Chip shop

Options
Ever since I've started trying to eat healthier the only "fat" thing I want more than anything is food from the chippy. If I was to give into my craving what would be the best thing to get? I don't like fish though.

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but do you mean french fries, potato chips, or chocolate chips?
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips are yummy!!! :)
  • silver_lining87
    Options
    French fries, sort of.

chips.jpg Like these ones.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OP meant these chunky fries we get here in the UK, almost like potato wedges...

I think you should get some chips but have just a small handful to settle your cravings. Otherwise, you'll just think about it more and then eat more than you really want later on...

now I want some chips...
  • Flossycat100
    Options
    I think Silver_Lining means 'chips' as opposed to 'confectionery' or 'crisps'. This is what you would normally buy from a chip shop and what would normally go with fish :wink:

OMG Silver_Lining, the chips in that picture look AMAZING!
  • writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    Im traveling to the UK in May! Whats a good chip shop to visit?
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think the chipolata sausages are about the most healthy thing in a chip shop :o)
    But the best thing about counting your calories is that you can budget so that you CAN have chips!

My local chippy now does mackerel. The Mackeroll is my favourite, and a sustainable fish too! Another plus is that it is high in good fats / omega oils, and you can't eat too much of it as it's a strong fish!

I am going to a friend's house for pizza on Friday so I will go on my exercise bike when I get home from work. If I work off 300-400 calories (so I have ~1000 for the evening) I can eat pizza :o)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Chicken, but dont eat the skin.

Make sure you share the chips with someone else! I have an award-winning fish'n'chip shop up the road, and about once a month my fiance and I will split a cod supper - yum! I usually pick off most of the fish batter too.

If they grill their burgers without too much oil, have one of those with salad, and dont eat all the bun.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think the chipolata sausages are about the most healthy thing in a chip shop :o)
    But the best thing about counting your calories is that you can budget so that you CAN have chips!

My local chippy now does mackerel. The Mackeroll is my favourite, and a sustainable fish too! Another plus is that it is high in good fats / omega oils, and you can't eat too much of it as it's a strong fish!

I am going to a friend's house for pizza on Friday so I will go on my exercise bike when I get home from work. If I work off 300-400 calories (so I have ~1000 for the evening) I can eat pizza :o)

You get mackerels in your chip shop?! I'm so jealous!!!
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    My advice is to have whatever it is you're craving and then compensate for it by making sure your calories for the week average out as normal (e.g. by replacing a meal with soup the day before and day after your visit to the chip shop). It works for me :)

I used to crave saveloy and chips like mad but I found that when I eventually gave in and ate it it gave me horrible wind and upset my tummy as I wasn't used to eating such unhealthy food anymore.
  • Flossycat100
    Options
    Writenina, every town will have a number of fish and chip shops. The ones to look out for are the ones which don't have a lot of pre-cooked food hanging around under hot lamps. The danger with these is a) the food is chewy, and b) always gives me terrible heartburn.

The best chippy in our area cooks everything, including the chips, to order, and it is really lovely. Always say 'yes' to salt and vinegar too- it's not the same without them. Enjoy!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Writenina, where abouts in teh UK are you travelling to? Many chip shops are independent, so it would be hard to give you the name of a chain, but there are lots of "award-winning" establishments!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    And now I want to go to a chip shop. Too bad for me it would not only be bad for the diet, but bad for the pocket book since I'd have to go overseas to do it right!!

Best I'll be able to do is buy some steak fries (chunky fries sold in the freezer section here in the US) and cover them in salt and vinegar.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I am SO hungry for fish and chips now!
  • writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    Well, we are flying into Gatwick, spending 2 days in London, then driving North up to Scotland and then back down. We haven't completely mapped out our itinerary yet. I think were going to drive up the east coast then back down the west.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Oh, and have some mushy peas - the soluble fibre will help lower cholesterol :)
  • silver_lining87
    Options
    Sorry to make you all crave chips lol, I almost always come under my calorie count anyway, I did originally think of getting them on Friday but I'm going to the Gym so I'll end up thinking that's a waste of working out so maybe tomorrow on my rest day.
  • silver_lining87
    Options
    Oh, and have some mushy peas - the soluble fibre will help lower cholesterol :)

I love mushy peas!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Well, we are flying into Gatwick, spending 2 days in London, then driving North up to Scotland and then back down. We haven't completely mapped out our itinerary yet. I think were going to drive up the east coast then back down the west.
    I've found fish and chips to vary quite a lot between London, northern England and Scotland. I prefer the southern type, because that's what I'm used to! But if you're staying somewhere central with no local favourite chip shops, don't go to a tourist trap as you'll be sorely disappointed, wait until you're up north.
  • staceywoo
    staceywoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I love fish and chips from the chippy too, but I haven't been since I started dieting. Instead I've started buying those Young's Chip Shop battered cod portions from the freezer section (Tesco always has them on half price or BOGOF) and baking those with a potato cut into chip size and sprayed with 1 cal spray. Cover with vinegar and a bit of salt and voila, fish and chip heaven for just under 500cals!