Fasting to break a Plateau?

Options
Lately I have seemed to hit a plateau and was wondering if anyone has used a fast day (not a long term thing) to break the plateau and "shock" the body into losing again. I am eating the required amount of calories, counting all of them, exercising, etc. Had steady but not overwhelming loss since starting MFP in Nov. Now I seem to be fixed on current weight and it will not change. Just wanted to hear other thoughts and opinions. Definitely staying with the program as it works, but does get discouraging at times.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the opposite. Have a day or 2 where you eat maintenance calories or slightly higher. This may shock your body to lose weight when you return to your caloric deficit.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Fasting will give you weight loss results but when you start to eat again you will gain back. I have struggled with this for years, so i know from experience.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the opposite. Have a day or 2 where you eat maintenance calories or slightly higher. This may shock your body to lose weight when you return to your caloric deficit.

This right here. Whenever I hit a plateau I increase my intake for a few days, and then drop it back to where I was. That has usually always helped.
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    I agree with all ^^^ eat slightly less calories than you are now and try to work out more. Eventually you will find the right mix of both to continue your weight loss and get off that plateau. Fasting may work for instant gratification but will come back to haunt you in the end. You need to level your body out and eat consistent (whether it be lower or higher with a harder workout).
  • LaurenAshley1127
    Options
    I am having the same problem as well... How many days should you increase your calories before dropping back down? 1? 2?
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I knew you folks would have some real experiences to share. That is one of the great things about this site. I appreciate the thoughts.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It may work, albeit temporarily, then rebound with the opposite effect. The better suggestion, as everyone has already stated, would be to increase your caloric intake for a couple of days, then go back to your normal calorie deficit. It's a better way of shocking your system to boost your metabolism.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have a day of eating over I break the plateau.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I agree with all ^^^ eat slightly less calories than you are now and try to work out more. Eventually you will find the right mix of both to continue your weight loss and get off that plateau. Fasting may work for instant gratification but will come back to haunt you in the end. You need to level your body out and eat consistent (whether it be lower or higher with a harder workout).

Uhh...false. Never eat less and workout more. Eat more and workout the same, or a little more. Then you'll see the loss.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options

This right here. Whenever I hit a plateau I increase my intake for a few days, and then drop it back to where I was. That has usually always helped.

Same here. Every time I eat way over my daily calorie allotment, I end up at a lighter weight a couple of days later.