I understand the calories, but the other stuff???

Options
I know that I need to consume my daily calories, but how important are the other categories-like fat and carbs? I've been paying attention to the calorie counter more than anything, but should I also be aiming to reach the other goals? Any info would be most appreciated!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• back2beingme
    Options
    I know that I need to consume my daily calories, but how important are the other categories-like fat and carbs? I've been paying attention to the calorie counter more than anything, but should I also be aiming to reach the other goals? Any info would be most appreciated!! :bigsmile:
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I personally try to be dead on with the calories and carbs, and I go over on protein b/c I lift weights every day and I am always way under on fat. You really just have to listen to your own body.
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    I try to stay as close to my calorie limit as possible, a good bit under on carbs, though nothing drastic (carbs are a big weak spot for me and I notice right away when I eat too many, that's when I gain weight). I don't mind going a little over on my fat, as long as it's good fats (monounsaturated fats from almonds, etc.) instead of saturated and trans fats. Protein, last of all, you should try to get at least your limit. You don't want to go below what the site recommends, because you need protein in order to support your muscles so you lose fat instead of muscle mass, and it's okay to go over in the protein, especially if you're doing a lot of exercise.

At least that's how I do it, but everyone is different, so like amber said, try to take into consideration what you learn about nutrition, but still always listen to your body first.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    One thing that may really help you balance out the other categories a little is if you keep a running total of all of the categories available by viewing the full report (button at the bottom of the food page). If you keep your sodium in range (recommended max is 1200-2400mg daily) and get enough fibre (25g-35g daily) your carbs/fats/proteins should also be in better shape.
  • back2beingme
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I just love this site...:blushing:
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've been managing to keep everything in check EXCEPT sugar - I just can't get down to 24g sugar daily, it's next to impossible, how does anyone else do it? The main two I watch are my calories and my carbs, i'm naturally under on fat because of my eating habits, over on fiber because I have high cholesterol and it was recommended but other than that I try not to pay too much attention...except for that darn sugar that ticks me off everytime!
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Remember it is also glucose that replinishes muscle energy stores so we need to eat complex carbs daily so that our muscles can do what we want them to do....work hard, tone and tighten. Protein is for rebuilding the muscle, carbs is their energy source......
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm alone here, but I don't track any of the carbs, sugar, or protein. I track fiber, iron, and fat (to make sure I get enough, not the other way around). I don't think it's something to sweat about unless you have an unbalanced diet.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I try to watch calories very closely, but find the other information very useful to support that end. Days when it's difficult to stay in my calories I almost always find that I am low in protein and high in fat or carbs. So it's useful to track them all, but I don't worry too much about the other numbers if I am staying within my calories and feeling satisfied.
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Yeah, I personally track calories, carbs and fat, just for general guidlines, but I don't worry too much about protein; I track sodium instead and give myself a much lower limit than what they recommend on the site, while still making sure I get enough for what my body needs. I also track fiber, but have to do that manually, and aim for at least 35 g a day.

As for sugar, 24 is just ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure it's okay to go over (I go way over) as long as it's natural sugar, and you do make an effort to go more for veggies than fruit.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

i ONLY track cals
    Personally it's hard enough to eat right, work-out and loose weight...and stay within my cal allotment...I (again personally) can't be bothered with tracking protein, fat etc
    I try to eat a balanced diet (some days better than others) and have lost weight and maintained my weight loss

GOOD LUCK and find out what works for you!
    Kim,