around and eat potato chips while watching four hours of television at night doesn't mean that's what I want to do.

Secondly, I'm doing it in a healthy way.

Thirdly, the people who say that have not seen me naked (except for my boyfriend...tehehe). I dress well for my body and hide my extra pounds.

And finally, my frame is very small, even though I'm taller than average. Extra weight sits poorly on me.

Sorry, ranting now! But that happens to me a lot and it's really annoying and nosy.
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. Sometimes it comes across as a compliment and other times it comes across kind of mean. Just smile and say, "thank you."
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I HATE when people say that to me. I am in the low end of my "healthy BMI" but I still want to lose a few pounds. I have a lot of issues with it.

First of all, it's my body. Not theirs! Just because X,Y, or Z at the office wants to sit around and eat potato chips while watching four hours of television at night doesn't mean that's what I want to do.

Secondly, I'm doing it in a healthy way.

Thirdly, the people who say that have not seen me naked (except for my boyfriend...tehehe). I dress well for my body and hide my extra pounds.

And finally, my frame is very small, even though I'm taller than average. Extra weight sits poorly on me.

Sorry, ranting now! But that happens to me a lot and it's really annoying and nosy.

The part about them not seeing you naked...Love it, I relate! I too hide things pretty well...if they only knew what losing 90lbs looks like under the cute clothes! Whew!
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The real question is, why do you feel the need to tell people that you're trying to lose weight in the first place? Do you like it when they tell you that you don't need to lose any weight? I was having a conversation with a co-worker a couple of months ago, and she is probably a good 100-150 pounds overweight, when our other co-worker approached (weighing ~120 pounds) and asked if we would support her in trying to lose five pounds. The obese co-worker of mine just calmly told her to GET OUT OF MY OFFICE. :laugh: . Then she said, "I hate people like that", and I couldn't disagree with her.

IMHO, it gets old hearing people who appear to be in good shape obsess about being overweight; it's like the guy who goes to the gym every night telling me that he needs bigger biceps. Maybe you do, but I don't give a crap. I might not tell you that you don't need to lose weight, but I'd probably give you a good eye roll when you started talking to me about it.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You know, I've been getting that a lot lately - that I don't really need to lose any more... I think it's because I was big for so long and now I'm down 60+ lbs, so it's a dramatic difference. Plus, I've always been big. I am also reaching the same sizes as some of my friends... It's actually motivating some of them to get moving and start working out. Which is wonderful!

Truth is, I'm not happy w/just being "smaller" than I was. I'm still not at a healthy BMI.

I usually respond that I want to get to a healthy body mass index THEN I want to tone up and have a hard body :happy: Seriously, I would love to be toned. But right now, my priority is getting to a healthy BMI. Once I'm there, then I'll focus on the rest (toning, etc).
  • TonyTrinch
    Options
    I love how other people feel sooooooo free to comment on someone else's weight. How did it get to where that was socially acceptable? That said, personally, I'd pass out of someone made a comment like that to me, hehe, and I might actually kiss them. Instead, I get the other end of that spectrum. I ran into someone a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't seen in several years. He said, "Wow dude, you really packed on the pounds, what happened?"

I liked it better in days when folks just talked cr*p about you behind your back. This new fangled world where it's Ok to say whatever you want as long as it's to someone's face, really stinks.

How did I respond to his comment and how would I respond to someone telling I didn't need to lose anymore weight. I didn't respond, I just walked away. I didn't politely smile, I didn't say anything snotty, I just turned around and walked away and reminded myself why I hadn't seen him in several years. He's a rude jerk and not someone I wanted actively in my life and he just reminded me of why.

Unless I ask your opinion or advice, don't offer it. I don't care if you're "really concerned" or "just worried about you." Boundaries people, learn to love them again. If you can disrespect me enough to offer your thoughts on my weight unsolicitedly, then I am very comfortable respecting myself enough to move from your presence. I'm done with those kinds of people in my life.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I get the same reaction, even though I'm at the top end of my healthy BMI. I dress well to hide the extra pounds usually and most of my co-workers, and my husband could all stand to lose a few pounds. My "excuse" for them is that my clothes don't fit. I tell them "I either lose some weight or buy a new wardrobe. And I hate clothes shopping". That usually seems to satisfy them. :)
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Yeah I get that a lot, actually. The clothes/small frame thing is on point and really the only areas of my body that aren't at least muscular (not toned) are my abs/lovehandles. So of course everyone's like "Oh, you 're going to be like those hungry man commercials and blow away."

I just smile because I know when I leave the gym I feel better than they do all day long.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I hear that a lot at work. I consider the source- they are usually struggling with their weight but not making the changes needed to drop any pounds of their own. The larger they are the more I hear it from them. I almost never hear it from those who have healthy habits and are at a good weight.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time. I just tell them I am trying to get toned and my weight is just a frame of reference. When I get to the SIZE I want to be (jean/dress size) I will be happy with my body. I may weigh more than my goal weight, but I will know it is muscle and not fat. I also tell them that since I was thin all my life, I can feel the fat. It's heavy and I don't like the feeling and want it gone. And if they can't/don't/won't understand then they are just BFJs and not worth my time trying to explain it any further.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm not a supermodel by any means, but I hear this a lot. I know I don't "need" to lose weight but if I choose to do so, there is definitely some to lose! It's more about feeling good and wanting the absolute best for myself. Everyone has a range they consider healthy, which may be above or below your BMI depending on your frame.

How do YOU respond to such comments?

I don't talk about it with people who don't understand that even at target weight it takes a certain amount of effort to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If someones rudely thinks I want their comments on the food I eat...ie the healthy, balanced, full flavored, appropriately portions I eat are welcome I simply say...oh I prefer how I feel when I fuel my body with good stuff and how can you not like a great blueberry (or whatever tasty goodies I have). If they are asking out of a true desire to know about my choices I will share but only when the comments or questions are sincere and not snarky etc. Otherwise I have learned that discussig good choices with people opens you up for insane rudeness and even being called names like "skinny b%^ch" which I personally find offensive.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Rather than say that you're losing weight try a different approach... I usually just smile and nod and tell them that i'm eating healthily and getting fitter. There's not much negative they can say to that!

This is what I do as well, I shift the focus away from weight and to health and fitness.
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options
    I reply "b!tches be crazy."

And then shake my head with a wry smile.

And then change the subject.