The Debate Continues - Weigh-Ins: Daily v. Weekly

Options
Hey everyone, just looking for some input - as well, this seems to be a popular topic. What are your thoughts on how often you should weigh in? Daily or weekly?

My vote: Daily. I find it works for me - keeps me very focused and I don't beat myself up over daily fluctuations. I've weighed in weekly in the past when I was enrolled in other weight loss programs, but I found that if I fell off the wagon earlier in the week, I would skip weigh ins thinking I would lose it next week - which never happened - and resulted in my abandoning the program. Bought a good quality electronic scale, weigh myself the same time every morning, and only record drops from the previous lows. Weight loss has been consistent, typically 3 or 4 consecutive days of drops followed by 2 or 3 days of plateaus. Keeps me very motivated. Interested to hear what's working for everyone out there! SSG.

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every two weeks to monthly...This is because for me it is easy to get addicted to the scale... I don't own one, so I use the one at my gym.

I measure myself instead... It is a much more accurate way of measuring fat loss... a scale will tell you if your body is lighter.. it doesnt' tell you if you have lost fat or muscle or water....

For instance.. The past three months I have only lost 4 pounds.. but I have lost almost 9 inches.

Just my opinion.
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I Weigh in Daily.
    As i would know if i am eating too much if my scale goes up :sad:
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I think whatever keeps you motivated is the best thing to do. I weigh in every day. It keeps me accountable.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    weekly:smile:
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Daily - and several times throughout
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I get very discouraged when I don't see much change, so I don't weight daily OR weekly. I weigh once a month. Well, mostly- I haven't weighed in almost 2 months now.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. For me, it keeps me accountable. i.e. if I have a binge and see the numbers go up the next morning, it's motivation to not do it again (or to do it less often). Seems to be working for me. I only record my weight once a week, though.
  • Alison_84
    Alison_84 Posts: 86
    Options
    I weigh in daily, but only "check in" on this site weekly, and use that number as my "official" weight for the week.

I record my daily weights on a line graph I created on my computer... I have each month set in a different colour. It's pretty cool to look at - you see the daily fluctuations, but also the overall loss. Mine looks like a jaggedy downward facing line. I wanted to do this to see what weight loss REALLY looks like... some days up, some days down, but overall the trend is down.

I also take my inches every 2 weeks and record on this site.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Daily works for me.... the ups and downs don't bother me....but it keeps me on track ! It reminds me how far I have come....and I don't want to go back...the scale is my friend....every morning me reminding me what my ultimate goal is.
  • ltosti
    ltosti Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday as well, to hold myself accountable. Although I can say that I do get a little disheartened by any increases. I try to keep in mind that those are normal from day to day. Like you though, I only record a loss if it is below my previous low.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Weekly - and on Mondays, so if I blow it on the weekends there will be immediate consequences. I have weighed daily, too, and I have a friend who weighs daily and she's getting really good results. But the last time I weighed daily I gained 20 pounds. Weird, but there it is. I think it's just whatever works for you.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    For me, the daily WI made my day way to emotional. If I saw a loss I was estatic, but if I saw a gain or a plateau I got so down on myself and most of the time ended up taking my frustrations to food.

This time around I'm completely doing the opposite from what I've done in the past, becasue CLEARLY the past hasn't work for me.

Once a week WI for me.
  • patrick1daugherty
    Options
    NICE WORK YO! i too weigh in every day. same time every morning but i also check before i go to bed...helps me judge the days productivity..i agree that it helps (for me) keep me honest and consistent with my diet and exercise. essentially i am trying to hold on to the wagon with two hands , feet, teeth, etc..hahaha

your 87 lbs is a true inspiration, ive lost a good 16lbs since joining MFP but total im down 35lbs since jan 7th. and i have 35lbs more to go.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

PD
  • BigMattyD
    BigMattyD Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly or every 2 weeks, before I would do daily weigh-ins but the fluctuation would bother me. Now I use measuring tape and the scale on Sunday mornings and record my changes. I have been much happier and far more consistent with this.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It definitely keeps me motivated and on track. I record my weight when I've had a loss.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself weekly i get too obsessed with my weight if i do it daily and that just destroys my motivation i surpose its what ever works best for you
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    I weigh myself daily (sometimes in the morning, afternoon, and before sleep). This way I can see what I eat through out the day fluctuates my weight. And good point, dont get discoraged when the scale jumps 2-3 pounds here and there. My weekend weight is usually 221-218 and my week weight is 216-213. This is obviously because I eat and drink (alcohol) more on the weekends.

People are always talking about their weight loss diminishing and they come to a plateau. I'm in shape currently and like to try new diets to see how it moves my weight (hence the weighing myself multiple times a day).

If you are uncomfortable with your weight I wouldnt suggest weighing yourself once a week. Not buying a scale and working out at a gym (weighting yourself there) can most certainly help.
  • Renise01
    Renise01 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do monthly! But its just because I tend to fixate on the numbers! Do whatever you find works best for you! Just be sure to keep moving forward, even when setbacks occur!
  • susancelli928
    Options
    I do it daily. However I did hear that it is best to do in on a weekly basis because you don't see the difference day to day.
  • jantim1990
    jantim1990 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Mondays , Wednesdays and Fridays. Every other day. But I usually record the Friday weigh-in because it's the last one before a new week. Once i get farther into my weight-loss journey, I may go to a daily weigh-in, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    You are doing an awesome job!! 87 pounds....that is just wonderful!! I bet you feel alot better too!! :happy: