Foods that keep you full?

Options
I'm having trouble finding good foods that keep me full until it's time to eat again. I don't want to be snacking all day... Any ideas?? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks!!

Replies

• paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/foods-that-make-you-feel-full

1| white potatoes Curse carbs all you want, but fiber-packed potatoes kept participants in the Australian study full 2 hours after eating. Potatoes are one of the most filling foods, and keep you sated three times longer than the average food. But beware: Researchers were surprised to find that fatty fried potatoes like chips and French fries weren't as satisfying and didn't fare as well.

2| eggs This healthy food option has been called the "perfect protein," and a new study confirms protein's role in satiety. Researchers at the University of Washington found that people who eat a 30 percent protein diet ate 441 calories less each day than those on a 15 percent protein diet.

3| hot oatmeal It's the most satisfying breakfast cereal around, providing more protein per serving than any other grain as well as a good dose of fiber. "Add some low-fat dairy like yogurt or skim milk and you should stay full all morning," says Elisa Zied, R.D., author of So What Can I Eat? and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

4| beans Their high fiber content is key. According to Ida Laquatra, Ph.D., R.D., director of global nutrition for Heinz, "research shows that high-fiber foods are processed slower and last longer in the stomach, resulting in a feeling of fullness long after they have been eaten."

5| fish Your last piece of yellowtail sashimi may send you calling for pizza an hour after you finish, but cooked whitefish is proven to keep you full. For best results, steam or grill a thick whitefish, such as cod, bass, or halibut.

6| soup Research from Pennsylvania State University found that dieters who ate soup two times per day were more successful in losing weight and maintained, on average, a total weight loss of 16 pounds after 1 year. Chunky, broth-based soups, such as chicken and vegetable, are most filling.

7| apples An apple a day can keep you healthy?and full. High water content may be the reason. "Foods that contain water have more bulk and a lower energy density — meaning you get more food for less calories," Zied says. And do we even need to mention the fiber?

8| beef Packed with protein and micronutrients like iron and zinc, a little beef goes a long way. Partner beef with a high-fiber side dish like wild rice or bulgur and you can close the kitchen after dinner.

9| salad "Salad adds the bulk to a meal that keeps you full with less calories," according to Zied. Additional research from Penn State shows that people who eat salad at the start of a meal wind up taking in fewer calories all day than those who skip salad.

10| popcorn A?great snack that provides bulk, popcorn keeps your mouth moving longer than the same amount of calories of other snacks like potato chips or pretzels.
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try Whole grain products, just be careful, there is alot of carbs that kind of stuff.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd... chickpeas. They're full of fiber and protein. I eat some chickpeas and I'm not hungry for hours. Canned ones are good (high in sodium, though, so I'd look for a low-sodium label).
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I find porridge for breakfast keeps me going until lunch time. Generally protein tends to be more filling so anything with a higher protein content for meals or snacks. Good luck x
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I find that apples keep me really full!Always have one for breakfast and another at lunch, it stops me from snacking on 'bad foods' during the day :)
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Breakfast...kashi go lean oatmeal! Keeps me full until lunch! :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Egg whites keep me pretty full. There's nothing wrong with snacking on healthy stuff all day long though, along with three rounded meals. Keeps your metabolism up. ;)
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/foods-that-make-you-feel-full

1| white potatoes Curse carbs all you want, but fiber-packed potatoes kept participants in the Australian study full 2 hours after eating. Potatoes are one of the most filling foods, and keep you sated three times longer than the average food. But beware: Researchers were surprised to find that fatty fried potatoes like chips and French fries weren't as satisfying and didn't fare as well.

2| eggs This healthy food option has been called the "perfect protein," and a new study confirms protein's role in satiety. Researchers at the University of Washington found that people who eat a 30 percent protein diet ate 441 calories less each day than those on a 15 percent protein diet.

3| hot oatmeal It's the most satisfying breakfast cereal around, providing more protein per serving than any other grain as well as a good dose of fiber. "Add some low-fat dairy like yogurt or skim milk and you should stay full all morning," says Elisa Zied, R.D., author of So What Can I Eat? and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

4| beans Their high fiber content is key. According to Ida Laquatra, Ph.D., R.D., director of global nutrition for Heinz, "research shows that high-fiber foods are processed slower and last longer in the stomach, resulting in a feeling of fullness long after they have been eaten."

5| fish Your last piece of yellowtail sashimi may send you calling for pizza an hour after you finish, but cooked whitefish is proven to keep you full. For best results, steam or grill a thick whitefish, such as cod, bass, or halibut.

6| soup Research from Pennsylvania State University found that dieters who ate soup two times per day were more successful in losing weight and maintained, on average, a total weight loss of 16 pounds after 1 year. Chunky, broth-based soups, such as chicken and vegetable, are most filling.

7| apples An apple a day can keep you healthy?and full. High water content may be the reason. "Foods that contain water have more bulk and a lower energy density — meaning you get more food for less calories," Zied says. And do we even need to mention the fiber?

8| beef Packed with protein and micronutrients like iron and zinc, a little beef goes a long way. Partner beef with a high-fiber side dish like wild rice or bulgur and you can close the kitchen after dinner.

9| salad "Salad adds the bulk to a meal that keeps you full with less calories," according to Zied. Additional research from Penn State shows that people who eat salad at the start of a meal wind up taking in fewer calories all day than those who skip salad.

10| popcorn A?great snack that provides bulk, popcorn keeps your mouth moving longer than the same amount of calories of other snacks like potato chips or pretzels.

Some great ideas there - thanks for posting!
    Looks like protein and fibre are the key.
    Oh, and refined sugars (an instant sugar-rush and quick come-down) will make you feel hungrier sooner.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt does the trick for me.....Chobani mango is my all time favorite.
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Greek Yogurt Parfeit! Cup of Plain Greek Yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, granola & a teaspoon of honey!!!! I usually don't get hungry until lunch time when I eat this for breakfast!!!:happy:
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding good foods that keep me full until it's time to eat again. I don't want to be snacking all day... Any ideas?? Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks!!

how often are you eating?

you should be eating a "meal" every 3-4 hours
  • armywife121110
    Options
    unfortunetly i'm not a "beakfast" person. I have been trying to eat at least something in the morning but by lunch time i feel like i haven't eaten all day!! I try to incorprate good foods into my meals but sometimes they cost so much so i usually just go without (which i know isn't good)
  • xafricanqueen07x
    xafricanqueen07x Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hot oatmeal in the morning keeps me full,
    Also I eat greek yogurt mixed with grapes and that will fill you up
    One mango works well for me
    And lots and lots of water and protein!
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    a lot of the foods on that list are my top choices to stay full! oatmeal with a 1/2 cup skim milk and fruit keeps me full until lunch. i'm also a fan of egg whites and bananas to stay full. recently i found apple cranberry bran muffins at trader joe's that are only 80 calories and have 13 grams of fiber!!! they are great!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    For a snack definitely try bananas they tend to keep me full longer than apples
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - hard boiled eggs. Easy, cheap, portable and satisfying. I add pepper and paprika for taste

Lunch - chicken breast - when I eat chicken I stay full for about 5 hours straight! no cravings!

Dinner - Steak, chicken, or fish.

BASICALLY ANYTHING PROTEIN :)
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - hard boiled eggs. Easy, cheap, portable and satisfying. I add pepper and paprika for taste

Lunch - chicken breast - when I eat chicken I stay full for about 5 hours straight! no cravings!

Dinner - Steak, chicken, or fish.

BASICALLY ANYTHING PROTEIN :)

Sounds like a tasty day minus the eggy-weggs.
  • arosegeo
    arosegeo Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    edimame is great and filling